Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Travel BCD

Started by wetpixel ·

  • 111Posts
  • 111Replies

Read-only discussion

Travel BCD

111 posts
  1. Can't be worse than my Chute II, which rides up all the time and can't be adjusted small enough to fit my frame.

     

    Guess I need to eat more. :P

    I had a chute II I think they are brilliant :D Sadly it got warn out.

    You cannot be any smaller than my ex. Hers fit brilliantly, but guess she had a couple of natural extras to fill it out a wee ;)

  2. So I tried out the OMS aluminum plate with harness, Oxycheq STA and 45lb wing in the pool today, and I'm NEVER going back to a BCD. Man. It is amazing in the water. No drag, no riding up.. and the Oxycheq wing just feels... right. I was also wearing a Henderson 7mm semi-dry, and I put 2 x 2lb weights in side pockets on the lower cam band, and had to wear 14-16 more lbs around my waist to feel like I'd be nice and heavy with an empty tank.

     

    Seems like a lot of weight. I can see how the 6lb backplate would be handy for local diving!

     

    Not cheap, but not necessarily more expensive than a nice BCD.

  3. Who did you buy the Oxycheq wing from?

     

    You should have gotten the Koplin dogbone travel plate.

     

    Did you get the Hog harness?

     

    Also, why did you go with a 45 lb. wing instead of their 30 lb. wing?

     

    My DM prefers the 45 lb. wing due to its extra lift. I used to have a 27 lb. wing but it was not enough lift to help out another diver, so I have switched to a 36 lb. wing.

     

    I dive in temperate waters, 12-24 degrees C, normally with a drysuit or wetsuit in summer, steel tank. If you're diving in the tropics 27 lb. is enough, 36 lb. is more than enough, and 45 lbs. is way overkill.

  4. Who did you buy the Oxycheq wing from?

     

    You should have gotten the Koplin dogbone travel plate.

     

    Did you get the Hog harness?

     

    Also, why did you go with a 45 lb. wing instead of their 30 lb. wing?  

     

    My DM prefers the 45 lb. wing due to its extra lift.  I used to have a 27 lb. wing but it was not enough lift to help out another diver, so I have switched to a 36 lb. wing.

     

    I dive in temperate waters, 12-24 degrees C, normally with a drysuit or wetsuit in summer, steel tank.  If you're diving in the tropics 27 lb. is enough, 36 lb. is more than enough, and 45 lbs. is way overkill.

    Oxycheq wing, direct from Patrick. I do have the dogbone travel plate (manufactured by Koplin, but sold through Oxycheq (?)). Why is it more comfortable than a full AL wing? I am going to try it out, but probably later.

     

    Got OMS deluxe harness.

     

    45lb wing because 7mm semi-dry, and probably overweighted so I sit still on the bottom for photo. Wasn't sure that a 30lb would do it. Although, I did get the 30lb as well because I'm sure I will be diving tropics soon. ;)

  5. Your next purchase should be the SS plate, because it is much better to get the weight off your belt and distributed on your back.

     

    But wait until Patrick comes out with the SS plates with slots for tank bands.

     

    The dogbone plate is smaller, but I have not weighed it against the Halcyon Al. The fit is better than a standard plate for me and the suit I am wearing with it.

     

    Oh yeah, disclaimer, I sell Halcyon and will be selling Oxycheq soon.

     

    I tried to send you a mail, but the system gobbled it up...

     

    Scott Koplin makes plates, SS Goodman handles (really really nice) and a bunch of other great stuff and Oxycheq markets and sells them. Scott also will sell direct if requested.

  6. Your next purchase should be the SS plate, because it is much better to get the weight off your belt and distributed on your back.

     

    Scott Koplin makes plates, SS Goodman handles (really really nice) and a bunch of other great stuff and Oxycheq markets and sells them.  Scott also will sell direct if requested.

    Yeah. Well, for local diving I'll get a SS plate. The OMS AL plate seems to fit me fine. If I have problems with it, I'll experiment some more.

     

    Most likely, I'll rig up some sort of travel tropical rig with the dogbone plate and a much more simple harness than the OMS deluxe one.

     

    What's a SS Goodman handle?

  7. No need to reinvent the wheel, that's why everyone has gone back to the Hog (DIR) single piece of webbing method. Those of us who like to carry stuff utilize drysuit pockets or RH pocket.

     

    Do you have the OMS no sag pockets? Let me know if you have problems with the zippers.

     

    The Goodman handle Halcyon and everyone provides with their cannister lights is aluminum. It is a hands free handle, meaning when you have the light head in your hand, you can still use your hand to do stuff, like save your buddy or whatever.

     

    I am still experimenting on using this with digital camera photography.

     

    BTW, send me an e-mail, please.

  8. No need to reinvent the wheel, that's why everyone has gone back to the Hog (DIR) single piece of webbing method.  Those of us who like to carry stuff utilize drysuit pockets or RH pocket.

     

    Do you have the OMS no sag pockets?  Let me know if you have problems with the zippers.

    On Craig's recommendation, I got the OMS BCA 266 Utility Pouch, which is large enough for my needs.

  9. I use a Halcyon SS backplate and their single-tank (27 lb lift) wing, and love it. the main things I like are reduced drag (even compared to a wing-style Seaquest Balance, my old BC), much easier trim, and a significant reduction in total weight (including backplate) needed on a dive. Maybe I should repeat "reduced drag" two or three more times, as I believe that is by far the most important advantage of this rig for u/w photographers.

     

    My wife uses the Halcyon aluminum backplate with the same wing, and also loves it as well. We also both use it with their storage pack to hold a SMB (submersible marker buoy). We only dive single aluminum tanks, tropical Indo-Pacific, so this wing has plenty of lift for our needs.

     

    The one big downside with the SS backplate is travel weight, so I was very interested to read on this thread about the Koplin/Oxycheq "dog-bone" travel plate and immediately went to check their website.

     

    According to the travel plate weights 1.0 kg (2.2 lbs), which is about the same as the Halcyon (and most other) aluminum backplates. A light-weight single tank adaptor (also cut away) to go with the dogbone plate weights another 0.5 kg., which takes the total weight 3.4 lbs. (about 1.55 kg). That's only 2.6 lbs (or 1.2 kg) more a full stainless steel backplate (6 lbs, or 2.7 kg).

     

    The dogbone plate looks neat, but the only reason I'd ever leave my stainless steel backplate behind would be to save weight on a flight. ,So it seems it would make more sense for me to get a STA-less aluminum backplate for trips, and save as much weight as possible.

     

    The other drawback of the fishbone design I see is that I wouldn't be able to stow my SMB in the Halcyon storage pack, which bolts to the backplate, meaning I'd have to carry it externally. I carry the largest SMB I've been able to find (the OMS 10 foot sausage), which would be quite awkward to carry externally and would probably add a lot of drag, so this is not a minor consideration.

     

    In any event, if you're still diving with a wrap-around vest BC, or even a "wing-style" BC like the Seaquest, you owe it to yourself to try out a backplate and wing sometime, particularly if you're in the market for a new BC. But if all available funds are already committed to buying new camera gear, on the other hand, then I'd strongly suggest postponing that test-dive.

     

    Robert Delfs

  10. I have both an aluminum backplate and the new Oxycheq travel plate. They weigh about the same. The aluminum plate feels better on your back and is more compatible with a few things like the Halcyon BP pad. The Oxycheq is more durable with may be important to some people. The travel plate may travel a little better.

     

    I've switched from the Halcyon 27 to the Oxycheq 30. There is considerably more lift that the 3 pounds implies and I'm pleased with the new wing. The only thing I miss is the built-in handle. The Halcyon 36 and 45 trap air and don't handle as well as I'd like. The Oxycheq 45 looks good but I haven't made a dive with it yet.

     

    I personally don't like doing without the STA. The rig stays together better when it's bolted together and the tank is more stable with an STA. I also have a tendency to hit my head on the first stage so the extra space is welcome. The cost is 1 pound of travel weight (for the Oxycheq one). You get the pound back in reduced lead while diving.

     

    I also used the Halcyon BP pad and the liferaft/liftbag but gave it up. The bag can be bulky on your back if it doesn't sit right. When the pad is new it holds everything well, but soon enough the elastic starts to weaken and the liftbag becomes a nuisance. It eventually will be falling out of your rig all the time on the boat. The lift bag is designed for an inflator hose connection which won't work if you're using an Air2. I now use a conventional signaling tube stored in an OMS pocket. It's plenty streamlined and provide 5-7 pounds of additional lift at the surface if you need it.

     

    I'm now using an OMS IQ pack with a modified Dive Rite ABS plate inside it. It provides the comfort of a BP with the adjustability of a BC. It weighs more than a basic BP/harness but about the same as my old Al plate with a deluxe harness and a Halcyon pad/liftbag. The Dive Rite ABS plate is barely lighter than an OMS Al plate and considerably thicker. I used it because I could cut holes in it more easily than aluminum. I see no reason otherwise to recommend the ABS plate.

  11. I've got about 50 dives on an Oxycheq 30 now, and am more than happy to recomend it.

     

    I've used it primarily with the M Koplin plate and LW STA, but have also had it on the travel plate/LW STA & and OMS STA-less aluminum plate w/ deluxe harness.

     

    I far prefer the STA, it is way more stable.

     

    The Oxycheq wing has extremely little drag, and I love my position in the water. I too have sold my Halcyon 27 and OMS 35.

     

    I think I'll stick with this one for a while...

  12. Here's a link to the oxycheq page w/ their new 30# wing:

     

    http://www.oxycheq.com/Wings.html

     

    Yes, I am a convert now (thanks Craig!) - or on my way to being one. I have some parts on the floor in the living room and others on the way...

     

    Cheers

    James

  13. OK, I put together my BC:

     

    Dive-rite Al plate

    OMS IQ harness

    Dive-Rite 27# wing

    Lightweight STA from Fred Tagge

     

    The lightweight 2 piece STA is super sweet. I'll attach a photo so y'all can see how it works.

     

    If anyone's interested, Fred makes all kinds of stuff. I can post his pricelist if anyone wants to see it.

     

    Cheers

    James

  14. Here's what they both look like mounted on the BC

  15. James, is that a yellow safety sausage (SMB) you have on your rig?

     

    What is the rationale for that?

     

    When you shoot a bag from depth, they mean the following:

     

    Orange SMB=Deco or safety stop

    Yellow SMB= Emergency

  16. Yep: I dive 120 miles offshore at the Flower Gardens. If my yellow sausage goes up, it means get the dinghy running and come pick me up!

     

    Cheers

    James

  17. Interestingly enough I have a Buddy (UK) self sealing SMB which is orange on one side (face) and yellow on the other - my problem is no one picks me up for hours though :(

  18. For travel, I use the Scubapro Harness with either Travel wings (for warm water and single tanks) or the rec wings (small doubles). I also have a Dive Rite transpac which I use with a back plate for serious tec diving but I prefer the Scubapro for lighter duty stuff due to it's well designed integrated weight system. Other than that the two harnesses are quite similar.

     

    Harness systems are very compact and very robust and best of all can be adjusted to fit perfectly, one drawback to harness systems is there are no pockets (but LOTS of D rings) although accessory pockets can be added.

     

    For local diving I love the Scubapro classic, The aircell allows the air to move freely throughout the jacket without any blockage. this design allows you to easily maneuver into any position ( Belly up, inverted, a combination of both, ect) and stay there with little or no effort. Absolutely the best for super macro (short of a rebreather). The Oceanic Contour was very similar but it was discontinued a couple of years ago.

     

    Chris

  19. Yellow vs. orange may mean something locally but not universally. There's no requirement to carry such a device at all, much less two different colors plus a dive reel so that they can be deployed at depth. The type that James has is too small and flimsy to be used like that IMO. I use one just like it except orange and I don't deploy it for safety stops. The one time I did use it, it couldn't even hold itself up in the air against a light breeze. It did do what it was supposed to, though, and it fits neatly inside my pocket.

     

    Optimize your rig for the diving you do, not the diving some cave diver in Florida does.

  20. Hello Again,

     

    YES I love my Diverite Transpac II, although I prefer a bit more lift than the travel wings offer (especially in warm water with a thin wetsuit) Add a pair of small weight pockets and you're set. The Mares BCD looked a bit bulky on their website. I played with a new Scubapro travel BC at DEMA that is similar to the Knight Hawk but much slimmer and lots of lift, could be worth trying, but it's not on their website yet.

     

    Good Luck,

     

    Doug

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.