After many years and many BCs, I have reverted to having a single Oceanic Chute BCD (whatever version is the latest)
This packs flat and has good drings
Really a great BC
Read-only discussion
After many years and many BCs, I have reverted to having a single Oceanic Chute BCD (whatever version is the latest)
This packs flat and has good drings
Really a great BC
Just a couple general follow-up questions:
Craig/James - How are you guys liking the OMS IQ system? Have you opted to ditch the crotch strap or do you use it? Have you found the harness/backpad comfortable overall?
Scorpio_fish - Have you had a chance to try out the Deep Outdoors Matrix BC? Any opinions?
I recently added an AL backpack to the Transpac II. Very simple to add. Adds a little weight but the stability while diving is nice.
I definitely would recommend one of the modular systems so that you can avoid having to buy a new BC if you want to change your equipment style.
Hi Nitro: I use the crotch strap and like it. It's good for photography, where your head is often lower than your body.
I also use the back pad, although it's not necessary. The only reason I can see to remove it is if you are worried that you won't have enough time for it to dry before travelling. It's like a sponge.
Cheers
James
James, how does the crotch strap help when your head is below your body? My experience is that it doesn't have much effect when you're head down, but is great when floating at the surface or head up in general.
Just curious...
Hi Tom,
It just depends really. If my weight belt is heavy, it's nice to have. The crotch strap just keeps the bc from riding up - whatever orientation you are in.
Cheers
James
I had been wondering as to whether the strap got in the way while swimming. Others folks around the web have said they basically got rid of it within a week of diving with it.
It's funny trying to figure out whether you want to go with a bp/wings set up or a standard bcd because by the time you've outfitted the bp/wings, it looks comparable with some of the current bcds on the market. The main thing really seems to be what Dave mentioned, being able to swap pieces out to fit different diving needs. But, if you're not one of the lucky ones who gets to dive every weekend or travel around the world, you kind of have to wonder if it's worth it and maybe the person wouldn't be better off simply buying an Atmos XT or something....less hassle...less money. Or, dare I say, just renting until they're in a position to dive more.
That being said, I'm still attracted by the simplicity of the bp/wings setup.
Hey Eric -
I just recently switched from Mares H.UB. (4 years ) to the Seaquest Balance.. This new BC knocked off about 10 lbs compared to my old Mares.. As far as lift, well, I weigh 150lbs and was carrying my d70 with 2 strobes and had no problem at the surface. The BC does tend to throw your forward at the surface which took a few dives to get adjusted. We have the octo integratged into the inflator and Vytec hoseless computers with the the new scubapro aluminum alloy first stage.. everything is super lite and good for travel.
Mares uses a special inflator deflator on the left which is really nice to use but is prone to repair. Our service center could not get parts for the inflator so I ended up buying an old HUB on ebay for the parts.. Morphos uses the same..
Good luck!
M.
I use a crotch strap and back pad with mine. I like my tank/BC setup to cling to me like a tight Tee shirt.
I know what you mean. That's what sparked my original interest.
I have used a Scubapro Classic for many years until it fell apart, I use the Oceanic Contour now, which I find very comfortable. Both of these are waistcoat style, allowing the air to move around the jacket which helps greatly when adopting a position underwater for photos. Try one out
and feel the difference.
Dave
I just found a lightweight bp/wings combination that's under 6lbs. The Seac Sub Icaro is sexy looking and light. If you remove the silly D rings it'll be lighter. I wasn't going to buy it at first since I have 3 bp already but this weight reduction helps in my travels. Very decent lift at 27lbs but needs a crotch strap. Expensive but the 2+ lbs saving means alot to someone like me who crosses intercontinentally constantly.
I've used a Zeagle (pre-Ranger!!) to travel with, for years, but the bag is big (especially if doubled up for deep dives with twins). At home I use an OMS IQ pack with a back plate, bought because I could take it abroad without the plate, but I never have...
The crotch straps are truly wonderful with twins, because otherwise the cylinders wobble and slide all over the place, but probably aren't needed with single cylinders.My heavy cylinders slide when my feet float, especially if I have weight in the jacket as well. The beauty of the OMS back plate is that I don't need any lead, even with drysuit. I've also found a suit called the ChillCheater, that works as a non-bouyant 2mm wetsuit, so need no lead in the tropics, either!
B)
Tim
HI All,
I use a Seac Sub Icaro Tech it is light useable I also
have added the integrated weight pockets as I don't like
weight belts. It's one exellent piece of kit.
Andy ![]()
![]()
:ph34r: :ph34r:
I'm not trying to be funny, but isn't the crotch strap a little uncomfortable? I see the benefit and it would be nice to use one, but I rack myself in a two peice farmer john. I would'nt dare wear a beaver tail jacket, so the thought of a crotch strap makes my stomach hurt. Do you rig an elastic break into the strap?
Still love backplace/harness/single tank adapter, and would hate to dive a BCD again.
I opted for a basic harness outfitted with plenty of D-rings. Have a 2lb, aluminum OMS backplate, dual scubapro cam bands, OMS shoulder pads, a lightweight Oxycheq single-tank adapter and both 30# and 45# bladders.
I've never felt the rig move, regardless of what position I'm in underwater. Wear 2 lbs with 3mm and 4-6 lbs with a 7mm semi-dry. With a Seacam housing, that puts me negative enough to stay put on the bottom, if I need to. ![]()
Crotch strap isn't uncomfortable as long as I am wearing a 3mm-or-thicker wetsuit. ![]()
For travelling I use a really ancient Buddy Seaking which I bought used in the late eighties I think. It used to have pockets on it but they were useless so I cut them off (makes it lighter) and it started to fray and the mesh under the internal bladder wore through a couple of years ago so Buddy serviced it and fitted a load of new parts for £45. Its pretty faded, fits ok and if it gets lost, trashed, or stolen its no big deal. It still works fine and has enormous lift if needed. Like the rest of my gear its comfy and it works - I have very little interest in dive gear beyond it doing its job comfortably and reliably. The one thing I will say about Buddy products is that they are pretty indestuctible!
I have recently gone back to a BC (Seaquest Passport) after using a wing (Buddy Travelwing) for about a year.
One point I'd make against wings is that they are much colder to wear than a BC - as they offer less protection from the elements around your sides! These things are important to pathetic souls like Mike V and I, who are always freezing underwater!
Alex
p.s. While Paul is right that AP Valves/Buddy products are pretty indestructible - they do fade almost immediately you take them out of the shop and look tatty very quickly. Which I really don't like. I do accpet that other divers like this feature.
Gotta admit that i probably dive more than most people on the board. I use a Scubapro BCD, its called the Glide Plus.
I have no desire or need to use a BPW, in fact i am not sure i could ever get back up if i used a stainless steel one, i hate weights!! i have pockets with my BC and can fit my reef hook, sausage and line and whatever else in there (i put my mask in the pocket for storage overnight)
It is very stable and fits easy into a scuba bag.
And yes Alex, i am a wuss!
but not sure about pathetic... ![]()
And a crotch strap?!?!? shudder....
Alex
Nobody like to pinch a faded, battered, pocketless Buddy - a useful point sometimes! And the Seaking is a real waistcoat - no shoulder clips, which does put many off too!
I was toasty at 23 degrees C in El Hierro in December in a thin Typoon drysuit and Weasel undersuit - never got cold once!
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.