Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Update on Housings for Canon 10D

Started by CDesperado ·

  • 28Posts
  • 28Replies

Read-only discussion

Update on Housings for Canon 10D

28 posts
  1. Here is the latest on housings for the Canon 10D.

     

    Subal - Late July/Early August (limited numbers shipping to US)

    Jonah Housings - September/October

    Ikelite - roughly October/November (probably)

    Sea&Sea - Still verifying, could be November or December

     

    As for whether my Subal housing will be here in time for my trip, still don't know.

    I will keep you posted!

    :unsure:

  2. Great! they should hit the market just about the time Canon changes the model again. ;):unsure:

     

    Just out of curiosity, I use a 1d but have been reading a lot about a focus prob with the 10d, anyone experience that problem or is it chat-babble?

     

    I am considering getting a 1d or d60 and going the housing route again.....as much as I love velvia, I hate scanning.

  3. Hmmm... that is the first I have heard of anyone saying there was a focus problem with the Canon 10D. I have been researching this for awhile too, even reading the Nikon d100 user reviews where people compared the two and many Nikon users profess the greatness that is the 10D. I know for sure the 10D resolves a known and well-documented focusing issue with the Canon D60.

     

    You mentioned you use the 1D, but were considering getting a 1D as well? Assuming one of those was a typo, are you looking to buy a 1D or a 10D?

     

    I know what you mean about the upside of shooting slide (as well as print film) in terms of color, contrast, etc.... but there are simply too many advantages to shooting digital.

     

    I don't think Canon will be replacing the 10D for awhile... I could see a replacement coming in Spring 2005 maybe, but I dont see them replacing it in 2004, purely from an engineering perspective and the time and effort involved in analysis and development.

     

    The 10D has many clear advantages over the D60... I used to have an article that discussed them, but I will have to dig around my files at home to find the link. I will post it when I do, but I think you will be much happier with the 10D, particularly it's significantly improved focusing abilities.

  4. Just out of curiousity, do you have the site that was discussing focus problems with the 10D? I am sure a lot of people would like to to counter that argument.

     

    Was it an article or a message board?

  5. Do a search at dpreview in the Canon SLR forum. For a while it was all that was talked about. Canon insists it is a non-issue, but a lot of people seem to have troubles. (Not that means anything, as all you ever hear from on a orum is the complainers)

     

    I own a Canon 1d now, finest camera I have ever held. I have completely switched to digital for topside photography.

     

    Unfortunately their is no viable housing option for me with this camera. I MAY be able tojustifiy 2k for a once a year hobby, but I cant spend the 10-15K it would cost me for a Seacam housing for my 1d and have any hope for staying married. (or breathing for that matter) :unsure:

     

    So my thought was to try a 10d or d60 as a second body and use it underwater.

  6. In the limited time I've had my 10D, I can say I've experienced no focusing problems . . .

     

    Mike

  7. I'm crossing the 5000 shot mark on my 10D and have no focus issues with the camera. There are some issues with individual cameras (hey, it's a mass production item, 30,000 units a month) but that's what the return policy/warranty is for.

     

    I'd love to take the 10D underwater, it's the $$ ...or lack thereoff that's holding me back.

     

    Anyone want to buy an EOS A2e and Subal housing? :unsure:

     

    stu

  8. LOL I just bought my A2 from Mike......what a great rig.....I would highly reccomend it if you want to have a film set up.

     

     

    ....i expect my 5% commission when you sell it now! :unsure:

  9. In the limited time I've had my 10D, I can say I've experienced no focusing problems . . .

     

    Mike

    me or lars, haven't had any problems with the focus of the 10D too.

    The AF is f... fast and precise. And we had several fast moving objects

    like busses or train were we tested this to find out about the continous

    microdrive speed.

     

    We are satisfied and cannot wait to catch some fish with it! :unsure:

  10. Unfortunately their is no viable housing option for me with this camera.  I MAY be able tojustifiy 2k for a once a year hobby,  but I cant spend the 10-15K it would cost me for a Seacam housing for my 1d and have any hope for staying married.  (or breathing for that matter) ;)

    Why sink money with Seacam? Although I have not heard anything from them concerning the price.

    Uwe just told us a few days ago that he is going to have the housing ready during late September

    and will ship it for around 3.950 EUR. :unsure: So maybe affordable for you and Eric...

     

    Oh I forgot to post the link http://www.digideep.com/product.php?pType=...&mID=38&pID=572

  11. I MAY be able tojustifiy 2k for a once a year hobby, but I cant spend the 10-15K it would cost me for a Seacam housing for my 1d and have any hope for staying married. (or breathing for that matter) :unsure:

     

    So my thought was to try a 10d or d60 as a second body and use it underwater.

    And here I am looking at the 10D/D60 and feeling the same way....especially after seeing entire Nikonos V systems including lens, strobe, tray, etc. on ebay for like $700-800. As a newbie photographer I may end up going the film route just because it's more in my price range. Btw, I was at B&H the other day and tried the 10D....man, that just feels so good in the hands. Seems easier to work with than the G3 (which I was orig. looking into) which you'd think would be the other way around.

  12. Andi, does UWE = UK Products?

     

    If so, and if you have access to him, would you ask him why he doesnt establish a US dealership that can handle service and maint. without haveing to ship it overseas?

     

    i am sure there is a reason, but I would think he wuold sell more housings if he could overcome that issue.

  13. Uwe Kiel.

     

    OK Bob, I nominate you to be the UK-Germany US Dealer...:-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  14. Btw, I was at B&H the other day and tried the 10D....man, that just feels so good in the hands

     

    Did you try it with the extended grip? Now that really is sweet. Two Li-ion batteries and it balances the 100-400 really well :unsure:

     

    Mike

  15. Andi,  does UWE = UK Products?

     

    If so,  and if you have access to him,  would you ask him why he doesnt establish a US dealership that can handle service and maint. without haveing to ship it overseas?

     

    i am sure there is a reason,  but I would think he wuold sell  more housings if he could overcome that issue.

    Yes Bob,

     

    Uwe is UK-Germany B) I know him quite well, because our first housing for the Coolpix 990 was made by him. His products have a very good quality, but I know that some people at wetpixel.com where dissapointed with the bad service. The reason is that Uwe's English not the best and he needs more time to reply to international inquiries. This is also the reason I am trying to help him sometimes. Actually we were talking about that on the phone today. I recommended him to find a reliable dealer in the US, since he is a nice guy with good spirit and good products. But he told me that he's more an engineer than a salesman.

     

    So if anyone wants to get into business with him and knows some German or has a German wife ;) * go for it! Acutally, I already recommended James Wiseman - because James is always doing these nice in detail reports and shares Uwe's spirit! Also he already uses one of Uwe's products. But I think as wetpixel Editors, James and Eric have to maintain some neutrality. The same reason we did not go for an onlineshop with digideep.com.

     

    So I will just collect your applications now :unsure: GO AHEAD guyz...

     

    Andi

  16. Did you try it with the extended grip? Now that really is sweet. Two Li-ion batteries and it balances the 100-400 really well 

     

     

    come to Nashville and slap that bad boy lens on my 1d...... :-D. I AGREE, FROM MY DAYS WITH A D30, THE GRIP AND EXTRA BATTERY MAKE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE IN HANDLING.

     

    (sorry for the caps, I didnt know I hit the caps lock and I am too lazy to retype it.)

  17. Anyone want to buy an EOS A2e and Subal housing? ;)

    Hey Stu,

     

    and other SUBAL owners... You should keep your ports if they fit on Canon EF-mount

    lenses. I have heard that there will be adapters from JONAH and others... So you

    don't need to double invest into new gear. :unsure: I'll wait what happens. So far I only

    own two UK-Germany ports.

  18. Hey Andi,

     

    I'm only selling the housing and body! B)

     

    Actually, I'm likely keeping the housing if I want to be able to use my 16-35L at the full 16mm coverage....mantas, whalesharks that kind of stuff.

     

    I heard that the Seacam film ports do not fit the new Seacam digital housings...

     

    If the Jonah will take Subal ports then I may take a hard look at that....

     

    Stu

  19. Andi, does UWE = UK Products?

     

    If so, and if you have access to him, would you ask him why he doesnt establish a US dealership that can handle service and maint. without haveing to ship it overseas?

     

    i am sure there is a reason, but I would think he wuold sell more housings if he could overcome that issue.

    I have a UK-G housing for a D-60 and I think it's an outstanding housing. If I was buying a new housing today, though, I would probably not buy another UK-G for the reasons mentioned here, namely the lack of a local distributor in the US. I've mailed Uwe and he's very responsive, but just it's too difficult to purchase his products. If his web site were setup for online ordering it would be a huge improvement.

  20. Now there's an idea. I build a basic store for his site with international billing and he can pay me with a D60 housing...sounds fair to me! :unsure:

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.