Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Wanted: Manta Pictures!

Started by berrybeersen ·

  • 37Posts
  • 37Replies

Read-only discussion

Wanted: Manta Pictures!

37 posts
  1. Dear Underwater Photographers,

     

    I am currently writing the first book about manta rays, especially for divers and underwater enthusiasts. Are you as fascinated as I am by these elegant, harmless marine creatures? Have you taken any outstanding, impressive or special pictures of manta rays?

    Then I would love to publish your pictures in my book!

     

    Your interest should lie in having your favorite shot and your name printed in a professional environment – as I cannot offer you any money as remuneration.

    Does this sound interesting to you? Then contact me: mantaberry@gmail.com

     

    I am looking for the following contents in the pictures:

    • Black and chevron mantas of both species (birostris variant A and birostris variant B).
    • Close up pictures (of the various body parts) are especially welcome.

    I would be happy to receive a preview of your photos in screen-size and "email quality". However, please only send pictures which you can also provide in print quality (300dpi with a minimum size of 5cmx5cm).

     

    Thanks a million in advance to all enthusiastic underwater photographers for your support!

     

    Berry Beersen

  2. :)

     

    Paul C

  3. Your interest should lie in having your favorite shot and your name printed in a professional environment – as I cannot offer you any money as remuneration.

    Does this sound interesting to you?

     

    NO!

  4. Guys - do I sence a drop of grudge in the air?! :)

    Maybe You have heared this question one too many times, but IMO Berry has asked an honest question and if no reply's will be sent to him, then that speaks to it's self..?!

    This is going offtopic allready, so I'll stop here and wish that Berry can get the book published and donates x % of the publishing profit to wetpixel (if someone send's pics. through this forum) :D

     

    Cheers

    Scubamoose

    Edited by Scubamoose
  5. :)

     

    Paul C

     

     

    LOL

  6. This is another example of a person who just wants to take advantage of others. He wants to write a book, maybe even has a publisher lined up. But he wants or needs the pictures of others to make it possible.

     

    Is he expecting to be paid for his work making the book possible. In all likelihood, YES. Is he willing to share some of this money with the people whose pictures will make the book better, or maybe even make it possible? No

     

    The guy is a PARASITE!!!!

     

    Just say NO!

     

    Fred

  7. This is another example of a person who just wants to take advantage of others. He wants to write a book, maybe even has a publisher lined up. But he wants or needs the pictures of others to make it possible.

     

    Is he expecting to be paid for his work making the book possible. In all likelihood, YES. Is he willing to share some of this money with the people whose pictures will make the book better, or maybe even make it possible? No

     

    The guy is a PARASITE!!!!

     

    Just say NO!

     

    Fred

    I suspect that there are many avid amateur UW photographers who might answer differently. If Ned DeLoach asked me for a picture to put in one of his books with only a photocredit, I would probably say yes. If you look at his books, the list of contributors is enormous with names like Howard Hall and Chris Newbert popping up occasionally. I wonder if the DeLoachs paid for the pics although I suspect a free copy of the book was enough. So I think the parasitic nature of the question depends a lot on who is being the parasite. Many of us are not in the game of selling pictures but rather do it for fun and negative profit since we often give/donate pics to a variety of charities. If I had some good manta pics, I might send them to the guy if he promised me a copy of the book and some photo credit. A couple of dollars or even a couple of hundred dollars won't change my lifestyle much (better beer maybe for a couple of weeks) but books might live forever.

     

    Bill

  8. If I had some good manta pics, I might send them to the guy if he promised me a copy of the book and some photo credit. A couple of dollars or even a couple of hundred dollars won't change my lifestyle much (better beer maybe for a couple of weeks) but books might live forever.

    Bill

     

    Bill, I kind of like this, book as a salary, idea! :)

    But this discussion might allready belong to another thread http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28681&hl=

  9. Bill, I kind of like this, book as a salary, idea! :)

    But this discussion might allready belong to another thread http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28681&hl=

    I think that I am with Eric on that one. This is a much different issue. If someone asked me (very unlikely) to shoot some stuff for him I would politely say, you can't afford me; I have a day job that pays me enough to be able to go diving and buy some really cool cameras, housings and ringflashes. So I would definitely say no. But as Eric points out, he uses lots of pics in the quarterly that he doesn't pay for; people donate pics for the "glory". If donating pics to Wetpixel or to Ned DeLoach is fine because we find them "acceptable" and donating pics to a kid (my assumption) wanting to write a book is not OK because we don't know him then I think we are being the worst kinds of snobs. Sort of like Mark Twain's million dollar question.

    Bill

  10. .... I have a day job that pays me enough ...

     

    Good afternoon all,

     

    Bill and others... I guess as your industries change and your boss decides that your job can be done well by a bunch of very talented people offering to do it for free, just for the glory, you'll be happy to move aside for them? You could always get a job doing something else, right?

     

    Of course mine is just an illustration of the point (and it might be a a couple of years 'til we have simple-to-use hand-held devices to let us perform our own brain surgery, pull teeth or safely split the atom) but you must be able to see where the pros are coming from, as their income is eaten away by easy-to-use cameras, Photoshop, a wealth of information (a lot provided by pros, from experience) and easy image delivery. We all make judgments about the value of our work, whatever work that may be... most wouldn't go to their job without getting paid. Pros are mad just 'cause their livelihoods are under threat. Wouldn't you be?

     

    It's always been a difficult business, but stock will continue to be so, and it will just get harder and harder. As Bill alludes to, the one thing that pros might be able to rely on in the future is fee-for-service, as most clients wanting something specific need a guaranteed result, to an exacting brief, on a deadline, no excuses... something a pro is good at.

     

    Photography is not the first industry to be swamped by technology, and it won't be the last.

     

    It's just the transition is hard on the pros, and fun for everyone else.

     

    ...now... where's that book on brain surgery? :)

     

    darren

  11. LOL

     

     

    :):D

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  12. I was once told by an eminent New York advertising photographer that if something is free, it 'aint worth nothin!

     

    I know it costs me a lot in time and money to get pictures but I am well aware that it is only the words I get paid for. As I constantly remind everyone, the world is awash with good underwater pictures. If you want to make money out of photography, take pictures of toilet rolls (with puppies)!

    Edited by John Bantin
  13. Good afternoon all,

     

    Bill and others... I guess as your industries change and your boss decides that your job can be done well by a bunch of very talented people offering to do it for free, just for the glory, you'll be happy to move aside for them? You could always get a job doing something else, right?

     

    Of course mine is just an illustration of the point (and it might be a a couple of years 'til we have simple-to-use hand-held devices to let us perform our own brain surgery, pull teeth or safely split the atom) but you must be able to see where the pros are coming from, as their income is eaten away by easy-to-use cameras, Photoshop, a wealth of information (a lot provided by pros, from experience) and easy image delivery. We all make judgments about the value of our work, whatever work that may be... most wouldn't go to their job without getting paid. Pros are mad just 'cause their livelihoods are under threat. Wouldn't you be?

     

    It's always been a difficult business, but stock will continue to be so, and it will just get harder and harder. As Bill alludes to, the one thing that pros might be able to rely on in the future is fee-for-service, as most clients wanting something specific need a guaranteed result, to an exacting brief, on a deadline, no excuses... something a pro is good at.

     

    Photography is not the first industry to be swamped by technology, and it won't be the last.

     

    It's just the transition is hard on the pros, and fun for everyone else.

     

    ...now... where's that book on brain surgery? :D

     

    darren

    I think (as John Bantin alluded to) there are lots of skilled but still amateur photographers who create lots of very nice content. My point isn't that professional underwater photographers might get upset with someone asking for free pictures; in fact mostly they will just ignore the guy. My point is that as an amateur why shouldn't I give him a picture if I want to. My taking work away from a professional seems on the surface highly unlikely, but I have no real clue how the stock UW photo business is as a business but it appears from a cursory glance at places like shutterstock that pictures sell for a couple of hundred dollars which for most small book companies if they needed several hundred pictures is not likely to be easy to spend.

    As for competition from guys wanting to do what we do for free, that isn't likely but the whole medical device world is moving some stuff overseas to places where there are lots of smart people doing research at very very low wages. To stay in the game means that you have to be BETTER than the guys you are competing with. Given that most (I suspect) of the people reading this are amateurs and many of them spectacularly talented and many of those guys highly paid professionals in some other world, why giving a picture to the guy writing the book is wrong. If the pictures are all crap and the editors don't like them, they will come up with the money to buy some pics.

     

    Bill

  14. I think (as John Bantin alluded to) there are lots of skilled but still amateur photographers who create lots of very nice content. My point isn't that professional underwater photographers might get upset with someone asking for free pictures; in fact mostly they will just ignore the guy. My point is that as an amateur why shouldn't I give him a picture if I want to. My taking work away from a professional seems on the surface highly unlikely, but I have no real clue how the stock UW photo business is as a business but it appears from a cursory glance at places like shutterstock that pictures sell for a couple of hundred dollars which for most small book companies if they needed several hundred pictures is not likely to be easy to spend.

    As for competition from guys wanting to do what we do for free, that isn't likely but the whole medical device world is moving some stuff overseas to places where there are lots of smart people doing research at very very low wages. To stay in the game means that you have to be BETTER than the guys you are competing with. Given that most (I suspect) of the people reading this are amateurs and many of them spectacularly talented and many of those guys highly paid professionals in some other world, why giving a picture to the guy writing the book is wrong. If the pictures are all crap and the editors don't like them, they will come up with the money to buy some pics.

     

    Bill

     

     

    I don't think I once suggested any high ground on whether it was right or wrong to give pictures away, or comment on the quality of anyone's images.

     

    I simply tried to get all the exceptionally talented amateurs on here to see the situation from the pros point of view. Obviously I didn't get my point across. :D

     

    I must add that I meant no disrespect in using the medical industry as the example...

     

    darren

    Edited by photovan — spelling...
  15. Every dog has his day and I turned over a couple of million pounds in fees in my purple patch 1979 to 1990. However, that business no longer exists. Just like deep coal mining has gone or dare I say that real estate salesmen and hedge fund managers are likely to need to reinvent themselves.

     

    We photographers used to say "If it was easy, everyone would do it." Well now it is, and they are! ..and that's why pictures are now worh less than words - and words are cheap!

    Edited by John Bantin
  16. I don't think I once suggested any high ground on whether it was right or wrong to give pictures away, or comment on the quality of anyone's images.

     

    I simply tried to get all the exceptionally talented amateurs on here to see the situation from the pros point of view. Obviously I didn't get my point across. :D

     

    I must add that I meant no disrespect in using the medical industry as the example...

     

    darren

    No offense taken at all. I think it is a legitimate point and I certainly understand how professional photographers feel about "talented amateurs" giving away stuff. The local wedding photography business in Southern California has seen the same thing. Wedding guys used to be all about the same price, now there is really cheap and really expensive and the expensive guys are all about unique shots, and service. If I were trying to be in the photo business it certainly would be in the service area, with specialized jobs for specialized clients. Of course that would mean I would have to have talent and so would probably starve. In any case an interesting and thought provoking discussion.

    Cheers

    Bill

  17. Dear Underwater Photographers,

     

    I am currently writing the first book about manta rays, especially for divers and underwater enthusiasts. Are you as fascinated as I am by these elegant, harmless marine creatures? Have you taken any outstanding, impressive or special pictures of manta rays?

     

    Then I would love to publish your pictures in my book!

     

    Your interest should lie in having your favorite shot and your name printed in a professional environment – as I cannot offer you any money as remuneration. Does this sound interesting to you? Then contact me: mantaberry@gmail.com

     

    I am looking for the following contents in the pictures:

    • Black and chevron mantas of both species (birostris variant A and birostris variant B).
    • Close up pictures (of the various body parts) are especially welcome.

    I would be happy to receive a preview of your photos in screen-size and "email quality". However, please only send pictures which you can also provide in print quality (i.e. a photo with a minimum size of 600 x 600 pixels at a resolution of 300ppi).

     

    Thanks a million in advance to all enthusiastic underwater photographers for your support!

     

    Berry Beersen

  18. :drink:

     

    Paul C

  19. :drink:

     

    Paul C

     

     

    Bombing again ehh?! :D

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.