Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Marine Biology Programs

Started by loftus ·

  • 30Posts
  • 30Replies

Read-only discussion

Marine Biology Programs

30 posts
  1. Good News! Kyra has been accepted into the University of Miami Marine Biology program, as well as their Prism Science Honors program, and most important, a scholarship to boot. I'm not sure who is more excited, her or me. She was accepted at pretty much all the schools she applied, but after much handwringing ( for me a no-brainer) she has chosen UM.

  2. Congrats, Kyra (and Jeff)!! That is fantastic news. :goodpost:

  3. Congratulations!

     

    My twentysomething daughter graduated from University of Miami not too long ago. It is truly a beautiful campus.

     

    I hope your daughter has a larger $$$ scholarship than my daughter had. Even with a one-half scholarship to attend the University of Miami, her father and I still had to come up with over $17 thousand. The tuition was about $35 thousand when my daughter went there. Needless to say, I didn't do any major dive trips during the years she attended college.

     

    At least you won't faint from heat due to thirst at the graduation. They passed out bottled water to all the attendees at the graduation ceremony :goodpost:

     

    Ellen

  4. Congratulations!

     

    My twentysomething daughter graduated from University of Miami not too long ago. It is truly a beautiful campus.

     

    I hope your daughter has a larger $$$ scholarship than my daughter had. Even with a one-half scholarship to attend the University of Miami, her father and I still had to come up with over $17 thousand. The tuition was about $35 thousand when my daughter went there. Needless to say, I didn't do any major dive trips during the years she attended college.

     

    At least you won't faint from heat due to thirst at the graduation. They passed out bottled water to all the attendees at the graduation ceremony :goodpost:

     

    Ellen

    ;)

    Thanks guys. Yeah I know Miami well, it's my alma mater - graduated med school there and some residency time there. Unfortunately never had much time to party on the main campus.

    Fortunately her scholarships from all sources total about 90%, and we've saved some and paid into the Florida prepaid college program, so we should be reasonably taken care of.

  5. Good News! Kyra has been accepted into the University of Miami Marine Biology program, as well as their Prism Science Honors program, and most important, a scholarship to boot. I'm not sure who is more excited, her or me. She was accepted at pretty much all the schools she applied, but after much handwringing ( for me a no-brainer) she has chosen UM.

     

     

     

    Cool , congratulations !!!

     

    Now i have a good reason for a Presidente tonight

     

    Extend my congratulations to Kyra .

     

    JA

  6. Good News! Kyra has been accepted into the University of Miami Marine Biology program, as well as their Prism Science Honors program, and most important, a scholarship to boot. I'm not sure who is more excited, her or me. She was accepted at pretty much all the schools she applied, but after much handwringing ( for me a no-brainer) she has chosen UM.

     

    Congrats Jeff, that is great news.

  7. Good News! Kyra has been accepted into the University of Miami Marine Biology program, as well as their Prism Science Honors program, and most important, a scholarship to boot. I'm not sure who is more excited, her or me. She was accepted at pretty much all the schools she applied, but after much handwringing ( for me a no-brainer) she has chosen UM.

     

    Fantastic...

     

    ... follow the dream!

     

    Good luck, to you as well as Kyra. I remember agonising over where to study (silly, really: I had to be persuaded to go to Oxford{!} and study zoology)...

     

    ... later, I left marine biology for medicine (sensible, but often regretted), and now I have to take photographs...

     

    ... so my kids will just have to put up with dad continuing to dive during their university years, tho', thank heavens, our fees are not (yet) at US levels!

     

    Tim

     

    :goodpost:

  8. Congratulations and good luck! If she plans on getting into grad school (which is pretty much the only option unless you want to work for places like SeaWorld), ask her to contact me, I am a marine biology professor at University of Texas, Austin.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Luiz

  9. Congratulations and good luck! If she plans on getting into grad school (which is pretty much the only option unless you want to work for places like SeaWorld), ask her to contact me, I am a marine biology professor at University of Texas, Austin.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Luiz

    Thanks guys; thanks Luiz. Austin's a great place to be.

  10. Good News! Kyra has been accepted into the University of Miami Marine Biology program, as well as their Prism Science Honors program, and most important, a scholarship to boot. I'm not sure who is more excited, her or me. She was accepted at pretty much all the schools she applied, but after much handwringing ( for me a no-brainer) she has chosen UM.

     

     

    I did some grad work in Ft. Lauderdale and have many contacts at UM. Does you daughter know what she is mainly interested in studying (sharks or coral or...)? If she has an idea I may be able to supply her with some names of staff she should track down to get involved with. If she really wants to set herself apart she should try to volunteer in a prof's lab right away and get a big head start on everyone (and a potential way to cover that last 10% of tuition)...

     

    cheers!

     

    - MDP

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.