Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Pregnancy Still Can Dive???

Started by ckchong ·

  • 53Posts
  • 53Replies

Read-only discussion

Pregnancy Still Can Dive???

53 posts
  1. If any termination is a no no then do nothing extra, if you would consider this then consider the best level of foetal ultrasound scanning at appropriate stage in pregnancy. This will probably at the least provide you with some reassurance.

     

    I enjoyed diving in the same ocean as Tim in February, but as the problems are most likely (a) DCS and (b) neuro-developmental, I believe that this advice is falsely reassuring.

     

    Tim's advice does, however parallel that given to doctors in the UK: this is the advice of the United Kingdom Sport Diving Medical Committee:

     

    http://www.uksdmc.co.uk/standards/Standards-%20pregnancy.htm

     

    Recreational diving is a pastime: is a break from diving really such a high price to pay when the risks in pregnancy are unknown: probably not great, but also not known?

     

    Tim

     

    :)

    Edited by tdpriest
  2. ... I thought there was no method of absorbing nitrogen...

     

    The embryo absorbs dissolved gases (oxygen and nitrogen) from the womb, and the supporting tissues absorb carbon dioxide from the embryo. As the embryo grows it becomes coupled to the maternal circulation through the placenta because diffusion through the tissues is only effective when the embryo is very small. The situation is rather like the difference between a marine flatworm that can exchange gases through its thin tissues directly with the seawater, and a fish that needs gills and a circulatory system to cope with its increased demands and greater bulk.

     

    As there is gas exchange going on all the time, there is a risk from the moment of conception of decompression effects.

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  3. Except what I actually said that I thought there was no method of absorbing nitrogen 'until the maternal blood supply via the placenta was in place'. The transfer you're talking about requires the placenta to be in place.

     

    ALL tissues in the body will equilibrate with increased N2 Partial pressure, by the twin processes of perfusion (placental circulation in this case) or diffusion through fluids, this includes the preimplanted foetus passing down the falopian tube or womb on the way to implantation. While equilibration to the increased PPN2 MAY be slower without the intimate perfusion of the placenta it will occur and given the well perfused nature of the surrounding tissues it probably wont be that much slower, if it is then off gassing will also be slower.

     

     

    Tim Digger

  4. I enjoyed diving in the same ocean as Tim in February, but as the problems are most likely (a) DCS and (b) neuro-developmental, I believe that this advice is falsely reassuring.

     

    Tim's advice does, however parallel that given to doctors in the UK: this is the advice of the United Kingdom Sport Diving Medical Committee:

     

    http://www.uksdmc.co.uk/standards/Standards-%20pregnancy.htm

     

    Recreational diving is a pastime: is a break from diving really such a high price to pay when the risks in pregnancy are unknown: probably not great, but also not known?

     

    Any post on this topic from me assumes that the hyperbaric exposure has already taken place and the poster is seeking advice in this situation as I believe is the case here. I would agree whole heartedly that the only general advice that can be given is, if attempting to concieve or pregnant do not dive.

    However given the number of women diving and the tendency to reproduce that our species has I believe that if there were a strong corellation > say1:10 of foetal abnormalities occurring due to recreational diving then the connection would have become clinically apparent. Still this level of risk is not known and even considerably less risk than than this would be very undesirable. My advice in this situation is pragmatic and depends on the views of the couple, the only likely test I can think of that MIGHT detect foetal abnormality is by high res Ultra sound and while I agree completely that it will not detect all neuro developemental abnormalities it is about all we have to offer at present. It is of course pointless if termination is completely out of the question.

     

    It was good diving with you Tim

    Tim Digger

  5. I think this is a great discussion, but I think one has to emphasize that this is only a discussion and should not be taken as medical advice by anyone.

    This is obviously a subject that is fraught with medical liability for any physician providing advice on a forum like this.

    This is why I think one has to emphasize again, that anyone who who is planning to dive while pregnant, or who thinks they may have been inadvertently exposed to a hyperbaric (diving) environment while pregnant, MUST consult with their OB/Gyn on this, and MUST not take anything recommended on a forum such as this as definitive medical advice. Just my cautious advice as a physician.

  6. Hehehe Jeff you've been in the US too long... unfortunately very necessary. Thanks for reiterating that WP forums does not dispense medical advice but is a place for discussion.

  7. Hehehe Jeff you've been in the US too long... unfortunately very necessary. Thanks for reiterating that WP forums does not dispense medical advice but is a place for discussion.

    You've got that right, way to long!

    And then there's my other pet peeve, being instructed on how to treat someone according to something they read on an internet forum. :)

  8. Oh yes... I read on somewhere online that symmetry for boobs are so much easier online and CS1-4 than in real life LOL

  9. As there is gas exchange going on all the time, there is a risk from the moment of conception of decompression effects.

     

    Tim

     

    :)

     

    And now I'm wiser.

     

    Thanks Tim.

  10. Thanks for all 's diver or Doc and pro.......

     

     

    Even 1 or 2 month also can't dive????............ Let say a woman done her dive trip and after a week only know she or her got pregnancy.....how???? what should we do????????

     

     

    Firstly Don't Panic. Of course the advice is not to dive while pregnant or attempting to become pregnant and rightly so, but accidents DO happen. My wife Zoe was diving while our daughter Gracie was in the early stages of pregnancy and she is now a very healthy 7 month old baby. I too was in a complete panic when I found out that Zoe was pregnant and had put two and two together and realised that she had been diving, but gladly this panic proved unfounded. Our doctors provided early scans and Gracie's development was monitored very closely.

     

    There is very little medical research on pregnancy in increased pressure environments and what little there is is not good news. There is absolutely no medical research on human pregnancies while diving that I could find so it is impossible to know for sure the safety paramaters. I do know of one other pregnancy apart from ours where the lady had been diving until the 12th or 13th week (again with no knowledge of being pregnant) and the baby had no ill effects. If you are planning on starting a family and can plan in advance not to dive then why take the risk? If it has already happened then like I said don't panic but seek medical advice as soon as possible. Our thoughts are with you.

     

    Best Regards, Simon.

  11. Sorry, gotta call BS on this one. I've known many a truly excellent, intelligent Dr. who I considered friends outside of a professional capacity (both medical and non-medical PhDs). But I've met just as many who outside of their chosen realm of expertise at work were complete trainwrecks. "Boys with toys" just like the rest of us, but with a bit more money to throw around.

     

    The diving Docs that I have shared the sea with I have found to be both thoughtful and intellectually stimulating. I agree that there are "trainwrecks" in the profession, but thankfully I have not found them doing underwater photography. Also with the mean income of physicians declining yearly, Joe the plumber has more money to throw around than an MD.

  12. An interesting topic. I was in bonaire about 2 months ago with my wife on a diving trip. About two weeks after we got home, my wife found out she was pregnant. We just went for our umpteenth checkup with the doctor today and he confirmed that she's had a miscarriage. My first concern was that she may have been pregnant while we were on vacation. He's fairly certain that the pregnancy happened after the trip due to the size of the embryonic sack and that her diving had nothing to do with it. He then asked how deep we had gone. well he was more concerend with the pressure than the depth. I told him we didn't go deeper than about 105-110 feet, and he said that we would probably have had to have gone deeper for it to be an issue, but that if it were his wife he would not allow her to dive while pregnant.

     

    So, to quit rambling, I would have to be in the don't dive if you're pregnant category. There's just not enough information out there regarding what effects it may have on your unborn child. In my mind, the risk is too great.

  13. Very sorry to hear about the miscarriage. That is good advice.

  14. So, my wife is pregnant, but can I still go diving? She is due July 29th...., can i go for the long July 4th weekend, out of the country? Anyone know what the 'mother-in-law' risk is on that?

     

    Mike

  15. Really sorry to hear that news scuba spark. Loosing a baby at any stage of a pregnancy can be a devastating experience. :) I hope you are holding up ok.

     

    All the best, Simon

  16. Anyone know what the 'mother-in-law' risk is on that?

     

    HUGE! body armour etc.

  17. My experience is that once the wife becomes pregnant and delivers you diving activities will decrease.

    You will get additional grief for going on diving trips without the "family".

    The wife will also panic over the amount of underwater photo equipment you feel necessary to take on a dive trip and will try to limit it.

  18. My experience is that once the wife becomes pregnant and delivers you diving activities will decrease.

    You will get additional grief for going on diving trips without the "family".

    The wife will also panic over the amount of underwater photo equipment you feel necessary to take on a dive trip and will try to limit it.

    And if you just wait about 10-15 more years, she can't wait to get you out of the house! :)

  19. My experience is that once the wife becomes pregnant and delivers you diving activities will decrease.

    You will get additional grief for going on diving trips without the "family".

    The wife will also panic over the amount of underwater photo equipment you feel necessary to take on a dive trip and will try to limit it.

     

    Ah, but the savvy diver will be able to convince his wife that the extra photo equipment is needed so you can share the experience with her. Because you don't want her to feel left out by not diving :)

     

    Thanks for the condolences. It was our first attempt at having a child and the doctor said that the fact that she got pregnant so quickly is a good sign. He also said that many people have miscarriages on their first attempt. It's disappointing, but the practice is fun, and practice makes perfect. So hopefully things will go more smoothly next time.

  20. I just noticed one thing about divers and spouses... it seems many men seem to need to justify the equipment to their wives whereas the wives just buy their stuff. Hmmmm :)

    Edited by Drew
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.