Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Sad News in Egypt

Started by jonny shaw ·

  • 85Posts
  • 85Replies

Read-only discussion

Sad News in Egypt

85 posts
  1. Afriend of mine who has a couple of dive operations in Egypt has seen the photographs of the deceased, and heres what he had to say.

     

    "All that is left of her right leg above the shin/knee is the bone and maybe an inch of flesh to the back of the leg, perfect imprint of the sharks jaw. She obviously tried to kick it off at the same time as her left foot is missing completely."

     

    No wonder she died straight away.

     

    Stew

     

     

    Im afraid Stew that two friends of mine who were diving in Marsa Shagra(?) last week, were asked by local dive guides there did they want to see pictures of this poor woman ...I think it was either a) being attacked by the shark or b) the actual pictures you described....Im not 100% sure.

     

    However, I am assuming its the same ones you may have seen....and what we are talking about on this thread.

     

    Naturally they were sickened and horrified by the voyeuristic insensitivities of these individuals- and refused.

    They also asked that they should delete these photos from their possession.

     

    In short, I think these pictures are in circulation

     

    I sincerely hope that this poor girl's family do not hear of this....or anyone that knew her.

     

    This is grossly disrespectful....and I hope these individuals....and thats a loose description for them........ meet Longimanus ............in his jungle...............and he does what evolution guides him to do................

  2. That's horrible... both on the account of disrespect and why would you want to see it!!

  3. I think its a case of car crash tv. How many people would watch the footage of the late Steve Irwin if it was put on tv or on youtube, I would guess millions. How many people watched Saddam Hussein (sp) being strung up. Things like the shark attack, although sad, are intrigueing for some and tasteless to others.

     

    Just for the record, I have not seen the photos of the French diver/snorkeller/swimmer and I never asked to be shown them.

     

    Stew

  4. Boje,

     

    I was a guest on one of the liveaboards you were guiding last summer. One of the most memorable parts of that trip for me was your excellent lecture on sharks, particularly your advice on oceanic encounters. Sadly we did not see any.

     

    From the sounds of it more talks, like yours, would help raise awareness of these sharks, particularly in the south. keep it up

     

    Jason

  5. Although I believe it's very distasteful to want to watch stuff like that for entertainment; I think that pictures/videos of the attack in the right hands would be viewed as nothing more than documentary. They would probably help piece together the witness statements and other factors so you'd have something more concrete than 'he said, she said'. The analysis would probably enable people to handle situations like this and develop future guidelines better and more realistically. Simply deleting all evidence just seems counter productive. On the flip side, the media getting hold of such gruesome footage would do no good at all for the already fragile reputation of sharks. Even this might have some positives if it keeps noisy snorkelers out of such admittedly dangerous waters. This seems more likely to happen now a days than a crusade against the sharks.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.