Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Video from Malaysia shot with the new Sony XR520

Started by l.babcock ·

  • 56Posts
  • 56Replies

Read-only discussion

Video from Malaysia shot with the new Sony XR520

56 posts
  1. sorry to hear that you're having issues with the Sony. i think the real strength of the current and forthcoming Red systems is the ability to shoot video in RAW format. you can do the color in post without a pre-baked-in look. will make mwb a thing of the past.

     

     

     

    Im just a poor dive shop owner. The red system is way out of my budget( with lens, $ 28,000.00 us ).

    Here is the link to what my video looked like 90% of the time, remember from my previous post, the L&M OLED monitor showed a perfect color, I was shocked when I played it back and saw all the green. I could understand if it was blue, but not green. Here it is from green productions, lol

     

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabjQffQeJA

  2. Im just a poor dive shop owner. The red system is way out of my budget( with lens, $ 28,000.00 us ).

    Here is the link to what my video looked like 90% of the time, remember from my previous post, the L&M OLED monitor showed a perfect color, I was shocked when I played it back and saw all the green. I could understand if it was blue, but not green. Here it is from green productions, lol

     

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabjQffQeJA

     

    the upcoming Red Scarlet is currently planned to have a 2/3" sensor integrated lens complete kit for $3750 shooting 3k video up to 120FPS in redcode RAW format. currently slated for Fall release. when this hits it should be huge.

     

    as for the footage i see what you mean. what were you white balancing against? looks like real nice diving. i need to visit sipadan!

  3. Curious how you set white balance and how you filmed. The footage looks like it was shot without a filter and with lights.

  4. Curious how you set white balance and how you filmed. The footage looks like it was shot without a filter and with lights.

     

    I have the best lights money could buy, and yes i was using them, they were LED, in which i am not impressed with for $ 3000.00 US. I was using a flipped up red filter. I MWB with lights on, and the filter flipped up, I then tried to MWB with the filter off, then I MWB with lights off and filter up, then I tried auto white balance, I guess what i am saying I have tried ever configuration that I know of to get the correct colors. I had a white slate zip tied to my fin for MWB, the only way i got good video, I had to keep MWB in different angles of the sun and it wasn't consistent at all. The camera is just not made for underwater use, That is if you want professional video quality, my TRV 900 blows this camera away. Im not sure what L&M plans on doing with the housing. As far as Sipadan, there caint be any place in the world as good as Sipadan. Every single dive we saw at least 15 to 20 White tip sharks, thrashers, black tips, gray reef and 20 to 30 or even more turtles every dive, then you had all the macro stuff, then you had tons of jacks, swirling barracudas in a tornado. I have been diving in Indonesia, Philippines, PNG, and of course all the boring Caribbean stuff, I haven't found any place better then this.

    Edited by l.babcock
  5. I have the best lights money could buy, and yes i was using them, they were LED, in which i am not impressed with for $ 3000.00 US. I was using a flipped up red filter. I MWB with lights on, and the filter flipped up, I then tried to MWB with the filter off, then I MWB with lights off and filter up, then I tried auto white ballance, I guess what i am saying I have tried ever configuration that I know of to get the correct colors. I had a white slate zip tied to my fin for MWB, the only way i got good video, I had to keep MWB in different angles of the sun and it wasnt consistant at all. The camera is just not made for underwater use, That is if you want professonal video quality, my TRV 900 blows this camera away. Im not sure what L&M plans on doing with the housing, because it house more bugs in it the a roach motel. As far as Sipadan, there caint be any place in the world as good as Sipadan. Every single dive we saw at least 15 to 20 White tip sharks, thrashers, black tips, gray reef and 20 to 30 or even more turtles every dive, then you had all the macro stuff, then you had tons of jacks, swirling baracudas in a tornado. I have beern diving in Indonesia, Philppines, PNG, and of course all the boring caribbean stuff, I havnt found any place better then this.

     

     

    I have seen great colour footage from the XR520 underwater... I'm not sure what is wrong with your system! It has to be a setup option somewhere in the camera. The difference between your footage and this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3scRbyhJ5A is huge! And this is in Sipidan as well, with the same camera, housing and lights! You've got to find out what is wrong with your system, it really looks to be VERY good! And your footage looks great if it was not green like that! :)

     

    I am a lowly Dive Store owner as well, have just got the same system, and totally understand how you must feel! :crazy: The good news is, there must be a way to fix your system! Maybe the dealer you got the system through, someone here, or even the guy who shot that video (his website is at the beginning) could help you go through your setup options? I've just got the camera and have only pool tested it so far so I think you need advice from someone a little more used to using this setup!

     

    Check out the video, you'll see you can sort this prob out. :D

  6. I agree something is not right. How does the cam perform for you topside, outdoors, indoors, night time ?

     

    As far as lights, I am just a hobbyist, but in my experience, daytime tropical, I only use lights for macro shots. I get better results with the filter and no lights for daytime wide and standard angle shooting. Always using manual white balance.

  7. I have seen great colour footage from the XR520 underwater... I'm not sure what is wrong with your system! It has to be a setup option somewhere in the camera. The difference between your footage and this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3scRbyhJ5A is huge! And this is in Sipidan as well, with the same camera, housing and lights! You've got to find out what is wrong with your system, it really looks to be VERY good! And your footage looks great if it was not green like that! :)

     

    I am a lowly Dive Store owner as well, have just got the same system, and totally understand how you must feel! :crazy: The good news is, there must be a way to fix your system! Maybe the dealer you got the system through, someone here, or even the guy who shot that video (his website is at the beginning) could help you go through your setup options? I've just got the camera and have only pool tested it so far so I think you need advice from someone a little more used to using this setup!

     

    Check out the video, you'll see you can sort this prob out. :D

     

     

    LOL, that is my video, i am Aquatech , it took me great pain to get that good of video, it should have been easier then what it took. I am an L&M dealer. There is something wrong with the way this camera interprets color underwater, you can get good color as you can see in my video that you posted, it just wasn't very easy to get the green out of it. There is a problem with it.

     

    Lawrence Babcock

    Edited by l.babcock
  8. I agree something is not right. How does the cam perform for you topside, outdoors, indoors, night time ?

     

    As far as lights, I am just a hobbyist, but in my experience, daytime tropical, I only use lights for macro shots. I get better results with the filter and no lights for daytime wide and standard angle shooting. Always using manual white balance.

     

     

    The camera takes awesome video topside and in low light, it just sucks underwater, i have shot video without lights with my TRV 900 many times, just using MWB and it was perfect, not the case with the XR520, like I said earlier the XR520 has a problem

  9. The camera takes awesome video topside and in low light, it just sucks underwater, i have shot video without lights with my TRV 900 many times, just using MWB and it was perfect, not the case with the XR520, like I said earlier the XR520 has a problem

     

     

    Ha that's funny it was you! lol

     

    That troubles me a bit then! How did you get that good footage and the green footage with the same camera?!

     

    What did you change/how did you change it?

  10. Ha that's funny it was you! lol

     

    That troubles me a bit then! How did you get that good footage and the green footage with the same camera?!

     

    What did you change/how did you change it?

     

     

    Yeah it troubles me too,In my previous post I give a detailed report on what I did, I had to really work with the MWB to get some good video, sometime it worked by MWB with the red filter on and sometime it didnt , even in 10-15 feet of water or 3-5 meters with direct sunlight, the video was green, I had to keep MWB on the same subject multiple times, there was no rhyme or reason what worked it was very inconsistent. It just seems like the MWB worked sometimes and sometimes it didn't, this is what is so puzzling. I have been shooting video for 20 years with different types of cameras and configurations, I have never seen a problem like this. In a nut shell, I was able to get good video by MWB, I just had to play with it on every single shot, I took about 15 hours of video and maybe got 45 min of good video.

     

     

    Lawrence

    Edited by l.babcock
  11. I just returned from Cozumel, here is a sample of video that I took

     

  12. Hi l,

     

    Nice video! :)

     

    How are you finding the WHite balance of the XR520?

     

    Any probs like above?

     

    Your footage looks really great! Was it hard work manually white balancing, or did you use auto?

  13. once you get use to MWB with XR520 its not to bad, you have to make sure your camera is set to all the correct settings, my major problem is with the housing monitor, its not very accurate on colors, it doesnt match what the camera is seeing.I dont think white balance is as accurate as it was with my TRV900

    Edited by l.babcock
  14. Hi L,

     

    Thanks for that. A bit worried about the monitors! Not so much about White balance now, but still a bit stressed about it!

     

    Looks like the Manual white balance is a bit of a pain! I have set my camera to everything at max for quality etc.

     

    What settings do you think are vital for white balance?

     

    Are you using the OLED as well, or the Sony LCD?

     

    Crazy that the "new version" of cameras don't do a vital thing like White Balance as the old models! :)

     

    Very frustrating!! :)

  15. Hi L,

     

    Thanks for that. A bit worried about the monitors! Not so much about White balance now, but still a bit stressed about it!

     

    Looks like the Manual white balance is a bit of a pain! I have set my camera to everything at max for quality etc.

     

    What settings do you think are vital for white balance?

     

    Are you using the OLED as well, or the Sony LCD?

     

    Crazy that the "new version" of cameras don't do a vital thing like White Balance as the old models! :)

     

    Very frustrating!! :)

     

    Im using the OLED monitor. as far as settings for the XR520, you have to turn off the XV color, set the image stabilization to standard, turn off the low light setting. it would be easier to adjust the white balance if the OLED monitor was seeing the actual colors the camera was seeing. also use your red filter when you set the white balance, that helps a lot, most of the time, unless your in shallow water with good sunlight, then set the white balance with the red filter off or you will have a red tint to your video, when I shoot macro, the red filter is off, and I set white balance to auto and I am using my lights. I also tried setting my white balance with lights on and red filter off works ok too for macro. I hope L&M gets the bugs out of the OLED monitor soon.

  16. Thanks heaps for that, I have changed settings and look forward to getting out and testing it myself.

     

    No kidding! To spend the extra $$ and have these issues with the OLED is dissapointing to say the least! "Game changer" indeed! Have you talked to L & M or the shop you purchased it from to see what they have to say about OLED colour matching and if there is any way to fix it?

     

    I wonder if anyone has the same unit with the LCD monitor and if they are having any issues?

     

    On another note, are you using the Locline Arms that come with the Sunray 2000 lights, or something else? Just wondering how they are working for you?

     

    Thanks and appreciate your thoughts!

    Edited by Solo_NZ
  17. L&M knows about the problem with the OLED . I am using the sunray 2000 with the locline arms, they are the 3/4 ones, you caint bend them like 1/2 ones on my other housing, they keep poping out of the joints when you bend them , a pain when it happens underwater.

  18. Lets hope they get a way to fix it for all of us that have spent the extra money! There must be a way we will be able to send our screen back and get them reprogrammed or exchanged? They seem like a very professional company, so I'm sure they'll look after us!

     

    I'm just trying to decide whether to change to Ultralight arms instead of the locline? Was just wondering if there were any probs with them underwater. Noise, popping off, movement when swimming or in a current?

     

    Thanks again. :)

  19. Lets hope they get a way to fix it for all of us that have spent the extra money! There must be a way we will be able to send our screen back and get them reprogrammed or exchanged? They seem like a very professional company, so I'm sure they'll look after us!

     

    I'm just trying to decide whether to change to Ultralight arms instead of the locline? Was just wondering if there were any probs with them underwater. Noise, popping off, movement when swimming or in a current?

     

    Thanks again. :)

     

     

    The Locline arms does make a lot of noise underwater, as far as diving in current, i never had them come off in current, just when i bend the arems to get in tight areas. How is your monitor working?

    Edited by l.babcock
  20. as far as white balance, here is another helpful hint: Go to output setting, then Disp output, then set it to LCD panel. what this does, it doesnt show any info on your OLED monitor, just what the camera is seeing. That way you can keep your manual whate balance screen up on the camera, and just hit one button for the MWB and it wont show up on the OLED

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.