Hey gang,
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a Nikon 12-24mm lens? I need it for a Galapagos trip in one month.
Thanks,
John
Read-only discussion
Hey gang,
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a Nikon 12-24mm lens? I need it for a Galapagos trip in one month.
Thanks,
John
John - I pre-ordered one from Ritz Camera (www.ritzcamera.com) a couple of weeks ago. At that time their notice said delivery in 2-4 weeks, but that notice had been running for about a month. Last week they changed the notice to 1-2 weeks. I don't know if they're just blowing smoke or if they're about to get a shipment. Their price is $1031, the same as the other discounters like B&H, but Ritz has free shipping.
You might give them a call or email and see if they really are close to shipping.
Good luck!
Jimbo,
Thanks. I just placed the order with Ritz. They were very helpful and were confident the shipment is arriving the first week of September to be shipped out immediately.
I wanted to protect the lens with some kind of filter. Is there any reason to use a polarizing filter UW?
Thanks again,
John
In my experience - Don't trust Ritz to deliver when promised. Seriously, I ordered a 12-24DX from them. I have ordered over $4,000 in items from Ritz, so have some experience.
If you call around, you CAN find a 12-24DX in stock somewhere. Try all the places in NY and LA for starters, like Roberts, Canoga Camera, BH, Helix, Adorama, Alkit, then start calling the smaller stores. The smaller stores are getting just as many lenses as the big ones it seems - but no one calls them, so they sometimes have them in stock.
Good luck!
James
I got mine two or three weeks ago at Competitive Cameras in Dallas, TX.
Also, Norman Cameras (have to do a web search) had them in stock.
Hey guys,
Thanks for the info. I'll start calling around to cover my bases.
![]()
John
Seems like quite a few people are heading to the Galapagos during the next few months.
When I searched about three weeks ago, I did find one place (can't remember who it was - I should have bookmarked it) in the U.S. that claimed to have the lens in stock for immediate delivery. The problem was that they wanted $250 more than the discounters. Since I wasn't in a real big hurry, I passed. If I had a dive trip coming up real soon, I might have taken the deal then.
I'm guessing that the lens they had was a gray market lens from Hong Kong or somewhere else in Asia. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but all things being equal, I would prefer the official U.S. import.
As for the filter, I definitely wouldn't put on a polarizer for U/W use. On the other hand, that's an expensive piece of glass, and I plan to put on an ultraviolet filter to protect it.
In any case, good luck on getting the lens in time for the trip. Hopefully, mine will come in the next four weeks so I can try it out topside in Yellowstone and Grand Teton.
But the soft coral walls of Fiji await come November...
Seems like quite a few people are heading to the Galapagos during the next few months.
You're not kidding... I'm heading for the Galapagos on Tuesday of next week ![]()
It seems like the entire underwater photographic universe is heading that way this year, except poor'ole James ![]()
My local dive leaders are in the Galapogos right now. Strange.
Die Die!!!!
I'm putting away enough $$$$ every 2 months for a Galapagos trip.... but alas, it's for a house for me and all my photo gear...;-)
Cheers
James
The October Bali trip is now down to $1950, James.
Hey guys,
Thanks for the info. I found it in stock at Competitive Cameras for less than the other quotes I received. I should receive it this week and get it out to the Channel Islands Sept.8th. I'm interested to see how it works with the Ikelite housing.
Thanks again,
John
Make sure to consult Brett at Ikelite to make sure you have your 12-24 set up properly.
Next is learning how to point your strobes and set the power for good foreground exposures with even lighting.
Good luck!
James
James,
What do you mean by "set up properly". I already have the gear sleeve which I received from Brett. I was also thinking of using the Ike manual controller with it.
Thanks,
John
John:
What boat are you diving on the 8th of Sep.
Bill
Who is going when? I'll be on the Aggressor I on Sept. 11.
I'll be in Galapagos Sept.26-Oct.10. On the Aggressor Oct 2-9th.
Bill,
I'm hoping to go out on the Peace from Ventura Harbor. Just need to check with one person about work (but I should have the day off). Interested in going?
John
I just purchased a 12 - 24 at Competative Camera also. Nice people. Thanks for the info guys. Lucky me, UPS ground is 1 day anywhere in Texas. Nothing like a new toy to play with for the holiday.
Now that's impressive. I called Competative camera at 3 PM on Wed. and the lens was delivered to my office by 12 Noon on Thur. $995 + $10 S&H.
Thanks for the tip about Competitive Cameras. I ordered the 12-24mm lens from them this morning, and they are shipping it today. Also, it was $30 cheaper than B&H or Ritz Camera.
From now on, I'll definitely check out Competitive Cameras before I order any photographic equipment!
Thanks again,
Jim
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.