Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

An idea; Underwater photographers giving back

Started by Steve Williams ·

  • 41Posts
  • 41Replies

Read-only discussion

An idea; Underwater photographers giving back

41 posts
  1. Hi folks,

    There is a nonprofit foundation headquartered in Tucson, AZ. focused on providing a marine science and oceanography educational support to local kids of all ages. The Fin Foundation was started in 2008 by a teacher and high school coach who is also an active dive instructor and all around good guy. Last year he was able to reach out and touch 5500 students and give them the fundamental message of protecting the precious ocean and its creatures. He and the other supporters travel all across the Southwestern US. in Arizona, New Mexico and western Texas to spread the word. You can see the Fin Foundation website here. The foundation is also fast becoming an important resource that teachers can draw on to help them in the classroom in these tough times.

     

    You'll notice if you toured their website that they have a gallery of photos that they use in their presentations. I have offered them the use of any of my photos that they want to help make the kids aware of the beauty and wonder just below the surface. You have to understand that most of these kids have never seen the ocean and some never will, living here in the desert. I honestly couldn't think of a better use for my stuff. Then lately I've started thinking maybe we could take it a step further. Is there a way we could help the kids and make a little money for the foundation? At the very least help spread the word about the work they do.

     

    The idea;

     

    What if we setup a website and offered up some of our images for sale with profits going to the foundation?

     

    I have setup a rough idea of what it might look like on Smugmug. With the pro level of the site comes the ability to sell prints and potentially other products with very little work on my part. Smugmug takes care of the printing, billing, etc. and it's a great site to view images. I know Cor and Julie have a great site hosted there along with a host of others.

     

    It occurred to me that other photographers might want to join in and offer up a couple of images to help educate the next generation. We could put up a photo of the photographer, a short bio and a link to their main site if they wanted. I can foresee the day when we could have twenty or thirty of us with a couple of images each for sale to help foster the understanding we so desperately need. The Fin Foundation is a section 501©(3) nonprofit organization for US tax purposes.

     

    So what do you folks think? Have I completely lost it or is there a kernel of an idea here? Any thoughts you have on the idea both positive and negative would be appreciated. I'd also love any thoughts you have on the website. It's not open for business yet; most of the text is just a placeholder for now. I'm trying to see if the Smugmug engine will support what we'd need it to do. It's looking OK so far.

     

    What do you think? Check out the draft version of the Fin Foundation Images Smugmug site here

     

    Steve

  2. Sounds ood Steve; I'm happy to provide a few images, though I'm not sure anyone will want to buy them. :D

  3. So what do you folks think? Have I completely lost it or is there a kernel of an idea here?

     

    Well you know me Steve, I am all for taking what we do and help educate people and help protect the oceans. So I don't think you lost it (well at least on this :D ) at all.

  4. Sounds ood Steve; I'm happy to provide a few images, though I'm not sure anyone will want to buy them. :D

     

    That's wonderful Jeff! Where are you keeping your images now? I'm having trouble getting the WaterWorld Images site to work for me. Do you have any thoughts on the website?

     

    Thanks Drew, I appreciate your insight on the site as well. Look better now?

     

    Steve

  5. Thanks Drew, I appreciate your insight on the site as well. Look better now?

     

    I think so, I think having the images right there (beautiful shots BTW) helps get the message across a bit more right at the beginning - beautiful shot of the Dolphin on the top, Dolphins, Sharks and Rays right there - and I like the tagline.

     

    BTW I am happy to kick in photos, but around these parts I know you will have a selection of great stuff to choose from.

  6. Good idea, I'd be happy to contribute.

  7. Good idea, I'd be happy to contribute.

     

    That's super Ross! The kids and the foundation folks will really appreciate it.

     

    I'll let the CEO and board of the foundation know that we have a tentative go from enough of the underwater photographer community to give it a try. I'll be sending you guys a PM with the particulars when I get final approval of the site.

     

    We'll also be submitting a request to the great folks at Smugmug to support us with a free site. They provide non profits a site at no cost if it meets their standard. I also still want to get very clear on the right size image to upload and make sure we have a way to really protect the files we put up.

     

    Anybody have any thoughts about other things to watch out for?

     

    Hey Gudge, can we use your unbelievable nudi portrait shot so I can buy one? :D

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  8. nice idea and work steve. I'd be very happy to help provide photos too

  9. BTW I am happy to kick in photos, but around these parts I know you will have a selection of great stuff to choose from.

     

    That's great Drew! We'll have to be careful with your Bio photo though, We don't want to scare the children. :D That's why on mine I have glasses and a hat.

     

    This could work,

    Steve

  10. nice idea and work steve. I'd be very happy to help provide photos too

     

    Super Victor, your hard part will be choosing which images to use. So many great ones.

     

    Thanks partner, you put me over the top. Now I know we can make this work to help the kids.

     

    Steve

  11. Steve,

    My waterworldimages site is being redone, just let me know when you are ready and I'll send you a few.

  12. Not crazy at all ... You can have anything of mine you want if you think it will sell.

  13. would love to be involved, great idea.

     

    Thanks Steve

     

    Karen

  14. Not crazy at all ... You can have anything of mine you want if you think it will sell.

     

    Wonderful Jeremy, Thank you. :drink:

    Have you tried to print your famous diver silhouette yet? The last time I saw it on Flickr it was looking great.

     

    Steve

  15. would love to be involved, great idea.

    Karen

     

    That's fantastic Karen! For starters a couple of your superb whale images will be wonderful additions. I'm sure you have other great work I haven't seen yet.

     

    Thank you Karen,

    Steve

  16. Wonderful Jeremy, Thank you. :drink:

    Have you tried to print your famous diver silhouette yet? The last time I saw it on Flickr it was looking great.

     

    Steve

    I have printed it at 8x10 and it looks great!

     

    I'm happy to help in other ways, too ... I'll send you a PM ...

  17. Hey Gudge, can we use your unbelievable nudi portrait shot so I can buy one? :drink:
    This one? Sure thing, any other requests?
  18. This one? Sure thing, any other requests?

    That's the one partner. I still think it is one of the most beautiful images I've ever seen.

     

    Oh you don't want me to pick, I'd take them all. :drink: We'll have to put a couple of your famous fish portraits on the site. I remember a stunning long nose butter among the many great images. One of your stunning Jelly images would be great too. It's tough to pick what folks will like and what images will look great as a large print. We have some time but I'm glad your thinking about it. We'll have to post at least one from Ningaloo reef, just so the kids have to find it on a map. :)

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  19. Hi folks,

    There is a nonprofit foundation headquartered in Tucson, AZ. focused on providing a marine science and oceanography educational support to local kids of all ages. The Fin Foundation was started in 2008 by a teacher and high school coach who is also an active dive instructor and all around good guy. Last year he was able to reach out and touch 5500 students and give them the fundamental message of protecting the precious ocean and its creatures. He and the other supporters travel all across the Southwestern US. in Arizona, New Mexico and western Texas to spread the word. You can see the Fin Foundation website here. The foundation is also fast becoming an important resource that teachers can draw on to help them in the classroom in these tough times.

     

    Site looks fine to me. How can we send you some images?

    Bill

  20. That's wonderful Bill. I need to get final approval from the foundation board and let them know that a whole host of great photographers have offered to help. I think they will be amazed and atonished by the outpouring of support. I'm testing an approach on Smugmug that will let everyone control their uploads and still offer great prints and downloads for the teachers and volunteers. I'll send out a PM in a few days to everyone who has volunteered to help. Thanks again to everyone!

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.