Hi Steve!
Great idea! If You can find anything interesting on my flick pages, I would be happy to send the images!
Keep up the good work ![]()
Karel
The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic
Started by Steve Williams ·
Read-only discussion
Hi Steve!
Great idea! If You can find anything interesting on my flick pages, I would be happy to send the images!
Keep up the good work ![]()
Karel
That's great Karel,
I really appreciate your help! I know that there is a clown and anemone shot in there that is very nice and I'm thinking about a way to use the recent fish net shots. Probably not for prints but it would really be good for the kids to see. I'm just going from memory, I'll take a look and show them to the boss. Wonderful that you offered to help from the other side of the world. I'll send you a PM when I know more.
Cheers,
Steve
I'd be more than happy if I have anything that you would like to use, but I'd be even happier if there could be an international dimension: I wonder if the Marine Conservation Society or the Shark Trust in the UK would like to have some kind of buy-in?
Tim
![]()
I think it's a great idea, and I'll pitch in some photos for the cause!
I really like the look/feel of the site as you've created it! One technical suggestion: the text says "100% of the proceeds" will go to the cause. I think it needs to read "100% of the profit", since some of the proceeds will need to go to pay for the cost of the prints. Just a detail, but you don't want anyone claiming it's deceptive, etc.
Super Tim,
I've been wondering the same thing, I'll pull some thoughts together and comment later. Thanks for the offer of some of your stuff! Huge thank you.
Bruce that's great partner! I really appreciate the thoughts on the site too. Glad somebody actually read it. Good catch on the wording, profits is what I meant to say. I'll change it.
I'll send you guys a PM later in the week.
Cheers!
Steve
Good idea, I'd be happy to contribute.
That's great Michael! Welcome to Wetpixel. Very happy you can join us. Do you have a website with your images up so I can show the foundation folks?
Great news folks! I received final approval today from the foundation CEO to go forward with our idea.
He was really impressed with the outpouring of support and the quality of the images. I'll be sending you volunteers a PM with the uploading instructions in a couple of days. I want to test it a couple more times. Be thinking about which stunning images you'd like to put up on the site. If anyone else would like to play it's never to late to join in if you'd like to help out some teachers and kids.
Hey Tim, which part of this were you thinking the folks in Europe would like to "buy in" to? The foundation helping children(tough to replicate), the images helping teachers (not quite so hard), or the print sales helping a foundation(actually pretty easy to replicate)? It's interesting to think about how we might "franchise" the concept to help worthy causes in other parts of the world. It's also pretty easy to see how there could be different websites setup with a "on continent" printer and delivery support. Europe, Middle east, Japan, Australia, Caribbean, etc. The beauty of the world underwater cuts across all cultures. It would be pretty easy to share the same images in all the sites if the photographers wished to share. Like I said, fun to think about, but I better get this one off the ground and actually working before we get too carried away.
Thanks again! ![]()
Steve
Count me in Steve!
Mike
That's great Michael! Welcome to Wetpixel. Very happy you can join us. Do you have a website with your images up so I can show the foundation folks?
Great news folks! I received final approval today from the foundation CEO to go forward with our idea.
He was really impressed with the outpouring of support and the quality of the images. I'll be sending you volunteers a PM with the uploading instructions in a couple of days. I want to test it a couple more times. Be thinking about which stunning images you'd like to put up on the site. If anyone else would like to play it's never to late to join in if you'd like to help out some teachers and kids.
Hey Tim, which part of this were you thinking the folks in Europe would like to "buy in" to? The foundation helping children(tough to replicate), the images helping teachers (not quite so hard), or the print sales helping a foundation(actually pretty easy to replicate)? It's interesting to think about how we might "franchise" the concept to help worthy causes in other parts of the world. It's also pretty easy to see how there could be different websites setup with a "on continent" printer and delivery support. Europe, Middle east, Japan, Australia, Caribbean, etc. The beauty of the world underwater cuts across all cultures. It would be pretty easy to share the same images in all the sites if the photographers wished to share. Like I said, fun to think about, but I better get this one off the ground and actually working before we get too carried away.
Thanks again!
Steve
Hi Steve,
I'm happy to help, just hope you can take a bit of time to see which images on my flickr (flicrk.com/photos/badrulhuzaimi) are worthy since a lot of pros here have pledge theirs as it were. Do let me know?
Cheers,
Bart
That's great Michael! Welcome to Wetpixel. Very happy you can join us. Do you have a website with your images up so I can show the foundation folks?
Great news folks! I received final approval today from the foundation CEO to go forward with our idea.
He was really impressed with the outpouring of support and the quality of the images. I'll be sending you volunteers a PM with the uploading instructions in a couple of days. I want to test it a couple more times. Be thinking about which stunning images you'd like to put up on the site. If anyone else would like to play it's never to late to join in if you'd like to help out some teachers and kids.
Hey Tim, which part of this were you thinking the folks in Europe would like to "buy in" to? The foundation helping children(tough to replicate), the images helping teachers (not quite so hard), or the print sales helping a foundation(actually pretty easy to replicate)? It's interesting to think about how we might "franchise" the concept to help worthy causes in other parts of the world. It's also pretty easy to see how there could be different websites setup with a "on continent" printer and delivery support. Europe, Middle east, Japan, Australia, Caribbean, etc. The beauty of the world underwater cuts across all cultures. It would be pretty easy to share the same images in all the sites if the photographers wished to share. Like I said, fun to think about, but I better get this one off the ground and actually working before we get too carried away.
Thanks again!
Steve
Count me in Steve!
Mike
That's super Mike, thanks! The teachers will really appreciate it. I gave Smugmug the credit card today so we are officially on our way.
Hi Bart,
That's great that you offered! The shot titled "Sephia of P.Tinggi" has a lot of potential if you wouldn't mind me cleaning it up a little. It's a very nice image. The Powershot at 7 Mp will be fine when we blow it up to a big print as long as it's not cropped too much. Another shot I really love is the HDR jetty image. That's really nice too. I wasn't planning on any above the water shots but you have me rethinking that approach.
I'll be sending you both a PM
Thanks,
Steve
As per my response on Flickr, just let me know if you would like anything from me... What a wonderful idea Steve!
Mike
Hi Steve!
What a nice idea!
If you interesting any img on my flikr, just let me know.
Thanks guys! I really appreciate your offers to join us. Mike, the "circle is the first, the simplest and most perfect form" has to be in there. What a great shot, and there are a bunch of others. It will be tough choosing.
Speaking of tough to choose, how am I going to pick only a couple from a guy that has 123 images in his favorites folder? And they are all great. You just made my job a lot harder Enje. I just noticed your shot of your 2 yr old son with his fins and mask. Hang on to that one!
New news, We are now the proud owners of the domain name "FinFoundationImages.com" I'll send everyone a PM tomorrow.
Cheers,
Steve
Just a note to Thank everyone who has contributed their images for use by the Fin Foundation. You guys rock!
The shots are all loaded up on the website and your smiling faces are there too. School has started here and the foundation has been getting many more calls from teachers and schools this year and has already done a bunch of presentations. The new images you folks provided have been a huge hit! The kids love them.
The foundation folks who go out to the schools have been blown away by the images. They make their job of keeping the kids attention and getting them excited about the ocean so much easier.
If anyone else would like to help support the cause with a couple of great shots or I missed you the first time around please send me a PM.
Thank you!
Steve
Fin Foundation update Dec. 2009:
Since March of this year the foundation folks have gone out and talked to more than 6000 students. Last month they week all the way to El Paso, Texas where they spoke to a hundred or so special needs kids that the local school system bused in from all over the area. Shaun said it was wonderful to see the sight impaired youngsters hold a shark's jaw and feel the teeth for the first time. As always the images the our photographers here provided were a big hit and a great introduction to the ocean. And now for the big news: From the Foundation;
"The Fin Foundation is now working in partnership with Biosphere II and the University of Arizona to help bring more ocean awareness and education to the desert! We will be providing additional artifacts and education to their normal tours and helping with their summer teacher programs! It should be a great step for us towards our goal of bringing the ocean to the classroom!"
We also recently added Sharon Stone who graciously offered two of her whale images from Tonga for the website and the kids. Wonderful to have the ladies represented.
Cheers all!
Steve
Fin Foundation update Dec. 2009:Since March of this year the foundation folks have gone out and talked to more than 6000 students. Last month they week all the way to El Paso, Texas where they spoke to a hundred or so special needs kids that the local school system bused in from all over the area. Shaun said it was wonderful to see the sight impaired youngsters hold a shark's jaw and feel the teeth for the first time. As always the images the our photographers here provided were a big hit and a great introduction to the ocean. And now for the big news: From the Foundation;
"The Fin Foundation is now working in partnership with Biosphere II and the University of Arizona to help bring more ocean awareness and education to the desert! We will be providing additional artifacts and education to their normal tours and helping with their summer teacher programs! It should be a great step for us towards our goal of bringing the ocean to the classroom!"
We also recently added Sharon Stone who graciously offered two of her whale images from Tonga for the website and the kids. Wonderful to have the ladies represented.
Cheers all!
Steve
Congrats Steve, that is all great news.
to you for such a wonderful job and effort....
Way to go Steve!
No wonder I haven't seen Sharon Stone on the big screen lately...she's too busy as an underwater photographer! ![]()
Keep up the good work!
Mike
No wonder I haven't seen Sharon Stone on the big screen lately...she's too busy as an underwater photographer!
Whoops,
huge mistake ''Karen Stone" just joined us.
She's going to kill me. ![]()
Steve
Is ok, i call her Karen Varndell... ![]()
Its all down to "Basic Instinct"
Mikey Varndell was so last year!
Great job Steve.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.