Looks like the camera might fit in a D300 housing. Just losing a few of the back controls.
Have to be careful though. With Subal housings just the slightest misalignment could make the back O ring not seal properly. I had an issue with an old film housing. The rail for the camera shoe had very slight become unscrewed. Pushed on the back of the housing just enough so the O ring would work. Fortunately it look a little odd so I tested it in the rinse tank. No damage done.
A new back might do the job. Subal though insists that each back be specifically lined up for each housing. So IF they would make a new back you will probably have to send the housing to Austria.
Oh Im excited...I just wish they had released the competitor to the 5d2. Such a great camera, but Im still such a Nikon guy!!
Curiously the buttons on the back of the D300s looks more like the back of the D700, than the D300:
D300s
D700
snip
Alex
Good point! Maybe no need to change the selector. If they would just swap the useless key button (only for those that shoot just jpegs and retain all their images in the camera to show their friends) for an LV button then there would be no need for a body change at all on the D700! There is hope!
That all sounds great, but I am very curious to see how it pans out considering the difference in size and location of the D700 viewfinder over the D300. Cant they just have them ready for us to buy right now!!
That all sounds great, but I am very curious to see how it pans out considering the difference in size of the D700 viewfinder over the D300. Cant they just have them ready for us to buy right now!!
It is not the size of view finder but, yes, it is in different location and housing
cannot be shared (I learned it when I was converting my d200 housing to
take d300/d700).
Sam
It is not the size of view finder but, yes, it is in different location and housing
cannot be shared (I learned it when I was converting my d200 housing to
take d300/d700).
Sam
Dear Sam
Do you think the Subal D20 , converted by your kit to take D300, can be made to take a D300s ,
Don Howie
Don,
I think it is possible but, am not sure you want to drill holes to back cover
yourself & you need a professional bench drill to do the job.
Nexus is different (I am not Nexus saleman....but) & I made new back window
& will just add 2-3 holes there.
Sam
Pictures shows PCB from D300 & new PCB from D300S with 4 ddr2 memory.
I am not sure what it exactly does but, d300s surely has fast AF & less noise on high ISO.
Sam
I just wish they had released the competitor to the 5d2. Such a great camera, but Im still such a Nikon guy!!
Me too! A Nikon competitor to the 5d2 would be damn good right about now!
Anyone try this yet? I hear its already out in a few countries.... I must say though that I am more interested in whether the upcoming D700x will fit in a D700 housing... but if this does fit my D300 Sea & Sea housing (with full use of the Multi controller using existing housing buttons), I'll be buying one the moment it hits the shelves.... I like the idea of Video
So based on the specs of this, any reason to get this over the D90. I need to jump on the D90 if I go that way since I have an Indo trip in 2+ wks and need a housing. Or I wait and get this and get a housing for the next trip. Anyone care to guestimate the D300s v/s D90 advantages (guestimate since nobody has taken one under yet).
Anyone try this yet? I hear its already out in a few countries.... I must say though that I am more interested in whether the upcoming D700x will fit in a D700 housing... but if this does fit my D300 Sea & Sea housing (with full use of the Multi controller using existing housing buttons), I'll be buying one the moment it hits the shelves.... I like the idea of Video
I suppose to get a d300s last week but, I told them to hold for few days as price is dropping
everyday since 7d is announced. I will get one in few days.
Sam
Hi folks,
Just wanted to add some info to this thread regarding Subal housings. We just heard from Subal this week that they have an ND300s housing coming very soon, a prototype of which will be shown at DEMA. There is also going to be an upgrade available for existing ND300 owners, by replacing the back lid with one designed for the new control layout of the D300s.
So fantastic news for Subal ND300 shooters wanting to add video to their toolbox! It's the only upgrade of its kind that I know of at this point.
Best regards,
Sterling
Hi Guys: I just heard from Aquatica and Sea&Sea, and they both will have a housing for the D300s at the DEMA show with production following. Thanks, Ray J