Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon Announces D300s and D3000

Started by Drew ·

  • 34Posts
  • 34Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon Announces D300s and D3000

34 posts
  1. Nikon has announced the update to the D300, by adding an "S", dual card slots (CF and SD) and 720p video and more speed to give us the D300s. The most important thing for manufacturers and underwater shooters alike is that there is a slight change in the back. This is probably to accomodate the new video function and dual card slot:

    D300s back

    25464_D300S_back.jpg

     

    Old D300 back

    25432_D300_back.jpg

     

     

    D300s Specs:

    Image Sensor FormatDX

     

    Image Sensor TypeCMOS

     

    Sensor Size 23.6 x 15.8mm

     

    Total Pixels13.1 million

     

    Effective Pixels12.3 million

     

    Image Area (pixels)

     

    DX-format

    (L) 4,288x2,848

    (M) 3,216x2,136

    (S) 2,144x1,424

     

    Top Continuous Shooting Speed at full resolution7 frames per second

     

    Continuous Shooting Options

    DX-format

    CH: Up to 7 frames per second

    CL: Up to 6 frames per second

     

    LCD Monitor Size3 in. diagonal

     

    LCD Monitor TypeSuper Density

     

    LCD Monitor Resolution920,000 Dots

     

    LCD Monitor Angle of View170-degree wide-viewing angle

     

    LCD Monitor AdjustmentsBrightness, 7 levels

     

    Shutter typeElectronically controlled vertical-travel focal-plane

     

    Slowest Shutter Speed30 sec. in steps of 1/3,1/2,1 EV

     

    Fastest Shutter Speed1/8000 sec. in steps of 1/3,1/2,1 EV

     

    Bulb Shutter SettingYes

     

    Mirror Lock UpYes

     

    Lowest Standard ISO Sensitivity200 in steps of 1/3,1/2,1 EV

     

    Highest Standard ISO Sensitivity3200 in steps of 1/3,1/2,1 EV

     

    Expanded ISO Sensitivity Options

    Lo-1 (ISO 100 equivalent) in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 1 EV

     

    Hi-1 (ISO 6400 equivalent) in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 1 EV

     

     

    Storage MediaCompactFlash© (Type I/II, compliant with UDMA), SD, SDHC

     

    File FormatUncompressed 12/14-bit NEF (RAW)

    Compressed 12/14-bit NEF (RAW, Lossless compressed): approx. 60-80 percent

    JPEG: JPEG-baseline-compliant; can be selected from Size Priority and Optimal Quality

    TIFF (RGB)

     

    File SystemCompliant with DCF 2.0

    DPOF

    EXIF 2.21

    Pict Bridge

     

    Exposure ModesProgrammed Auto (P) with Flexible Program

    Shutter-Priority Auto (S)

    Aperture-Priority Auto (A)

    Manual (M)

     

    Exposure Metering System1,005-pixel RGB sensor 3D Color Matrix Metering II

    Variable Center-weighted

    Spot

     

    Metering Range1) 0 to 20 EV (Matrix or center-weighted metering); 2) 2 to 20 EV (Spot metering) (ISO 100 equivalent, f/1.4 lens, at 20 degrees C/68 degrees F)

     

    Exposure Meter CouplingCPU

    AI

     

    Exposure Compensation±5EV in increments of 1/3

    1/2

    1

     

    Exposure LockYes

     

    Exposure BracketingYes

    2-9 frames, in increments of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV

     

    Shutter Release ModesContinuous low-speed [CL] mode; 1-7 frames-per-second

    1) Single frame mode 2) Continuous low speed [CL] mode: 1 to 7 frames per second (note 1) 3) Continuous high-speed [CH] mode: 8 frames per second (note 1) , 7 frames per second (note 2) 4) LiveView [LV] mode 5) Quiet shutter-release [Q] 6) Self-timer mode 7) Mirror-up [Mup] mode Note 1. When using EH-5a/EH-5 AC Adapter or MB-D10 Multi-Power Battery Pack with batteries other than EN-EL3e Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Note 2. When using EN-EL3e Rechargeable Li-ion Battery (When shooting in Continuous-servo AF ©, Shutter-Priority Auto or Manual [M] exposure modes, at a shutter speed of 1/250 s or faster with other settings at default)

     

    Movie ModesMovie with sound

    HD 1280 x 720/24 fps VGA 640 x 424/24 fps QVGA 320 x 216/24 fps

     

    Movie AudioBuilt-in microphone, monaural

    Optional external stereo mini-pin jack (3.5mm diameter)

    Microphone sensitivity can be adjusted

     

    White Balance

    Auto (TTL white balance with 1,005-pixel RGB sensor) Seven manual modes with fine-tuning; Sun Shade Fluorescent Incandescent Flash Preset Fine Tune by Kelvin Color temperature setting

     

    White Balance BracketingYes, 2 to 9 exposures, in increments of 1, 2 or 3

     

     

    On the low end, Nikon also simultaneously released the D3000. Sporting a 10.2 mp DX sensor, the camera comes with a kit 18-55VR lens:

    Edited by Drew
  2. We might see this back change again on the D700. :drink:

    Edited by Tom_Kline
  3. A few may have been hoping for a high and low body res FF body that would fit in the same housing. :drink:

    Edited by Tom_Kline
  4. This post seems to have returned! My previous reply managed to get moved to another thread so here it is again: This back change may be seen again with the D700. :) A few may have been hoping for a high and low body res FF body that would fit in the same housing. :drink:

     

    Very interesting pics... Yes, the focus switch has moved, but that's not necessarily a deal killer to using the D300s in a D300 housing. At least in my Ikelite the knob to switch focus might be "tweakable" to work with the new positioning. Of course, if the only way to access video is through the LV button then that won't be available. I wonder if they are going to take LV off the rotating switch on the top left?

     

    At any rate, it could be worse... I'll bet a lot of people end up using the D300s in a D300 housing.

     

    thanks,

    JP

    Edited by johnspierce
  5. This post seems to have returned! My previous reply managed to get moved to another thread so here it is again: This back change may be seen again with the D700. :) A few may have been hoping for a high and low body res FF body that would fit in the same housing. :drink:

     

    Sorry Tom, but while I was messing with this post, you were posting. I've edited your post to remove the quote. I'm sure everyone who reads will understand what you are talking about. :)

  6. I do not see the problem to put into my nexus d200 housing.

    I will add 2 buttons to back window like I did to d700 window.

     

    Sam

  7. Sorry Tom, but while I was messing with this post, you were posting. I've edited your post to remove the quote. I'm sure everyone who reads will understand what you are talking about. :drink:

     

    No problem, looks like our electrons were colliding. I made some edits.

  8. I do not see the problem to put into my nexus d200 housing.

    I will add 2 buttons to back window like I did to d700 window.

     

    Sam

     

    Adaptation may vary by housing. The navigation button has been tweaked as well.

  9. Sam

    It's great to be able to reuse the housing but I think for those wanting to use video, the housings with specifically dimensioned D200 LCD window will be a bit too small. Those housings with full plexi backs on the other hand will have happy owners.

    I'm a little underwhelmed with this update really. Looks to me this is what the D300 should've been originally. I mean it's only 2 years old. Manufacturers tend to hop along on one foot until the competition comes up with something great. Right now I have to agree with Cor on his rant.

    Edited by Drew
  10. Sam

    It's great to be able to reuse the housing but I think for those wanting to use video, the housings with specifically dimensioned D200 LCD window will be a bit too small. Those housings with full plexi backs on the other hand will have happy owners.

    I'm a little underwhelmed with this update really. Looks to me this is what the D300 should've been originally. I mean it's only 2 years old. Manufacturers tend to hop along on one foot until the competitor comes up with something great. Right now I have to agree with Cor on his rant.

     

     

    They have stayed with the same video spec as the D90, no 1080p. Maybe there is to be yet another version in another year or so. Waiting for the next gen of chips, cards, or USB etc.?? This is now their DX 'flagship'.

  11. Well I think it's a lame update... like I thought the 1D2N was for the 1D2. Basically the 1D2N was the camera the 1D2 should've been, minus the issues.

    To be fair, I don't think Canon knew the 5D2's video capability would be such a hit. I doubt they were responding to Scarlet but more to just trump the D90. Suddenly their product has found an entire new market. It'll be interesting to see if the Japanese will think "outside the box" more often now. To release a video camera without manual exposure controls was just plain dumb!

  12. Well I think it's a lame update... like I thought the 1D2N was for the 1D2. Basically the 1D2N was the camera the 1D2 should've been, minus the issues.

    To be fair, I don't think Canon knew the 5D2's video capability would be such a hit. I doubt they were responding to Scarlet but more to just trump the D90. Suddenly their product has found an entire new market. It'll be interesting to see if the Japanese will think "outside the box" more often now. To release a video camera without manual exposure controls was just plain dumb!

     

     

    I gather that video in dSLRs is a 'work in progress'. Of course they may be deliberately leaving things out for future updates! :drink:

  13. Sam

    It's great to be able to reuse the housing but I think for those wanting to use video, the housings with specifically dimensioned D200 LCD window will be a bit too small. Those housings with full plexi backs on the other hand will have happy owners.

    I'm a little underwhelmed with this update really. Looks to me this is what the D300 should've been originally. I mean it's only 2 years old. Manufacturers tend to hop along on one foot until the competition comes up with something great. Right now I have to agree with Cor on his rant.

    Drew,

    I was talking about my'nexus' d200 housing which has full view of d300 LCD.

    Subal and other housings are different story.

     

    Sam

  14. Curiously the buttons on the back of the D300s looks more like the back of the D700, than the D300:

     

    D300s

    25464_D300S_back.jpg

     

    D700

    25444_D700_back.jpg

     

    D300

    25432_D300_back.jpg

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  15. Ive sanwitched D300 and D300s in photoshop to see the difference, assuming that size stays the same for both.

    D300.jpg

    it is not so bad the difference is mostly in joystick and focusing mode

  16. Curiously the buttons on the back of the D300s looks more like the back of the D700, than the D300:

     

    Yeah looks like there's more than enough space to pop in a Lv button on the D700x without moving anything else. :drink:

     

    Drew, is Contrast Detection autofocus in movie mode of any value?

    Edited by loftus
  17. With the range of FX cameras increasing will Canon and Nikon continue development of DX sensors? If so how many megapixels will DX sensors reach in the next 12-18 months?

  18. With the range of FX cameras increasing will Canon and Nikon continue development of DX sensors? If so how many megapixels will DX sensors reach in the next 12-18 months?

     

     

    I would expect Nikon to release a 15-16MP camera in that period - D400 (with the sensor then handed down through the range). Alex

  19. I wouldn't know Jeff. I don't use AF for video uw. I'm more afraid of the AF going on a hunting spree for contrast than anything else. Bad WB, artifactting etc can be fixed, OOF shots are useless. I'm one of those that prefer manual focus. The problem is too many manufacturers have relied on AF to do the work in DSLR and with VIDSLR, the game has changed YET again. I've been trying to figure which housing is best that I can use a zoom and focus gear at the same time.

  20. When I tried video with my D90, It was producing a good quality

    macro video in avi file(easy to see/share) & it will cost me a big

    money if I want same quality lens for my video. One thing I missed

    was AF & d300s looks like has it.

     

    Local Nikon will release new camera by 27 August and I will post

    a sample in few days from it.

     

    Sam

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.