Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

iso

Started by matt215 ·

  • 28Posts
  • 28Replies

Read-only discussion

iso

28 posts
  1. these new digital cameras have some really hight iso settings. so, how high can you crank up the iso before you get too much noise...

  2. these new digital cameras have some really hight iso settings. so, how high can you crank up the iso before you get too much noise...

    Depends on the camera, the lighting, the subject/composition and what you think is 'too much' noise

  3. these new digital cameras have some really hight iso settings. so, how high can you crank up the iso before you get too much noise...

     

    As Jeremy said, lots of factors, but on the 5D Mark II I have seen some really nice images at ISOs 1000-1600

     

    Not sure what ISOs Video On Canon Site but looks like they were all at 1600 as shown Here On Canon's Site, pretty good in low light

  4. I can use 4000 ISO on the 5D2 in natural light super macro (up to 5:1) and it's fine, some post producted noise reduction is far enought to kill the small noise : )

  5. I can use 4000 ISO on the 5D2

     

    Everytime I see numbers like that, I always think of was pushing the various Ektachrome versions a stop or two. Or when regular film started getting released at crazy high numbers like 400, then 800 etc.

  6. Everytime I see numbers like that, I always think of was pushing the various Ektachrome versions a stop or two. Or when regular film started getting released at crazy high numbers like 400, then 800 etc.

    On the Nikon D700, under the right circumstances, everything below ISO 2500 is pretty clean.

     

    I've even used ISO 25,600 and made some grainy, but photographically passable B&W prints.

     

    I use 1600 without reservation all the time.

     

    I'd bet the 5Dmkii is probably about 1 stop behind the D700.

  7. I'd bet the 5Dmkii is probably about 1 stop behind the D700.

    or before. stop being Nikon pro :) big reviews show exactly the same noise no matter how many ISO, but then the 21mpixel makes the difference when noise reduction works :)

     

    well, it's was just for fun, no war please :)

  8. well, it's was just for fun, no war please :)

     

    Yeah ... sure ... hit and run ... I see.

     

    I'm not interested in anything other than helping the OP, but while the 5DMkii is a mighty fine camera, it doesn't match the noise performance of the D700 ... pretty close, but at the end of the day, the D700 is better in that regard.

  9. it doesn't match the noise performance of the D700 ... pretty close, but at the end of the day, the D700 is better in that regard.

     

    You d@mned Nikon fnaboys are all the same "Nikon this, Nikon that" Yeah yeah yeah :)

     

    But it is very impressive that you were going to 25,600 and got something you thought was good an 1,600 as a matter of course is fine.

     

    And now back to the regularly scheduled Nikon/Canon fights :)

  10. Yeah ... sure ... hit and run ... I see.

     

    I'm not interested in anything other than helping the OP, but while the 5DMkii is a mighty fine camera, it doesn't match the noise performance of the D700 ... pretty close, but at the end of the day, the D700 is better in that regard.

    I don't hit and run, I just don't want to start a frecking Canon vs Nikon.

    Its funny how you're building your dream in your head that YOU bought the best camera, a lot of people do that :)

    but, instead of just saying "it's better", can you show us serious test on that, taking same images at same ISO, with same correction ? and, as it will be the same, can you then realize that the 21mpx makes a difference ?

     

    I don't really care about knowing who is better at what, I'm happy with what I have and I would not care if the D700 would be 2 times better, but it's just that you say things just like that and people might think you're right, which is far to be true as you say it.

     

    Then, if you're a Nikon reseller, it's a different story of course. :)

    Edited by Autopsea
  11. Perhaps a better question for those super high end full frame cameras would be how high you have to crank the ISO before you get enough noise.

  12. Everytime I see numbers like that, I always think of was pushing the various Ektachrome versions a stop or two. Or when regular film started getting released at crazy high numbers like 400, then 800 etc.

     

    I had no idea you were such an old fart

  13. I don't hit and run, I just don't want to start a frecking Canon vs Nikon.

     

    Obviously you do, or you wouldn't have taken such an innocuous (and true) comment and challenged it ... all the while claiming not to want to to argue.

     

    Its funny how you're building your dream in your head that YOU bought the best camera, a lot of people do that :)

    You are really adding a lot of your own bullshit on top of this exchange ... all I said was that the D700 was about a stop better than the 5dMkii as far as noise ... I didn't say I bought the "best" camera ... you are the one that seems invested in the 5D being 'the best' ...

     

    but, instead of just saying "it's better", can you show us serious test on that, taking same images at same ISO,

     

    Sure I could ... and I would if it weren't such a banal and obvious point ... Everyone knows the D700/D3 sensor is the cleanest DSLR sensor on the market. The 5D is a great camera and does things the D700 doesn't and vice versa. I never said the D700 was a 'better' camera ... I just said it produces less noise than the 5D.

     

    with same correction ? and, as it will be the same, can you then realize that the 21mpx makes a difference ?

     

    You are conflating resolution and noise ... and the real test is to look at the files prior to any noise reduction.

     

    but it's just that you say things just like that and people might think you're right, which is far to be true as you say it.

     

    I am right.

     

    Take a deep breath ... the D700 produces less noise than the 5D Mkii.

     

     

     

     

    I had no idea you were such an old fart

    Oh, he's old alright ... and salty, too.

     

    :)

  14. Obviously you do, or you wouldn't have taken such an innocuous (and true) comment and challenged it ... all the while claiming not to want to to argue.

     

    well, you started by saying the 5D2 is a stop behind.

     

     

    I am right.

     

    Take a deep breath ... the D700 produces less noise than the 5D Mkii.

    I have fully read the most readed french magazine saying, with images and long tests on several pages, that they can't see any difference, exept that the D700 produce purple noise and the 5D2 more red noise. so cool :)

     

    I didn't buy the 5D2 because it's the best, but because I needed it and I had already canon lenses. I wouldn't mind having a D700, exept that Nikon don't do lense I need when Canon does. so my choice come from here.

     

    anyway, this really is not the question here, I'll keep believing serious tests more than your holy faith coming from nowhere :)

     

    have a nice day :]

    Edited by Autopsea
  15. well, you started by saying the 5D2 is a stop behind.

    That's called a fact.

     

    I have fully read the most readed french magazine saying, with images and long tests on several pages, that they can't see any difference, exept that the D700 produce purple noise and the 5D2 more red noise. so cool :)

    Well, they must not have been very scientific tests. I speak and read french - go ahead a post a link to some hard science.

     

    I'll keep believing serious tests more than your holy faith coming from nowhere :)

    What an obnoxious thing to say. I really can't stand it when people say they don't want a fight and then throw punches as they try to slink away.

     

    Here ... enjoy: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image...brand2%29/Nikon

     

    You'll notice the 5D Mkii is about a stop behind.

     

    post-14536-1249996926.jpg

  16. I had no idea you were such an old fart

     

    You know I do want to come back with a snappy comment, yet I am always hesitant because of the photo of you with the rifle from awhile back :)

     

    But as they say, you are as old as you feel, and let me tell you Cleopatra was a blast to party with, though she did have a freaky thing going on with snakes.. Also if you run into Mark Antony, do me a favor and do not mention you have seen me recently. I think he is still kind of PO'd about a little misunderstanding we haf regarding Cleo (yeah, that was my pet name for her.)

     

    Oh, he's old alright ... and salty, too.

     

    :)

     

    Not after I shower, which reminds me That I have to get soap ready for my next one. Think it is coming up sometime next weekend. Got to check my calender.

  17. Not after I shower, which reminds me That I have to get soap ready for my next one. Think it is coming up sometime next weekend. Got to check my calender.

    yeah - I took one today because even the dog wouldn't sit near me anymore.

     

    (I have to make age jokes ... I'm turning 40 in a few weeks :) )

  18. 2 rifles... :)

  19. 2 rifles... :)

     

    Make that two none snappy comments, subject to the number of rounds you have around :)

  20. Argue your points as vehemently as you wish, but please avoid making arguments personal.

     

    Alex

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.