Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 7D rumors

Started by Drew ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 7D rumors

26 posts
  1. Sept 1 is coming and the threat of yet another release of cameras from Canon is nigh... this time the 7D. No don't worry 5D2 peeps, it's not FF but APS-C but will have full HD and high fps. The most interesting will be the dual Digic IV and dual card. It should be in the 14-15mp range so it should be interesting to see what kind of results come out of it.

  2. Sept 1 is coming and the threat of yet another release of cameras from Canon is nigh... this time the 7D. No don't worry 5D2 peeps, it's not FF but APS-C but will have full HD and high fps. The most interesting will be the dual Digic IV and dual card. It should be in the 14-15mp range so it should be interesting to see what kind of results come out of it.

     

    I have been watching this one for awhile now and since I have EF-S lenses ;)

  3. That sounds exciting - I have EF-S lenses too! One of the things putting me off the 5D2 was the need for all new lenses.

  4. You would think Canon <i>would</i> put an articulating screen on the 7D, given that Nikon and Sony have done so. Or at least have a screen that tilts vertically. That would be great underwater. A housing could be made to allow some space for the LCD to tilt up by 45º or 60º, and the shooter could swim and shoot with his or her head at a normal angle.

  5. Ooooh man, this one is going to be hard to pass up. At least we'll have six months to think about it before the housings come out.

     

    Polishing up the Visa,

    Steve

  6. Today on Canon Rumors there are some images purporting to show the 7D and the new 100mm f/2.8L IS macro.

    8689636-300x172.jpg

    8689686-300x152.jpg

     

    Ooo la la.

  7. If that's the 7D it's a consumer camera with no front command dial... Hmm...

     

    Cheers

    James

  8. If that's the 7D it's a consumer camera with no front command dial... Hmm...

     

     

    Good point there. Not sure if I see one there either. Just figured it would go with the design of anything over the Rebel line. Would be very strange if one is not included, perhaps it is the image angle or shading?... here is the image link to larger http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uplo.../08/8689636.jpg

     

     

    I really like having two dials myself.....

  9. If that's the real deal I'm having trouble seeing the value of 18 Megapixels on a cropped format. Maybe the Canon engineers have come up with some new IQ breakthrough? It will be very interesting to see how the first units perform. I was also wondering how the new On-Off switch location affects the housing designs.

     

    Which dial are you missing James? I'm seeing both that I would expect.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  10. If that's the real deal I'm having trouble seeing the value of 18 Megapixels on a cropped format. Maybe the Canon engineers have come up with some new IQ breakthrough? It will be very interesting to see how the first units perform.

     

    Well companies can blow it, but with the war between the camera companies (and with Canon dropping the megapixels on the G11) it looks like they are thinking a bit more about IQ, hopefully more so where this camera is designed to sit in terms of price point. Guess we will see....

     

     

    Which dial are you missing James? I'm seeing both that I would expect.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

    The one I was looking for is the one the sits right behind the shutter release on the 40D and it is not clear from the images to me, though other shots of the 40D, for instance, are also sometimes not clear to see it. But it would be strange if it is not there...

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  11. I expanded the image and there is definitely a command dial there. The on off is moved to under the mode dial. And of course you have the new video buttons. At first glance it strikes me that we may be seriously approaching button overload. How many holes can you put in a housing anyway?

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  12. Well I won't buy anything camera that has less than 17mp anyhow. It's all about detail! ;)

    Noise I can deal with but detail is detail.

    If this thing fits in a 5D2 housing... WIN!

  13. I expanded the image and there is definitely a command dial there. The on off is moved to under the mode dial. And of course you have the new video buttons. At first glance it strikes me that we may be seriously approaching button overload. How many holes can you put in a housing anyway?

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

     

    Not sure how many holes, will go into the same catagory as how many licks does it really take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop - the world may never know....

     

    Does seem like more buttons, but I am sort of getting accustomed to it, maybe because I ignore most of them most of the time anyway. ;)

     

     

    Well I won't buy anything camera that has less than 17mp anyhow. It's all about detail! :D Noise I can deal with but detail is detail.

    If this thing fits in a 5D2 housing... WIN!

     

     

    What happens if it is 16.5 Megapixels but still fits into a 5D2 housing? God the decisions that have to be made ...

  14. Not sure how many holes, will go into the same catagory as how many licks does it really take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop - the world may never know....

     

    Does seem like more buttons, but I am sort of getting accustomed to it, maybe because I ignore most of them most of the time anyway. ;)

     

     

     

     

     

    What happens if it is 16.5 Megapixels but still fits into a 5D2 housing? God the decisions that have to be made ...

     

    If it doesn't fit into a 5D Mkii housing how long does it typically take for the first housings to come out, 6 months – 1 year. I know Sea & Sea took almost a year and a half to get the 5D Mkii housing into stores.

  15. Errr MJ

    the 5D2 has only been out since Nov last year and they released in June. ;)

    I think every manufacturer saw the importance of the 5D2 and made haste in producing housings.

  16. I think every manufacturer saw the importance of the 5D2 and made haste in producing housings.

     

    If the 7D really comes along those lines I think the same thing can occur here. The new ES-F lenses look like they are interesting as some walkaround lenses or a scout lens. I would guess (hope?) Canon has enough improvements in them to work with the higher megapixel APS-C sensors at a decent level. Will be interesting to see how all the testing shakes out.

  17. Well I won't buy anything camera that has less than 17mp anyhow.

    camera snob

  18. camera snob

     

    Face it, you think that anyone who purchases any camera is a camera snob ;)

  19. nah, just Drew the Pixelator ;)

  20. No Mike, I just have good eyesight unlike you. I use to think resolution wasn't as important since I tend to shoot right up on subjects. Once you back off from a subject, detail becomes so important. I think 21mp is good enough for me for the next 5 years. ;)

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.