But who'd be to blame if a part came loose and the whole wheel came off causing an accident and you found out it was a 'problem' in manufacturing and wasn't mentioned in the manual after only driving the new car for 50 miles ??? Do you check all a cars parts before every journey or do you think there should be 'some' reliability when purchasing an expensive product...
I'm not blaming anyone but every story has different explanations and blaming one person doesn't answer or solve the problem ... If its a faulty item then can it be replaced or upgraded and 'in my opinion' suddenly admitting this 'can' happen is an admission of some kind...
Dive safe
DeanB
Dont want to beat a dead horse, but essentialy, we all have a assumed belief that when we buy something it should function as advertised. That I dont argue. But the grey area is how long should that belief last, and how much faith should we put into such assumed belief? In your scenario, if the car was driven for a thousand miles on the highway, and the wheel stayed on, you would expect that. But what if said car was in the baja 1000, driven off road, and the wheel fell off? Would you expect that? We have NO idea how much vibration, handling, etc, his housing had for the nut to come loose. Sure, it could have been loose leaving the factory and it took 50 dives before it got to the point it leaked, but IMO, one should check his gear on the first dive, and then again every so often. The mfg cannot be held responsible for every scenario that could happen. It's just not realistic. On the other hand, im just as guilty as the next guy about not being a fanatic about checking out my gear every dive. IF something happens, its going to suck big time, but im not going to blame the mfg, unless I can see some glaring mfg defect. (eg, the bulkhead snaps off, and I can examine the housing and see something like insufficient material around the bulkhead threads causing such failure.)
Let me tell you a story that happened to me, and you tell me if you think I was entitled to reimbursement for my loss....
I used to race Nascar late model stock cars. At one race, it was well over 100 degrees. About 50 laps into it, in heavy traffic, I noticed the water temp climbing over 230 degrees. (normally runs about 190-200 degrees) I got on the radio and my crewcheif advised me to try to get the car some clean air (eg, get off the guys ass in front of me). I did this as much as possible without letting someone get inside of me and giving up my position, but it was hard to do. regardless, after about 5-10 minutes, I noticed the gauge going down, and down, and down, to 180. Then I noticed the engine start to miss. Then I noticed I was way down on power and had to go to the pits. The result? A heat exchanger that was mounted below the radiator had split along the welded seam. The water had all leaked out , and the lowered tempature was due to the motor being out of water. End result was a completely distroyed engine, I think we salvaged the crankshaft and rods out of the thing, and maybe the block. Price of engine? 20,000 dollars. You can bet I called the heat exchanger mfg the next monday morning. Unbelievably , he admitted that they had other customers with the same problem and were now plating the seam where they were failing. He promptly sent me out a brand new heat exchanger, value about $500. Did I ask for a new engine? nope, because I figured it was my own fault for continuing to drive the car, even though I THOUGHT it was actually coolling down. Should he have been responsible for my loss? I didnt think so, so I never pursued it, and were talking 20k, not 7k, and believe me, 20k is not easy to come by for me, especially back then.
So the moral of the story is , even though the guy made a good faith effort with the product, to the best of his knowledge, things sometimes happen that are unforseen. The difference being that while he saw a fault in his product, GATES does not. There is no mfg defect. If it was, I think everyone in this forum would be alot more sympathetic. This is a simple case of a nut backing off, not a known defect. I knew back then, racing in itself is not only dangerous, but parts can and do break. Its the nature of the beast. Heck, ive seen guys put chinese rods in their engines and blow up on the dyno (eagle rods=chinese junk steel). I dont see them asking eagle for a new engine when this happens, and thats on the dyno, before the thing ever makes it to the car to hit the road. Like I said earlier, I feel bad for him, but I cant expect Gates to buy him a new camera.
again, just my .02 cents...