Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Expected Nikon announcement October 15th

Started by loftus ·

  • 41Posts
  • 41Replies

Read-only discussion

Expected Nikon announcement October 15th

41 posts
  1. $5000 + for a 12 megapixel camera. This thing had better be able to shoot in total darkness ^_^ , and the pictures should look like they were taken in broad daylight. Otherwise, it seems rather high priced. I am sure the "pre-production" pictures will soon be posted.

  2. $5000 + for a 12 megapixel camera. This thing had better be able to shoot in total darkness ^_^ , and the pictures should look like they were taken in broad daylight. Otherwise, it seems rather high priced. I am sure the "pre-production" pictures will soon be posted.

    Looking at the specs, with high ISO capabilities, video with stills on the fly etc. This still appears to be the photojournalists camera of choice irrespective of MP, even if there's nothing new to excite underwater photographers.

  3. $5000 + for a 12 megapixel camera. This thing had better be able to shoot in total darkness ^_^ , and the pictures should look like they were taken in broad daylight. Otherwise, it seems rather high priced. I am sure the "pre-production" pictures will soon be posted.

     

    Looks like it will shoot in the dark. First impression of the D3s here: http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPage.html?page=870011

     

    ISO to 12800, with boost to 102,400. That's crazy!

  4. With this offering it looks to me as though Nikon are targeting the PJ market

    sector that it pretty much owns with the D3.

     

    Cost is less of an issue in this market.

     

    Makes sense as that is probably where the money is. Hopefully the low(er) noise hi ISO

    sensor technology will drift out into the pro-sumer range of offerings over time.

     

    Is this the end of the mp war?

    Is this the end of line for crop sensors?

     

    Next few years will be interesting.

     

    Paul C

    Edited by PRC
  5. new macro lens. Interesting.

     

    But where does it fit in ?

     

    DX lens, slower than both the 60 and 105, other than price what does it have?

     

    If I was buying glass I would want to buy full frame capable glass rather than be

    faced with having to maybe off load it all again in the future.

     

    Paul C

  6. The macro lens they should come back with is the 70-180 or something in that range ^_^

  7. Is it just me or is the D3s just unimpressive even from a PJ viewpoint? I mean even their lower end model has better HD video. I guess even though Nikon service outside the US is to me better than Canon (NPS vs CPS), there's no reason to switch to Nikon, even though for stills underwater, it is the slightly choice with the best compatibility for TTL and 2nd curtain etc.

  8. Is it just me or is the D3s just unimpressive even from a PJ viewpoint?

     

    Is the hi ISO performance that unimpressive ?

     

    Must admit it looked pretty good to me but what do I know.

     

    I thought that Hi ISO performance was a hot button for the PJ market.

     

    Paul C

  9. I think Nikon have definitely taken an already awesome PJ camera and made it better. The high ISO (6400 and 12800) images on the Nikon site look pretty impressive to me. It's clear that Nikon, have focused on creating the fastest, most functional camera for the PJ market. Their approach to how the video can be used with stills (despite only 720p) seems to support this as well. The new 70-200 VR first review I've seen is also very favorable, and would appear to complement the speed etc of the D3s. http://cliffmautner.typepad.com/my_weblog/...8g-ed-vrii.html

    Clearly Nikon are avoiding any move to slow the speed of this class of camera like higher MP, and the added functionality is useable without gimmickry.

    If I were a photojournalist I can't see how I'd consider anything else but a D3s, new 70-200 and a 24-70 in my bag, not to mention the amazing functionality, accuracy and ease of use of the CLS flash system.

    I think Nikon knows they can't compete with Canon in the MP race and probably in the video area as well, so they have focused on where they can.

    (Sounds like the Canon DSMkIV is around the corner, oh well....)

    Edited by loftus
  10. And now back to what we really all want, a D700x/D900. ^_^

  11. And now back to what we really all want, a D700x/D900.

     

    And I am sure that it will come eventually as the technology 'dribbles down', quite when is the question.

     

    It's ROI of course - and Nikon money is currently better spent on the PJ market that they currently 'own' and is wiling to pay good money.

     

    Paul C

  12. And now back to what we really all want, a D700x/D900. ^_^

     

    Nikon isn't interested in what we really want. Quit bothering them. Obviously if you didn't want 720p video and ISO 102,400 you aren't a real photographer.

     

    This camera will dominate the DSLR market with at least a 75% market share. Sell your Canon stock. It's over.

  13. Some pretty cool video on Nikon Rumors; particularly the first one. When video first came out on DSLR last year, this still / video integration was something I thought would be intriguing. Looks like this is something that is facilitated by the video functionality of the D3s.

  14. ISO equivalent of 102,400??

     

    Impressive results at 12000 ISO.

  15.  

    They should have introduced this lens back when the D2X was new!! ^_^ A bit late now. Nevertheless, if the AF is very fast it could be a very good lens for UWP for those with DX cams. Since it is a DX lens I suspect the lens elements are smaller than otherwise and therefore have less inertia enabling faster AF. We shall see. The MTF looks outstanding.

    Tom

  16. And now back to what we really all want, a D700x/D900. :uwphotog:

     

    The D800 name makes me increasingly worried it won't fit D700 housings. But then it might get a 100% viewfinder?

     

    Alex

  17. Ive held off on buying a D700+housing to see if Nikon would get their act together and come up with a 20+ mpixel D700 type SLR. It's starting to feel like vaporware :uwphotog:

  18. Ive held off on buying a D700+housing to see if Nikon would get their act together and come up with a 20+ mpixel D700 type SLR. It's starting to feel like vaporware :uwphotog:

     

    Still holding on to my D2x for the same reason Cor, do you have any news? :( I really like my D2x, but it is getting too big to carry around and I am getting old and tired!

    Edited by Rocha
Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.