On a recent trip to San Diego, my dive computer found it's way to the bottom and needing a replacement I would like to know which one(s) do you use/prefer.
- 25Posts
- 25Replies
Read-only discussion
which dive computer
-
-
On a recent trip to San Diego, my dive computer found it's way to the bottom and needing a replacement I would like to know which one(s) do you use/prefer.
I Just got one of these when my Suunto crapped out:
-
For me, its Suunto, Suunto and Suunto, unless I'm using laughing gas and then its a VR3. I travel with an air integrated D9 which is ideal. I leave a Stinger on the boat or use it in gauge if I'm tearing the arse out of my PP02 and need a dive timer as a 'get out of jail free' card. CJ totes a Stinger too. As second hand VR3s have become so cheap I'll probably get another one and then I won't have to carry tables...
-
For me, it's anything BUT Suunto.

Suunto is far too conservative for my tastes. Any computer can be adjusted to be MORE conservative, if you want, but you can't make a conservative computer more liberal, even if you want to. It's all about choice.
If you're not comfortable with how liberal the Oceanic or Uwatec computer is, simply raise the conservative level, and your dives can be just as short as they are with Suunto!
I prefer Oceanic and ScubaPro/Uwatec. Both are more liberal than Suunto. Oceanic is the most liberal, Uwatec is fairly middle-of-the-road. I personally dive Uwatec because I like their computers the best, but my second choice would be the Oceanic VT3.
-
Have a look at the Uwatec Luna. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and love it. Awesome thing. I keep expecting a button which tells me the time on Jupiter - and the screen is bigger than my TV. User changable battery, upgradeable firmware, easy to use dive log. Gets my vote.
-
Since I use my comp allso as an everyday wrist wach - suunto get's my wote

-
For me, it's anything BUT Suunto.

Suunto is far too conservative for my tastes. Any computer can be adjusted to be MORE conservative, if you want, but you can't make a conservative computer more liberal, even if you want to. It's all about choice.
If you're not comfortable with how liberal the Oceanic or Uwatec computer is, simply raise the conservative level, and your dives can be just as short as they are with Suunto!
I prefer Oceanic and ScubaPro/Uwatec. Both are more liberal than Suunto. Oceanic is the most liberal, Uwatec is fairly middle-of-the-road. I personally dive Uwatec because I like their computers the best, but my second choice would be the Oceanic VT3.
When you are a wine drinking, twice bent, old sot like me a nice conservative Suunto does the job just fine. In fact I setup my VR3 with 20%. Anything less and I'll need full board and lodgings at the London Recompression Chamber... -
Get something simple to use that does only what you need it to do - I've been asked a couple of times by divers with "sophisticated" computers why it won't stop beeping and shows "Err" on the screen after the dive.
I personally have two Suunto, the second being a wrist backup for the more remote trips.
-
In one month from now you will be able to see my latest side-by-side comparison of computer algorithms on www.divernet.com
-
Get something simple to use that does only what you need it to do - I've been asked a couple of times by divers with "sophisticated" computers why it won't stop beeping and shows "Err" on the screen after the dive.
I personally have two Suunto, the second being a wrist backup for the more remote trips.
Thanks for all that replied. I tend to be on the conservative side (paying for the sins of my youth) and I tend to dive with my wife so conservative is the preferred. I would love to wait to see what's new but we are going to Cozumel next month for scubafest and need one soon. That said I am leaning towards the Suunto with the Uwatec in the background to cause indecision.
-
I like Aeris/Oceanic. I go for user replacement of batteries and a liberal computer. You can always dive it conservatively. I like the hoseless design. Losing another hose was far more pleasant than I had expected.
-
I like Aeris/Oceanic. I go for user replacement of batteries and a liberal computer. You can always dive it conservatively. I like the hoseless design. Losing another hose was far more pleasant than I had expected.
You raise a good point, re conservative vs. liberal computers.
Who says you have to dive a liberal computer to the limit?
-
I have just given in to temptation and am getting an Oceanic OC1. It can be that "everyday watch" if you are so inclined. One thing that intrigued me was that it offers dual algorithms; one appears very similar to that of the Uwatec and one is traditional Pelagic. Both algorithms have conservative settings to make it more conservative.
I am hoping to post some impressions somewhere after I dive with it in a few weeks. My eyes aren't young, but I think it will be okay.
I don't want to wear my dive computer as a watch, except that I have come to the conclusion that I like to keep it on my wrist during surface intervals, at lunch between dives, on a boat or while driving from one shore dive site to another, and so on, and having something a little less bulky than a full size computer appeals to me for that reason. I may even elect to wear it as a watch on the plane on the way there and back, meaning no need for another "watch."
I am not a fan of Suunto for several reasons, but some people love them.
-
I use the Uwatec Aladin Tec 2g. Really great computer, even if you don't use two mixes.
The only down side is that the numbers are hard to see if you are using the protective shield. But you can easily remove it, I use the protective film that are made for the ipods and now I can clearly see the numbers.
-
One word of warning regarding "user replaceable" batteries: if you can, before you buy, download a manual and get a feel for exactly how 'replaceable' they really are.
I have the Oceanic Veo250 console-mount (also available as a puck on a wrist-strap) which supposedly has a 'user replaceable' battery...but the arrangement is nightmarishly difficult to get a good seal on it. As evidence: my wife also used to have one until I replaced the battery in it and made a nice toxic saltwater-and-battery-acid soup.
The back door is a 1/4 turn bayonet type 'locking ring' which needs a spanner, and that seals over a horrid dome-shaped actual rear door that has to be held on at very high pressure to 'force' the o-ring beneath it out to its edges and into the proper alignment, while getting the lock ring over it and quarter-turned. So you're trying to hold this back on at firm pressure with a lock ring over your thumb, then use the other hand to seat the lock ring, pick up the spanner, turn....etc. Unless you've got way more grip strength than I obviously do, it takes the right tools and a bench vice to "user replace" that battery arrangement. I now let the scuba shops do it when needed when my reg goes in for it's annual service...at least they'll be responsible if they flood it....
I don't mind non-user replaceable batteries on some of the newer wrist mounts in concept - especially those that have a full 'sleep' function and do go almost completely inactive (even display blanked) when not in use. My wife's Mares Nemo Sport doesn't go to sleep, but so far the battery has lasted 3 years (for our diving frequency, which is too little!) and isn't showing the low-battery indication yet.
p.s. I'd no longer recommend the Veo - besides the above - as it is an extremely liberal older algorithm...my wife is always having to surface or at least flatten out a bit higher far faster than I to meet her requirements, and I'm the more overweight, faster air-sucker who is presumably at higher risk. It doesn't seem to have extra conservatism settings either...I think I'm still unbent in part because I suck thru air fast enough to rarely be deco vs. tank-limited on my dives.

-
I just picked up a HelO2 and transmitter. As a long time Suunto user (Stinger and D9) it was very easy to setup and to understand. So easy it was almost an anticlimax. Yup, it does what it says on the tin and I'm looking forward to taking a dip (maybe NDAC on Friday) to check its algorythm against my VR3. And V Planner and Z Planner are history now I have the new Suunto software.
-
p.s. I'd no longer recommend an extremely liberal older wife... always having to flatten out a bit far... to meet her requirements, and I'm the more overweight, faster sucker. I think I suck

Its amazing what a little cutting can do...
If I make the TX FG trip with you now...I will have to watch out, someone might turn off my air hose in mid-dive.

-
Its amazing what a little cutting can do...
If I make the TX FG trip with you now...I will have to watch out, someone might turn off my air hose in mid-dive.

Heh, s'okay. All's fair on "teh internets". After all, it's just a series of tubes.
I would love the chance to dive FG with you. My wife is "over" the FG; our vacation on the Juliet (105' long, 5 crew, 12 passengers) has ruined her for 20-30 on a boat. (sigh) I promise I'll stay away from your air lines. But I might try to steal your camera.

-
I just picked up a HelO2 and transmitter. As a long time Suunto user (Stinger and D9) it was very easy to setup and to understand. So easy it was almost an anticlimax. Yup, it does what it says on the tin and I'm looking forward to taking a dip (maybe NDAC on Friday) to check its algorythm against my VR3. And V Planner and Z Planner are history now I have the new Suunto software.
Tim let me know your findings,
I dive with a VR3 for everthing air, EANX, Devil Gas and as a back-up for my Inspiration Vision. I have a stinger for gauge mode and warm water holiday dives, but am looking to find a back-up for the VR3 that's close to its algorythm. I'd like to know if the HelO2 is the kiddie.
I always Dive conservatively now, a number of years of tri-mix diving in the English Channel saw me always first out of the water using a Buddy Nexus, I was also first in our group to get a Helicopter ride to Poole Recompression unit and first to get my £1000 DUI CF200 cut off me on the trip there.
Now I'm last to get out of the water (gas permitting), I'd rather stay another 15 minutes at 6 metres knowing I'm going to keep my suit in one piece and not be three days late getting home.
I was involved with Diver Mags John Bantin as his safety diver and photog doing the Computer Comparrison last month and really had my eyes opened, it makes fascinating reading and should help anyone thinking of making a computer purchase. (unfortunately the Suunto HelO2 wasn't in the line up)
There's a bewildering choice of computers out there.
Get as much information as you can before making a decision, it might just save you a drysuit.
Nige Wade
-
For me, it's anything BUT Suunto.

Suunto is far too conservative for my tastes. Any computer can be adjusted to be MORE conservative, if you want, but you can't make a conservative computer more liberal, even if you want to. It's all about choice.
If you're not comfortable with how liberal the Oceanic or Uwatec computer is, simply raise the conservative level, and your dives can be just as short as they are with Suunto!
I prefer Oceanic and ScubaPro/Uwatec. Both are more liberal than Suunto. Oceanic is the most liberal, Uwatec is fairly middle-of-the-road. I personally dive Uwatec because I like their computers the best, but my second choice would be the Oceanic VT3.
I've been diving with Aladin Pro for years. It was the best computer in my opinion.
Liberal enough to allow me to do 2 to 4 dives a day, including emergency ascent with students, etc... I am diving in med sea, where we usually practice deep diving on air. I know it's stupid, but one day the worst happened.
Since that day i have a bubble in my shoulder.
I continued to dive with my Aladin, and every dive with heavy decompression stops, I could feel the pain in my shoulder.
Now I am using Suunto, it is too much conservative, but I feel better. Longer deco stops, but who cares, safety first.
Damien