I have a piece of dust on the D100's low-pass filter (it appears on images in the middle, just a bit below the top of the frame). It's removable from images by using the Clone Stamp, but I really want it out of there. I just ordered an EH-5 AC adapter that the manual says you need to clean the filter. Does anyone have any experience doing this? The instructions sound fairly simple, but I'd really like to hear from someone who has done this. The EH-5 should be here in 3 days, and I'll be using the D100 next week on a land trip, so I would welcome any timely advice.
Thanks,
Jim
Hey Jim - Nice to hear you are having so much fun with your new digital system. Well ... not cleaning the sensor ... that part's not fun, but the rest of it.
for some good information on a task we all have to endure. So far.
Steve
Jim,
I had the same problem with my S2. I read the play by play instructions in Thom Hogan's book but it made me nervous. I ended up taking it to a local Fuji authorized repair center and they charged me $30 to do a complete cleaning. I might have tried it on my own if I wasn't leaving on a trip in 2 weeks.
Good Luck!!!
John
I have cleaned the sensor on my S2. I just followed the procedure in the instruction manual.
The D100 is a bit tougher because there is a "lip" around the filter so that you can't get one long swipe across there. Nevertheless, it's "do-able."
Note that you aren't supposed to touch the sensor, but this seems to be the only way to get one clean.
I send in my 1Ds last week for sensor cleaning, and they broke the rear quick-mode dial, so I had to send the thing back. Not the most ideal outcome of a routine sensor cleaning by the factory.
Hey Jim - Nice to hear you are having so much fun with your new digital system. Well ... not cleaning the sensor ...
Stephen - Thanks a million for the help! Hope you and Barb and Alexa are doing okay. Deborah and I really miss seeing you guys at Nikonos Shootouts - long gone but not forgotten - and diving with you.
Thanks for all the responses. I was scared to death to try this, but I feel a lot more confidant now.
Jim
Crap, I misspelled "confident."
My sincerest apologies.
Jim (known to family and friends as The Grammar Nazi)
Which may explain why I don't have a lot of friends now... :angryfire:
Hi Jimbo,
Rest easy friend. See that button that says "Edit" above your post?" Click on it!
Cheers
James
Americanz spell most thingz wrong
At least we know how to spell color.
Very important for photography.
Cheers
James
At least we know how to spell color.
So, James, what colour are you when you have anaemia due to haemorrhage of the oesophagus.
(I can hear you saying "WhatEVER :freak: )
B)
Found this on a friend's site:
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Tnahks Eirc!
Your friend evidently studied veterinary medicine at Texas A&M, I recognise the style...
Rest easy friend. See that button that says "Edit" above your post?" Click on it!
Bless you James, I owe you a beer! I never noticed the Edit button before.
At least we know how to spell color.
Very important for photography.
The score is now 1 to 0 in favor of the (former) colonials.
Ha Ha James, Sorry but both of those abilities hadn't come across!
I think when the colonies split spelling and use of the English language went down the 'John'. As far as colour goes - We had it first, whereas you only took part of the spectrum and why Photoshop was invented for your semi-colour blindness! The American language (borrowed) was reconfigured using an incomplete Scrabble set; 1 S, no U's and 15 Z's!
To get back to the original thread... I took this picture of a colony (Montastrea) underwater in a Crown Colony (G Cayman) last night with my D100 (in an Aluminium housing) and imagine my shock when I discovered that although the colours are fine there are loads of white dots on the sensor...
Alex
You're back in the Caymans again Alex? No bloody fair!
OK, so please document your spawning here - the NOAA folks are interested. What corals spawned at what time on what day. I'm assuming it was the night of the 16th.
I'm headed out to the Flower Gardens this weekend and we are hoping for some spawning activity as well, although I will be bummed out if they already did it on the 16th.
Cheers
James
Hi James,
Still mid-observation period but I will post the full results to coral list. Will send you a private email on the timings.