Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

My new SLR set up, Nikon D90, Aquatica and Inon Z240's

Started by Scubysnaps ·

  • 40Posts
  • 40Replies

Read-only discussion

My new SLR set up, Nikon D90, Aquatica and Inon Z240's

40 posts
  1. Well, there you go enough said :lol:

     

    or is it , dont think so, not doing a speech or anything, but it has to be said, a BIG thank you to Jean of Aquatica and Dave of Backscatter for supporting me throughout the sale, theyve been more than helpful, also thanks so much to Yuzo of UWdigitalcamera for helping me out last minute with the Z240's fantastically, very fast and friendly service.

     

    Yesterday I converted a small built in wardrobe into a underwater photo studio booth, I even got a spotlight wired up in there and a bespoke desk with shelves, and somewhere to pin all my photos up...photos to come!! I've also had an SLR course last Friday and part 2 to go in one month to gear me up a bit..with goingdigital (very good VFM)!

     

    I got the housing last Thursday and only tonight have I got it all together and fully working, then a quick dip to test the housing, and everythings A ok!!

     

    Tomorrow night its pool practise!!!! Then Visons, then Portland, then Martin Edge, then...Manado..here we come!!!

     

    Not forgetting of course! Thanks also all who helped me here to make me switch to dSLR, its a big step for me, never knew I'd ever get here, and not forgetting Mr Edge who helped me to go Nikon. Oh and of course to everyone who bought my old kit, its all gone now!!!

     

    Cheers

    Woody :) :) :) :)

     

    PS good job I've got a left eye too! never thought of using that one :blink:

    no I've not been drinking I'm just dead happy!!!!

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  2. Nice one Paul. I hope your new system brings you great success. See you next week at Visions. Tim and CJ.

  3. That rig is gonna be fun in the Maldives next yr...

    I am certain you cannot wait.. as if you could before...

  4. Again...you're ahead of me...LOL. I tried putting everything together today. It was an experience for sure, and I have a few assembly and operation questions, too make sure I'm not royally screwing up.

     

    1. Attaching the extension and port - Basically the instructions I received said too line up the 4 tabs, and evenly press down till I felt the O-ring "pop" down, after that turn clockwise while holding the housing port remove button down. I think I got it..... but at $1000 for the cam, I'd like too be a lil more confident. I will test it...sans cam of course. It's just a huge difference from my compact...LOL.

     

     

    2. Dome shade - it fits on fairly snug, is there any need to tighten the screws? Just on, it "Seems" like it wouldn't go anywhere :blink:

     

     

    3. Flash settings - I've read the D90 manual a bit, but can't get my strobes too work. With my compact, I just set the "forced flash" setting. What settings with the D90 do you use? Also, is the internal flash supposed to pop up with the strobes connected too the hot shoe? I remember you mentioning "Commander" mode, and I see that associated with the flash settings.

     

    4. Gears - I understand the gears needed for the zoom on the tokina, but with the 60mm micro whats the purpose? Just to have the ability to Manual focus?

     

    Thanks!!

     

    Greg

    Edited by sideways
  5. 1. Attaching the extension and port - Basically the instructions I received said too line up the 4 tabs, and evenly press down till I felt the O-ring "pop" down, after that turn clockwise while holding the housing port remove button down. I think I got it..... but at $1000 for the cam, I'd like too be a lil more confident. I will test it...sans cam of course. It's just a huge difference from my compact...LOL.

     

     

    2. Dome shade - it fits on fairly snug, is there any need to tighten the screws? Just on, it "Seems" like it wouldn't go anywhere :blink:

     

     

    3. Flash settings - I've read the D90 manual a bit, but can't get my strobes too work. With my compact, I just set the "forced flash" setting. What settings with the D90 do you use? Also, is the internal flash supposed to pop up with the strobes connected too the hot shoe? I remember you mentioning "Commander" mode, and I see that associated with the flash settings.

     

    4. Gears - I understand the gears needed for the zoom on the tokina, but with the 60mm micro whats the purpose? Just to have the ability to Manual focus?

     

    Seeing as I'm, ahead of you, I''ll do my best!

     

    1. Once you've turned the macro port/extension ring as far as you can press the button down then turn it again, it will go further, when it stops, release the button and the macro port/extension ring will turn left to right very slightly but no more. The I add the dome port on top and just twist all the way home.

     

    2 I would strill turn all the screws a bit until you hear them contact, I guess it could get looser once in the water, mine still needs adjusting a bot to be perfectly in line with the dome.

     

    3. No the lfash doesnt pop up once the hot shoe is in contact. Have you tied the flash on? If not just try it as it is, if it doesnt work go to menu, "e", select M not TTL on the built in flash menu, ignore the commander option. Also select manual on the strobes

     

    4. Yes for manual focus using the knob on the macro port, everytime I have tried usung it maunally the auto over rides my focus adjustment, I need to look at this as I thought the Manuall focus over rides the auto?

     

    Good luck!

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  6. That rig is gonna be fun in the Maldives next yr...

     

    Indeed it will be! You coming!?

     

    Another good thing about buying from the states is that I can have after sales service "on tap" in the evenings while I';m trying to set it up :blink: They've been very patient with me! Customs tax etc on top of their prices in total was about 20% max, so still a huge saving on UK prices

  7. Seeing as I'm, ahead of you, I''ll do my best!

     

    1. Once you've turned the macro port/extension ring as far as you can press the button down then turn it again, it will go further, when it stops, release the button and the macro port/extension ring will turn left to right very slightly but no more. The I add the dome port on top and just twist all the way home.

     

    2 I would strill turn all the screws a bit until you hear them contact, I guess it could get looser once in the water, mine still needs adjusting a bot to be perfectly in line with the dome.

     

    3. No the lfash doesnt pop up once the hot shoe is in contact. Have you tied the flash on? If not just try it as it is, if it doesnt work go to menu, "e", select M not TTL on the built in flash menu, ignore the commander option. Also select manual on the strobes

     

    4. Yes for manual focus using the knob on the macro port, everytime I have tried usung it maunally the auto over rides my focus adjustment, I need to look at this as I thought the Manuall focus over rides the auto?

     

    Good luck!

     

     

    Look like Scubysnaps has got it on the spot, yo dude, you after my job or what! :blink:

     

    Just a note on flash operation, many a folks confuse TTL compliant with meaning it has a built in TTL converter, the Aquatica D90 has a small internal switch array that when positionned in the up position will allow a strobe connected to a TTL converter or a housed iTTL Nikon flash to be used in TTL, when using the strobes without a converter, these same switches should be in the down position and the strobes should be set up for manual operation.

     

    If the flash pop's up its because you are in one of the programmed auto mode, in underwater photography the manual mode is the one mostly used, and it can never be said enough that the faster one learn how to operate the camera in manual, the faster one will get sucessfull images.

  8. Look like Scubysnaps has got it on the spot, yo dude, you after my job or what! :lol:

     

    Moi!? :blink:

     

    :)

  9. Look like Scubysnaps has got it on the spot, yo dude, you after my job or what! :blink:

     

    Just a note on flash operation, many a folks confuse TTL compliant with meaning it has a built in TTL converter, the Aquatica D90 has a small internal switch array that when positionned in the up position will allow a strobe connected to a TTL converter or a housed iTTL Nikon flash to be used in TTL, when using the strobes without a converter, these same switches should be in the down position and the strobes should be set up for manual operation.

     

    If the flash pop's up its because you are in one of the programmed auto mode, in underwater photography the manual mode is the one mostly used, and it can never be said enough that the faster one learn how to operate the camera in manual, the faster one will get sucessfull images.

     

    Mine probably popped up when I switched into auto Jean. I initially tried manual, and thats how I shoot, but after no strobe results, I tried changing settings to see if anything would get a result :lol: My problem, I guess... is figuring out EXACTLY what D90 menu settings for flash I need to change to get it to manual. All my circuit board switches are in the "Down" manual position.

     

    Thanks Jean! Great Housing by the way..

     

    Greg

    Edited by sideways
  10. Thanks Jean! Great Housing by the way..

     

    Hear hear :blink:

  11. Greg If I recall correctly, the YS 110 has a slave setting and when this is engaged it prevent the flash from triggering via the sync cord, it might be the reason your strobe are not triggering.

     

    Normally just setting the camera on M and focusing on the subject is all you need to get the strobe to fire.

  12. Greg If I recall correctly, the YS 110 has a slave setting and when this is engaged it prevent the flash from triggering via the sync cord, it might be the reason your strobe are not triggering.

     

    Normally just setting the camera on M and focusing on the subject is all you need to get the strobe to fire.

     

    I'll try again tonight when I get home Jean. I did change that setting, trying it both ways with no result. So, if I understand you correctly, just putting the cam in Manual on the program mode dial, and focusing, it should fire? If so...then I'm deffinatly at a loss.

     

    Thanks Jean.

     

    Greg

  13. I'll try again tonight when I get home Jean. I did change that setting, trying it both ways with no result. So, if I understand you correctly, just putting the cam in Manual on the program mode dial, and focusing, it should fire? If so...then I'm deffinatly at a loss.

     

    Thanks Jean.

     

    Greg

     

    Greg, As you are not optical like me, I had to put a slave sensor cap on my z240's to hide the sensor from any light, do you have the same type of thing on yours?

  14. I'm off to Florida for the DEMA show but will monitor this thread as much as I can, worst case scenario is i'm back next monday, just checking but have you installed the hot shoe according to the instruction manual (wire harness coming out in front of camera, not from the back of it), we really should have an arrow painted on the top of the hot shoe, (mental note, things to do: put arrow on hot shoe :blink: ) it would help aleviate this. Usually the said manual is tucked in a far away place when needed, and little things like that can give you an ulcer if you don't pin point them.

     

    Also make sure your integrated flash is down, else the strobes will not fire.

  15. I'm off to Florida for the DEMA show but will monitor this thread as much as I can, worst case scenario is i'm back next monday, just checking but have you installed the hot shoe according to the instruction manual (wire harness coming out in front of camera, not from the back of it), we really should have an arrow painted on the top of the hot shoe, (mental note, things to do: put arrow on hot shoe :lol: ) it would help aleviate this. Usually the said manual is tucked in a far away place when needed, and little things like that can give you an ulcer if you don't pin point them.

     

    Also make sure your integrated flash is down, else the strobes will not fire.

     

    umm.... so the wire attached to the hot shoe piece that slides in to the camera, should be at the front of the camera (lens under the wire) :blink:

  16. it sounds like youve got it right greg, just make sure the brass connectors line up before u slide it on..dont know about the lens under the wire tho??? its on top of the flash, with the black rubber piece removed and the wired connector going in its place

  17. it sounds like youve got it right greg, just make sure the brass connectors line up before u slide it on..dont know about the lens under the wire tho??? its on top of the flash, with the black rubber piece removed and the wired connector going in its place
    The way I had it was the wire was at the rear of the camera shoe, the rear being above the LCD.. the back of the Cam. Right? Wrong? Am I that dense??... :blink:
    Edited by sideways
  18. Indeed it will be! You coming!?

     

    Another good thing about buying from the states is that I can have after sales service "on tap" in the evenings while I';m trying to set it up :blink: They've been very patient with me! Customs tax etc on top of their prices in total was about 20% max, so still a huge saving on UK prices

     

    I would very much like to come there with you next summer. I have that time open and am looking for a place to go and searching for a dive partner. I have more time off than wife so I can get in an extra trip.

    Your trip next summer looks a bit higher in price than I am willing to go.

    Thinking of Wananavu in Fiji. Diving is supposed to be great, I love the people of Fiji based on past trip and the resort including food, taxes and diving is about $1800-2000 for a week.

     

    When looking at UK prices in magazines, I am amazed they sell anything that could be shipped in from overseas. Seems the numbers printed are the same digits as in the US but our prices are in dollars and your prices are in pounds... YIKES!

  19. Hi Dave, looks ike we're starting our own D90 club here :blink:

    You're more than welcome to join us, Fiji's supposed to be awesome too, but VERY far to go for me, and I know this is what Lisa wants for her 40th (and me too!), if you decide to come let me know :lol: I need a good buddy with a camera! Not sure of course but from the states you may find that you could book it all without going thru an agency, it could be a cheaper way?...down side tho, your wife might not be too happy if you're going to the Maldives without her!

     

    Cheers

    Woody :)

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  20. The way I had it was the wire was at the rear of the camera shoe, the rear being above the LCD.. the back of the Cam. Right? Wrong? Am I that dense??... :blink:

     

    Always double check your brass contacts Greg before you join them up :lol: SO are your flashes working now!?

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.