Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Red Sea in HD - dreaming of warm water!!!

Started by Jo Horrocks ·

  • 35Posts
  • 35Replies

Read-only discussion

Red Sea in HD - dreaming of warm water!!!

35 posts
  1. Probably Jo. But his next adventure after the 'north' will be the Mantas of the Maldives...

    Wow, he's a lucky lad. Still haven't made it to the Maldives yet, but it's on a long list!!!

  2. Thinking of going to the Maldives in Oct. Is that a good time for that destination?

    Steve

  3. Thanks Jo for a great video - it brought back many wonderful memories from when I spent six years diveguiding out there in the early nineties.

  4. Thinking of going to the Maldives in Oct. Is that a good time for that destination?

    Steve

     

    Haven't been myself yet Steve, but found this for you "The climate of Maldives is tropical – hot, humid and dry. The islands get rain from July to August due to southwest monsoon and from November to March due to northeast monsoon. December to April is the best time to visit Maldives." But then again, I was at BSoUP (British Society of Underwater Photographers) last night and Alex Mustard mention that the August full moon is good for large congregations of Mantas over there.

     

    It's probably worth opening up a new topic, as I'm sure there are loads of people that can help and advise about this.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Jo

  5. Thanks Jo for a great video - it brought back many wonderful memories from when I spent six years diveguiding out there in the early nineties.

     

    Thanks Red Sea Diver. It's definitely a place you can go to again and again and still see different things every time. I bet you saw some great stuff over the 6 years you were there.

     

    See ya,

     

    Jo

  6. Hi Jo,

     

    I know I commented on the video via Photosub email, but thought I would support you here too. Great video, as Wendy & I were there at the same time, albeit on another boat, it brought back some lovely memories. We have signed up with Ken for the same time next year. Those big shoals are wonderful, add the clarity of the water (and its warmth) and who could ask for anything better. It astonishes me that thousands of divers visit Rasmo each year, yet it is still one of the best diving areas West of Singapore. We rate it better than the Maldives, and a lot cheaper :(

     

    Have a great Christmas and see you both in the New Year :D:D

     

    Roger

  7. Hi Jo,

     

    I know I commented on the video via Photosub email, but thought I would support you here too. Great video, as Wendy & I were there at the same time, albeit on another boat, it brought back some lovely memories. We have signed up with Ken for the same time next year. Those big shoals are wonderful, add the clarity of the water (and its warmth) and who could ask for anything better. It astonishes me that thousands of divers visit Rasmo each year, yet it is still one of the best diving areas West of Singapore. We rate it better than the Maldives, and a lot cheaper ;)

     

    Have a great Christmas and see you both in the New Year :lol::D

     

    Roger

     

    Hiya Roger,

     

    Thanks for your kind words. Yeah, we're out on Jan's trip at the same time next year. If we park next to each other again, I'll swim over and see what life's like on your boat!!!

     

    So when do we get to see a little snippit of what you took? Would love to see a taster.

     

    Hope you and Wendy have a great Christmas and New Year and we'll see you at Photosub in January (at Maria's) or Feb for the meal.

     

    Take care,

     

    Jo

     

    xx

  8. Thanks Red Sea Diver. It's definitely a place you can go to again and again and still see different things every time. I bet you saw some great stuff over the 6 years you were there.

     

    See ya,

     

    Jo

    It was a different time back then - a lot less boats and divers so it was pretty normal to have most dive sites to ourselves - even at places like Abu Nuhas or Thistlegorm.

  9. It was a different time back then - a lot less boats and divers so it was pretty normal to have most dive sites to ourselves

    It still happens if you get a good skipper on your liveaboard. We had two dives on Shark Reef in June with huge shoals of snappers and unicornfish, no current and no other divers, plus a night dive on the Thislegorm by ourselves - great stuff.

  10. So when do we get to see a little snippit of what you took? Would love to see a taster.

    I will see what I can do. I have edited a short HD video of the "Lonely Mushroom" from the June trip which might be suitable for uploading

     

    Cheers

     

    Roger

  11. I will see what I can do. I have edited a short HD video of the "Lonely Mushroom" from the June trip which might be suitable for uploading

     

    Cheers

     

    Roger

    Excellent, I'll keep an eye out for it. Can you drop me an email when you've posted it, so that I don't miss it.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Jo

  12. Hi everyone,

     

    Just finished putting together a few minutes from a trip to Ras Mohammed and Tiran from June this year, so thought I'd share it with you and see what you think.

     

    It's in HD, so as us Brits would say, it's probably worth making a cuppa whilst it's loading. :)

     

    Hope you enjoy,

     

    Ta ta for now,

     

    Jo

     

     

    PS. If I've messed up with embedding the video (sorry, haven't embedded stuff before!!) here's the link

     

     

    Very nice work Jo !What video camera do you have ?

  13. Very nice work Jo !What video camera do you have ?

     

    Thanks Trimixdiver. I was using a Sony HC1 in an Aditech Mangrove housing.

     

    I've since upgraded to the Sony XR520 and the guys at Aditech managed to adapt the same housing to work with the new camera for me, so that saved me a few quid!!!

     

    I'm working on some footage from the UK and The Brothers, so will post a few minutes worth when I've sorted it out.

     

    Happy New Year to everyone for tomorrow.

     

    Jo

  14. Haven't been myself yet Steve, but found this for you "The climate of Maldives is tropical – hot, humid and dry. The islands get rain from July to August due to southwest monsoon and from November to March due to northeast monsoon. December to April is the best time to visit Maldives." But then again, I was at BSoUP (British Society of Underwater Photographers) last night and Alex Mustard mention that the August full moon is good for large congregations of Mantas over there.

     

    It's probably worth opening up a new topic, as I'm sure there are loads of people that can help and advise about this.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Jo

     

    I just returned from the Maldives two weeks ago (I might have stayed forever, though!). October is definitely not a good time to go. In fact, the season just starts end of November. Best time is February, I checked with several locals. We did get a lot of rain and had several cloudy days, so light for filming was no good. Worst of all was the masses of suspension, which coupled with the incredibly strong currents typical of the Maldives, makes a poor scenario for filming.

     

    Be sure to take a reef hook along with you if you want to film sharks. The strength of the currents there is just incredible.

  15. Hello Jo

    Nice work. Wonderful colors in these blue clear water.

    Well done.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.