Those interested in this technique should also check out Eric's recent shots using the INON Endoscope lens on the current Wetpixel trip in the Eastern Fields.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/echeng/4156481487/
Alex
Edit:
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Started by Alex_Mustard ·
Read-only discussion
Those interested in this technique should also check out Eric's recent shots using the INON Endoscope lens on the current Wetpixel trip in the Eastern Fields.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/echeng/4156481487/
Alex
Edit:
Those interested in this technique should also check out Eric's recent shots using the INON Endoscope lens on the current Wetpixel trip in the Eastern Fields.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/echeng/4156481487/
Alex
In particular, the shot with the coral hermit crabs is good example. Those crabs are teeny-tiny!
Those interested in this technique should also check out Eric's recent shots using the INON Endoscope lens on the current Wetpixel trip in the Eastern Fields.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/echeng/4156481487/
Alex
How this thing works? Is there any way to fit that on an Aquatica D3 housing?
Thanks
Marcelo Krause
www.marcelokrause.com
A couple of weeks ago I got one of those lenses (Inon UFL-MR130) and thanks to an adaptor port made by Jose Sanchez (www.sagadive.com) I was able to use it with my Hugyfot housing.
I summarize certain operational aspects of this lens:
- It is designed to be used with Canon APS-C and 60 mm Canon EF-S. With SAGA we have tried to use it with Nikon cameras and multiple lenses without satisfactory results, but we are still trying.
- This is not a wet-lens, so it is not possible to remove it underwater. It is also necessary to use a specific port that aligns it with the 60 mm lens.
- Need to focus manually.
- Contrary to what might seem the focus is very critical.
- For maximum quality and depth of field you have to shoot between f/22 and f/32.
- We need to get too close to photograph the subject: between 1 and 4 cm (approx)
The best: it takes a lot of fun and let you shoot in previously unthinkable way .
I have done a couple of dives with it. I've posted a small gallery on my website that I will update as I'll take more pictures.
www.uwaterphoto.com/galeria.php?op=8
I attach some samples
Those are really awesome. Obviously it is a special effect lens - not to be over used, but great when it comes together. The depth of field is impressive too.
Thanks for posting, Jordi.
Alex
A couple of weeks ago I got one of those lenses (Inon UFL-MR130) and thanks to a port adaptor made by Jose Sanchez (www.sagadive.com) I was able to use it with my Hugyfot and S&S housings.
I summarize certain operational aspects of this lens:
- It is designed to be used with Canon APS-C and 60 mm Canon EF-S. With SAGA we have tried to use it with Nikon cameras and multiple lenses without satisfactory results, but we are still trying.
- This is not a wet-lens, so it is not possible to remove it underwater. It is also necessary to use a specific port that aligns it with the 60 mm lens.
- Need to focus manually.
- Contrary to what might seem the focus is very critical.
- For maximum quality and depth of field you have to shoot between f/22 and f/32.
- We need to get too close to photograph the subject: between 1 and 4 cm (approx)
The best: it takes a lot of fun and allows to photograph in a previously unthinkable way.
I have done a couple of dives with it. I've posted a small gallery on my website that I will update as I'll take more pictures.
www.uwaterphoto.com/galeria.php?op=8
I attach some samples
Thanks for the info. I have been curious about this lens since it was reported here from DEMA2008. We are finally getting to see some results.
The application I had in mind is to shoot developing salmon eggs in a stream - got me to use the 105 instead! A wide-angle perspective would be quite different, however. It would be too bad if it could not be adapted to a 60 Micro-Nikkor; there are now even two 60 micros to chose from!
The fact that one has to use small apertures is not too surprising and suggests that resolving power will be limited. A bit like the trade-off one gets using a microscope. I am curious to see blow-ups of crops to see how sharp they are (without artificial sharpening such as USM).
Wow Jordi wonderfull shots ![]()
I guess there is nothing like that for the 100mm on ikelite ?
How hard is it to take photo with this long thing in from of the housing?
A couple of weeks ago I got one of those lenses (Inon UFL-MR130) and thanks to a port adaptor made by Jose Sanchez (www.sagadive.com) I was able to use it with my Hugyfot and S&S housings.
Which camera?
I did a dive with Eric's 50D and the UFL-MR130 (we dubbed it Pinocchio), and it was fascinating to use. But the 50D was quite noisy, and since you need to use f22+ you're easily getting into the higher ISO ranges.
It is really exciting to see these new images people are producing with the INON lens. It looks like a must-have accessory.
What really amazes me is the depth of field is very good considering the close focus. The corners look a bit naughty on some shots, but optically it looks very impressive from what can be seen in the low rez images.
The long lens makes lighting really easy - giving excellent quality of light for , although I imagine it makes it problematic getting the angles you want when the subject is on the seabed. Much easier if the subject is on a rock or wall.
Alex
Now all we need is for this lens to work on a Nikon 60mm, and on other housings. I'd buy one immediately if i could use it on my system. I dont really want to take a dedicated system for this like Eric did.
I split the topic as this lens deserves its own thread.
Cor, just switch to Canon 7D and you'll have resolution AND the 60mm ![]()
I really like the lens but not sure I want to go to APS-C just for macro. I suppose a 4 lens 7D setup (IF there are adapters for the Inon lens) would be fine. 10-17, 17-70, 60, 100. Damn! it'll actually be cheaper than buying 2 5D2.
Conjecture from the trip: it should be a FoV and spacing issue, and should work with a 100mm macro on FF, with just the slightest loss of coverage (100mm FoV versus the 96mm equivalent for the EF-S 60mm that the UFL-MR30 is matched to).
I imagine Nikon users will lose more coverage - their only comparable FF lens is a 105mm?
Hey guys. I just posted a bunch of photos at the Eastern Fields trip report:
http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33777
It should be obvious which ones were taken with the INON setup. ![]()
Here's me, diving the Pinnochio in PNG a couple of weeks ago:
![]()
Photo: Frank Baensch
Might as well post some of the shots I posted on flickr (+1):
An alien cell: the inside of a tunicate, taken with the INON Underwater Micro Semi-Fisheye Relay Lens UFL-MR130 EFS60. I call this new lens the "insect eye lens." It allows for wide-angle macro shots (WAM) focused right up to the front element of the lens. Eastern Fields, Papua New Guinea. echeng091126_0241533
A squat lobster (Lauriea siagiani) in a barrel sponge (Xestospongia sp.). Eastern Fields, Papua New Guinea. Image taken with Canon 50D, Canon EF-S 60mm macro lens, INON X-2 underwater housing, INON underwater micro semi-fisheye relay lens UFL-MR130 EFS60, dual INON S2000 strobes.
Coral hermit crabs (Paguritta harmsi) in their little coral den. In this photo, the hole the hermit crabs live in is less than 1cm wide. Ashmore Atoll, Australia. echeng091128_0242484
A commensal goby in a soft coral (Nepthea sp.) forest. Ashmore Atoll, Australia.
Leaf scorpionfish (Taenianotus triacanthus) in a soft coral (Nepthea sp.). Picasso Passage, Ashmore Atoll, Australia.
A large frogfish in the Eastern Fields, Papua New Guinea. echeng091210_0245471
A skeleton shrimp (Caprella sp.) on a Gorgonian. There were tens of thousands -- or more -- of these guys on this particular gorgonian. Eastern Fields, Papua New Guinea. echeng091213_0246220

Mushroom leather coral (Sarcophyton sp.) and sunball abstract. Taken in Ashmore Atoll, Australia on December 1, 2009. echeng091201_0243422
Those are really awesome. Obviously it is a special effect lens - not to be over used, but great when it comes together. The depth of field is impressive too.
Thanks for posting, Jordi.
Alex
You are right Alex!! In my opinion, the lens is a special effect lens for special applications.
For example the depth of field is not as big as it seems. I'll try to post some crops. Focusing is quite critical!
Sharpness is not as good as a fisheye lens for example. The final image is softer than any normal lens. I've shot at 200 iso in shallow water (without any noise) and when you crop any detail to 100%, it is obvious that is not sharp enough, but anyway the lens is worthy for special applications. From my short experience the focus is better in the center than in the corners.
I've used a Canon 50D and I tried it with an hugyfot housing and S&S housing with special SAGA port.
I've tried to use it with the 105Vr+ d300 and the focusing is more critical because of the smaller depth of field. I am not sure if 100mm or 105 mm will have some vignetting in full frame cameras.
I've tried with the Nikon 60 mm AF-S and there was a lot of vignetting.
I attach one of the sharpest images that I've got with some crops.
Great info, Jordi. OK it is not super sharp, but sharp enough in the centre of the frame for many uses - after all the unusual look of the image will be its selling point, rather than ultimate image quality.
I really like the way Eric used it to get inside coral heads, leather corals, anemones etc. Getting the lens into places could not get a camera.
I think that Inon will sell bucket loads of these. I'd like one and I don't even have a camera that can take it!
Alex
wonder if you could get a small ring flash to fit on the end of it? ![]()
A friend of mine is also having fun with it over the past few months. He did say that autofocus seems to work quite well for him though.
The tube is a good 18-20 inches long if I remember correctly. I could see places like Lembeh would be incredible for this type of setup.
I'll have mine coming in January (hopefully)!
... can't wait to try it out.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.