Nathan, do a search of the forums. There have been quite a few posts with image samples from the lens, esp Eric's Ambon trip.
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
INON UFL-MR130 EFS60 Underwater Micro Semi-Fisheye Relay Lens in Action!
Started by Alex_Mustard ·
- 77Posts
- 77Replies
Read-only discussion
INON UFL-MR130 EFS60 Underwater Micro Semi-Fisheye Relay Lens in Action!
-
-
I've been using this lens quite a bit, and I like it very much. It's not easy to find subjects that let you get close enough to get the right effect. The micro fisheye effect is only good at very close distance, between 0 and 20 mm. You can see a sample image in the Maldives feature of last Sport Diver mag, a shot of a crinoid.
When you find a helpful subject it's very fun to use.
-
Are they any updates from people using this lens? I have been on the verge of buying one, but I had no dive trips planned so there wasn't much motivation to seal the deal. That will change soon. I would probably get the Nauticam housing and Canon 7D. Let me know if anybody has more experience with it.
Those are my works that recently was taken in Anilao. I have enjoyed much with this relay lens. In my opinion , to get proper focusing in both of foreground and background, the exact focusing site should be compromised. But it would be not easy.
-
I used mine having sent it back to Japan to be recalibrated. Here are a couple of results, a bit cartoonie I thought.


-
Had another go with this in Egypt this week and am a bit more pleased with the results. I actually managed to get some focus in these shots! Used with the Canon 7D, 60mm macro. 2x S2000 on STTL.

and I found a very obliging Blue Spotted Ray who didn't seem too concerned about the end of the lens being very close to his eye.

-
Well, it's 10 months since the last post to this thread. I still have not pulled the trigger on buying one of these, but I am thinking about it.
-
Nathan, Indecision 2011 is going to be Indecision 2012 soon!

-
Nathan, Indecision 2011 is going to be Indecision 2012 soon!

Indeed you are right. The problem is that I basically only dive November-March (and sometimes less) due to being too busy. So if I miss the window for one year, I might as well wait until the next year, because the technology improves, new things come out. I have two dive trips coming up - a week in the Grenadines in late Jan, and 3 weeks in Belize. So I am trying to decide whether to get it for those trips - assuming that I can pull the stuff together in time.
-
So I just ordered one.... I go to the Grenadines in mid January, we'll see how it does...
-
Anything more recent on this lens?
-
My experience is like that of other people on the thread. The lens can do some amazing things that no other lens can do. But it is also pretty hard to use, and the optical quality is not great. The net result is that with some extra effort you can get some amazing pictures.
-
I'd disagree slightly. I think it is easy to use, but limited by resolution. Great for video - limited optically for stills. Great for on screen, projection and online viewing. Limited for printed outputs - although useable because of the unique perspective.
I share some thoughts and images in this talk from a year ago:
Alex
-
I'd disagree slightly. I think it is easy to use, but limited by resolution. Great for video - limited optically for stills. Great for on screen, projection and online viewing. Limited for printed outputs - although useable because of the unique perspective.
I share some thoughts and images in this talk from a year ago:
Alex
I have not yet got many keeper pictures with it but as Alex says for video it can be really neat.
http://www.blueviews.net/assets/videos/ind...eye_640x360.mov
shows some video from Lembeh, the tiny octopus at the end thougth it might be a good place to live, a little cleaner than his Sprite bottle.
Bill
-
That was a great video, really enjoyed it.
-
Has anyone been put off the fact it looks like a long proboscis sticking out of the housing?

-
Has anyone been put off the fact it looks like a long proboscis sticking out of the housing?

More like a futuristic machine gun.
Bill
-
I am not put off by it, but I try to be extra careful it doesn't get sat on or other issues in the dive boat, because you could presumably damage it.
The thin proboscis is also very easy to bump into rocks if there is any surge.