and look at what you are buying.
I have not had this luxury since I live in the boondocks.
I have bought almost all my new camera gear for years without seeing it till I had it in my hands. The exception was the D2H as a friend had one. I therefore rely on whatever technical descriptions are provided, and these are generally wanting. What is omitted in something is almost never stated. Fancy brochures full of pictures taken with a new camera are not compelling to me.
The quickest I have ever ordered anything new was when the 14-24 Nikkor came out. This was based on seeing the MTF figure on the Nikon homepage. I e-mailed one of my suppliers within 1 hour of its posting in order to get near the top of the waiting list. The Alaska timezone was useful in this case. Generally I wait a bit and see what is wrong as this happens all to frequently. I bought the Leica M8 before finding out about its problems, so have been more cautious since.
I do rely on so-called tests, reviews, etc. Often they come too late. Those that are more timely such as DPR, however, focus on certain aspects such as imaging performance. AF performance is almost all anecdotal. Even the imaging performance evaluation is done mainly by comparing contemporaneous models. These tests provide little evaluation for those thinking of upgrading from earlier models. For example, camera brand X vs brand Y comparisons do not tell me how much better camera X is relative to what I have. I really don't give a hoot how much a new Nikon is better than a new Canon. Rather how much better is this new Nikon relative to my old D2X etc. I have not found a compelling reason to upgrade as a result.
I have not seen tests on water resistance. It would relatively easy to rig up something that would enable a quick dunking of a camera into a tank of water - the test would be whether it would turn on or not afterwards. A pass-fail test, with most cameras failing, therefore making it a rigorous test. 