Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

What is this ? Please help !!

Started by tunc ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

What is this ? Please help !!

24 posts
  1. It looks like a Juvenile Moray eel , does anydody know ?

    post-5033-1261829125.jpg

  2. someone posted something like that not too long ago. It is some sort of very juvenile eel..

     

    wow, great capture

  3. VERY cool shot of a leptocephalus larva! :)

    See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptocephalus

     

     

    Taken from the wikipedia..."The leptocephalus of the common Japanese conger, Conger myriaster, is called Noresore· のれそれ in Kochi Prefecture, Japan, and often served live to the table, and eaten live after dipping in Tosazu mixed vinegar.

     

    Isn´t this typical for the japanese..

  4. Taken from the wikipedia..."The leptocephalus of the common Japanese conger, Conger myriaster, is called Noresore· のれそれ in Kochi Prefecture, Japan, and often served live to the table, and eaten live after dipping in Tosazu mixed vinegar.

     

    Isn´t this typical for the japanese..

     

    easy on the national generalizations.. Iceland isn't really known for its track record with marine creatures..

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  5. easy on the national generalizations.. Iceland isn't really known for its track record with marine creatures..

     

     

    You are absolutely tru but i can´t remember anything we eat while it is still alive. But I know what you mean and i apologise. I just get angry when i read or hear something like that...and it can involve my own nation to.

  6. That is awesome - never heard of it. Thank you for sharing!

  7. Thanks for the help guys , so it is a Moray Larvae ,cause the head looks like a Moray eel ?

    The body was like 30cm long ,

     

    Regards,

  8. By the way i captured this in Lembeh :)

  9. incredible find, beautiful photo! thanks for posting Tunc

  10. Interesting photo; I found a 3 cm. long one in July that didn't even have eyes yet. Nice capture!

    Cheers,

    Marli

  11. I asked Ben (wazungu) to comment on this as he works on larval fish. This was his reply:

     

    well, the problem is that it is from Lembeh, where probably 2,000 species of reef fish reside (!), and the eel larvae are a huge problem- there are many families of eels that all look pretty similar, and even the adults are difficult to assign to family, let alone genus and species. The important characters for adults are subtle enough- the characters for larvae are literally counting the number of muscle segments and hoping for the best. So, the bottom line, can't even say what family it is (and "morays" covers many families in addition to the strict Muraenidae). Amazing photo though...

     

    Thanks for your help Ben!

    Edited by Leslie
  12. It is in all probability a Gymnothorax Javanicus. If you pixel peep at 200%, you'll see black spots on the top and bottom of the body. I don't have my pics with me so I can't post a sample.

    My post from July:

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31498

     

    Leslie, how come you didn't ask Ben for me and I had to go scout for an answer myself? :)

    Edited by Drew
  13. It is in all probability a Gymnothorax Javanicus. If you pixel peep at 200%, you'll see black spots on the top and bottom of the body. I don't have my pics with me so I can't post a sample.

    My post from July:

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31498

     

    Leslie, how come you didn't ask Ben for me and I had to go scout for an answer myself? :good:

     

    A) Pigmentation of pelagic larvae is usually much different than the adult color so that's not a good clue. I'd stick with what Ben said.

     

    B) Tunc is cuter

     

    C) Ben didn't join until late August.

     

    :)

  14. A) Pigmentation of pelagic larvae is usually much different than the adult color so that's not a good clue. I'd stick with what Ben said.

    Yeah but my sample was much older than his. I'll live in ignorance since I have a name and no one knows any better! :D I shot my example in Bali.

     

    B) Tunc is cuter

    Well if you put it that way, I can't argue with you about subjective appraisals of cuteness. I don't want to be called cute anyways, too teenagey. :) I just never thought you were one of those "chicks" who liked exotic foreign men. :good:

  15. I asked Ben (wazungu) to comment on this as he works on larval fish. This was his reply:

     

     

     

    Thanks for your help Ben!

     

    Thanks for your help Leslie i do appreciate it.Please extend my thanks to Ben.

     

    It is in all probability a Gymnothorax Javanicus. If you pixel peep at 200%, you'll see black spots on the top and bottom of the body. I don't have my pics with me so I can't post a sample.

    My post from July:

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31498

     

    Leslie, how come you didn't ask Ben for me and I had to go scout for an answer myself? :good:

     

    Drew thanks for the photo , and the identification..( of the larvea, not myself) :)

     

    Regards to you all,

  16. Yeah but my sample was much older than his. I'll live in ignorance since I have a name and no one knows any better! :) I shot my example in Bali.

    Well if you put it that way, I can't argue with you about subjective appraisals of cuteness. I don't want to be called cute anyways, too teenagey. :good: I just never thought you were one of those "chicks" who liked exotic foreign men. :D

     

    Older? The critters in the pictures look so similar you might have shot the same one! Oh well, ignorance is bliss, I suppose..... :)

     

    Exotic foreign men.... be still my beating teenage heart! It was always my ambition to end up living on another continent on one of them. Somehow I failed completely, so sad. :(

  17. I was mistaken. I did have one of the pics but since this is a resize from minimally processed jpeg, the sharpness is off. Still you can see the black spots.

     

    It was always my ambition to end up living on another continent on one of them

    Leslie, exotic foreign men pangs is so 70s. But rich men in general are still all the rage in LA. :)

     

    Tunc, sorun yok. As you can see from this pic, and if you verify from your pic... the black spots are all over the body. If yours has them, then at least we know it's the same species.

     

    post-1861-1262195310.jpg

     

     

    post-1861-1262195638.jpg

    Edited by Drew
  18. Wow that is an awesome picture.

    Thanks

    Edited by Jazzyjezzy
Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.