Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Rebel housing just posted on Ikelite

Started by martys ·

  • 30Posts
  • 30Replies

Read-only discussion

Rebel housing just posted on Ikelite

30 posts
  1. Man that was fast!

     

    Herb, got yours ordered yet? :D

  2. You guys are too fast for me. I have no details yet or idea on cost.............

  3. Ike, while you're at it can you make a flip tray to go with it?

  4. Judging by the page title, etc., that's also the new 10d housing. That thing is TINY! Beautiful work as always Ike. What's the depth rating?

     

    Also Ike, any chance of updating the port list? Maybe adding the Canon 17-40L?

     

    Tom

  5.  

    Woooaaaah

     

    Reeves>

     

    Nice looking little housing, I begin to suspect that Canon's dSLRs are going to start making (more) serious inroads in to the underwater photography world.

     

    Really like the new (to me at least) pugilist octopus emblem in glowing colour.

  6. Neat, I like that it's not just a box.

     

    I am interested in James' comments regarding lack of w/a lenses for this rig...

     

    Can a YS120 be connected and TTL synced?

     

    Jack

  7. The 15mm Sigma works great as an underwater WA lens - but it is next to useless topside. If Sigma makes a 12-24 lens for Canon mount, then you will be all set - but it is not currently available.

     

    I think Ike's housing looks excellent. Very small and streamlined. It looks like the camera mounts to the front as well.

     

    Cheers

    James

  8. The 15mm Sigma works great as an underwater WA lens - but it is next to useless topside.  If Sigma makes a 12-24 lens for Canon mount, then you will be all set - but it is not currently available.

     

    I think Ike's housing looks excellent.  Very small and streamlined.  It looks like the camera mounts to the front as well.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    Sigma 12-24 available the end of October according to the Germay sites.

  9. To expand on James' comments, the Canon 17-40L is the exact same size as the older Canon 17-35L which is supposed to fit. Could use one of the fisheye lenses from Canon or Sigma as well (maybe). Definitely can't house the Sigma 15-30. The new Sigma 12-24 that's supposed to come out later this year is an unknown in terms of size, so who knows?

  10. If the dimensions in there are accurate (100mm x 87 mm), this won't fit in the current ports from Ikelite because of the maximum diameter of the lens. I think the biggest a lens can be for Ikelite is 3.3".

  11. 100mm long and 87mm diameter eh? And focuses 28cm from the film plane - or just under one foot.

     

    Cheers

    James

  12. Did anyone else notice the strobe port is on the back of the case? I haven't seen this before with any other housings, wouldn't that make it prone to seperating the cord from the hotshoe connector if you don't remove the camera at the same time? I hate to knock such a beautiful little case, but I'm confused by the design decision to locate the connector on the back, unless there's some kind of quick disconnect on the inner cable going to the hotshoe. Also, with the sync cord coming out the back, won't it rub your face or mask as you're trying to focus through the viewfinder?

     

    Marty

  13. 100mm long and 87mm diameter eh? And focuses 28cm from the film plane - or just under one foot.

     

    Cheers

    James

    It's slightly bigger than the Nikon and focuses a little closer. It's also full frame in case you ever want to spring for a 1Ds.

  14. Herb:

    It's also full frame in case you ever want to spring for a 1Ds.

     

    You might want to investigate that one further. What does that mean? Will the lens still cover the full 12-24mm on a full frame camera? Or will it cover 18-24mm like the Nikkor 12-24DX will do?

     

    If the former, then that is VERY interesting - I wonder if they accomplish that by using the different lens mount on the digital rebel...

     

    Cheers

    James

  15. Hey Ike,

     

    Don't suppose you can knock one up for Herb by tonight - He needs it for Lembeh!!!

  16. The 15mm Sigma works great as an underwater WA lens - but it is next to useless topside.

    That seems a bit harsh. I have been using the Sigma 15mm fisheye on my 10D topside and like the results . . .

  17. It will work for landscapes and scenics but forget about it for tight shots indoors, etc:

     

    DSCF0787.jpg

     

    I know "forget about it" sounds kind of harsh, but I don't mean it to - it's just the way I "talk" on wetpixel.

     

    Cheers

    James

  18. Herb:

     

    You might want to investigate that one further.  What does that mean?  Will the lens still cover the full 12-24mm on a full frame camera?  Or will it cover 18-24mm like the Nikkor 12-24DX will do?

     

    If the former, then that is VERY interesting - I wonder if they accomplish that by using the different lens mount on the digital rebel...

     

    Cheers

    James

    Sigma claims a 122 degree view angle which is consistant with a 12mm lens for 35mm format. As I mentioned on another thread, the Nikon lens is spec at 99 degrees.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.