Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Rebel housing just posted on Ikelite

Started by martys ·

  • 30Posts
  • 30Replies

Read-only discussion

Rebel housing just posted on Ikelite

30 posts
  1. OK, we've thrashed the lens question pretty good.

     

    Now how about telling me if i should sell my S&S YS-120 and MarkVI arms and tray, or whether it will work in TTL with this camera....

  2. If it's the same flash system as the 10D and the D60, then no, that strobe won't TTL with the camera.

     

    But then, NO strobe will TTL with that camera so don't feel bad. I'm sure it is a good strobe and I don't see why you would have to ditch it. Does it offer full and 1/2 power settings? What about 1/4?

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Yes, Full,1/2, TTL, slave

     

    It has a nice wide beam. Good market for them, I could probably get at least $450-500 for it w/sync cord I should think. Would I be better off with a newer digital strobe for that money? But if I'm not gaining TTL, I'll I get would be more adjustability....?

     

    How come there's no external TTL?

     

    Jack

  4. The YS-120 won't ttl with the Canon dSLRs as James said, and It also won't hook up to the Ikelite housing.

     

    As of right now, no current underwater substrobe manufacturer has deciphered the complex series of preflashes both Canon and Nikon use in their respective eTTL and dTTL systems. They may have deciphered it, but may not want to mess with it. :D

     

    So, if you were to go Canon dSLR, you'd also be well served to do some housing shopping, or sell your YS-120 and put the money towards a DS-125.

  5. You may not need less power than1/4 (YS-120 at half power with diffuser), the 10D will go down to 100IS0, add a sync speed up up to 1/200, you'll should have enough leeway between shutter speed and aperture to get a proper exposure.

     

    That's my plan anyways....

     

    Stu

  6. The YS-120 won't ttl with the Canon dSLRs as James said, and It also won't hook up to the Ikelite housing.

     

    Why not with a Nikon sync cord? Ike??

     

    Jack

  7. Ikelite housings use an Ikelite bulkhead. This is not a Nikonos 5-pin bulkhead which has, for some reason, become industry standard. Many, including myself, consider the Ikelite bulkhead superior.

     

    There is presently no sync cord made that will connect this Ikelite bulkhead to a Sea&Sea strobe.

  8. I have a cord that will, but it's not made anymore.

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. Sweet housing. Looks like it follows the concepts that made the 5000 housing such a nice little housing.

     

    As far as S and S strobes; I think that Ike makes (or will make to order) an Ike to S and S synch cord. I believe you can get Ike housings with other bulkheads.

     

    If you use an Ike strobe with the manual controller you won't miss TTL.

  10. Yeah, i think I'll sell it all and start over. There's a good market for the YS120.

     

    I can't afford a DS125, but the DS50 looks good to stat with and then I'll add to it.

     

    Thanks all for the info, just trying to see how to make the transition from my S&S rig to an affordable dslr.

     

    If anyone has any more info, please ping me.

     

    Jack

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.