Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Apple releases Aperture 3

Started by Drew ·

  • 42Posts
  • 42Replies

Read-only discussion

Apple releases Aperture 3

42 posts
  1. Apple has released the newest version of Aperture, Version 3 which includes improved library control, GPS, online upload (facebook etc) and over 200 other new features.

     

    Apple Aperture 3 official website

     

    Aperture in Action (Pros talk about Aperture 3)

     

    The new program costs $199 for a retail set or $99 for the upgrade from previous versions and is available immediately.

    Edited by Drew
  2. I've posted a piece to the front page with my first impressions. Look forward to hearing what everyone else thinks of this long awaited release.

    Edited by sterlingz
  3. I'm abandoning my tentative plans to switch to to Lightroom for now. I was dreading the time it would take to manage the transition anyway.

    The Geotagging features look great. I also plan on using the video integration for 7D output.

    I was planning on stopping in the Apple store on the way home tonight anyway. It looks like I may be able to pick up a Aperture update along side my OS 10.6 update.

  4. I'd call ahead to check if the upgrades are available at the stores.

  5. I'd call ahead to check if the upgrades are available at the stores.

     

    According to some folks at macrumors.com who have been to the Apple Store and asked, physical copies of Aperture will not be on the shelves until tomorrow. It looks like I'll need to endure a 500+ Meg download tonight. Remember the days when DSL seemed fast enough?

     

    -Brad

  6. Today Apple also released an OS update that includes some important RAW compatibility:

     

    Canon PowerShot S90

    Canon sRAW

    Canon mRAW

    Leica D-LUX 4

    Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1

    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1

    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

     

    Its about time Canon sRAW and mRAW were supported.

    Users of the popular Panasonic G1 will also be happy.

  7. Maybe one of the most important features for file movement etc is this:

    Import XMP Sidecar Data

    While importing images, Aperture now imports metadata from XMP sidecar files located with them.

    Edited by loftus
  8. Today Apple also released an OS update that includes some important RAW compatibility:

     

    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

    Yay! Only 18 months after the camera was released!

     

    I am going to have to do some testing to see if Aperture can sync XMP (as opposed to just reading and exporting). I will never again use a product that keeps library data hostage.

    Edited by echeng
  9. Today Apple also released an OS update that includes some important RAW compatibility:

     

    Canon PowerShot S90

    Canon sRAW

    Canon mRAW

    Leica D-LUX 4

    Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1

    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1

    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

     

    Its about time Canon sRAW and mRAW were supported.

    Users of the popular Panasonic G1 will also be happy.

     

    Long overdue. The S90 is one of the most popular consumer digicams with RAW format, and has been shipping since October. The Lumix line has been a big hit for its form factor. This is the kind of delay that has lost Apple customers in droves. Even Aperture evangelists like Derrick Story had to ditch at least temporarily while waiting for the updates. With the life cycle of cameras growing ever shorter, not supporting them out of the gates is a terrible business strategy. Apple needs to pick up speed on this front, or outsource it.

     

    Actually, one of my hopes for Aperture 3 was that they would open up the RAW processing pipeline to third parties, so that Canon, Panasonic, et. al. could incorporate their own algorithms into the app. A pipe dream to be sure, especially for a company like Apple, but I think it would offer a much better plugin architecture than either Apple or Adobe are offering now. Forcing plug-in developers to take over image processing after the RAW is rendered to pixels strikes me as utterly pointless. It's far better to use the Photoshop versions of those plugins with smart filters.

    Edited by sterlingz
  10. Maybe one of the most important features for file movement etc is this:

    Import XMP Sidecar Data

    While importing images, Aperture now imports metadata from XMP sidecar files located with them.

     

    Yes, this is definitely welcome. It's ridiculous they didn't offer it before. There was no migration path to Aperture without it. How would anyone possibly switch?

     

    Unfortunately, the XMP import is incomplete. It does not support star or color ratings from Adobe, which is just a ridiculous oversight. Again, not playing for interoperability in classic Apple tradition. A big mistake in my view. iView/Expression Media can see star rankings assigned in Bridge or Lightroom for example. By the way, this applies to JPEGs in addition to RAW which is just incredibly dumb.

  11. I am going to have to do some testing to see if Aperture can sync XMP (as opposed to just reading and exporting). I will never again use a product that keeps library data hostage.

    Eric, I looked into this briefly. There is an option to export metadata, but it only generates a .txt file. There is however an option to export masters with XMP sidecar. I think this options are the same as in v2?

     

    As far as syncing - I haven't come across anything yet that gives me hope this was included.

    Edited by sterlingz
  12. The new feature Write IPTC Metadata to Master should be a convenient way to free your metadata. Only works in OS 10.6.

     

    Unfortunately, the XMP import is incomplete. It does not support star or color ratings from Adobe, which is just a ridiculous oversight. Again, not playing for interoperability in classic Apple tradition. A big mistake in my view.

     

    "Aperture 3 imports metadata from XMP sidecar files that adhere to the XMP 1.0 specification; ratings and label values are not part of that specification."

     

    -Brad

  13. Too bad. I wouldn't want to write IPTC to the master, and exporting XMP alongside masters has been there for a long time -- seems unchanged from earlier versions.

     

    I have over 100,000 images in a folder structure, and would love for Aperture to sync out XMP alongside existing referenced masters. I think I'm going to have to export all masters into 1 directory with XMPs and write a program to copy them to where they actually live in my Pictures folder (I'm still looking for ways to get my metadata out of Aperture and into Lightroom).

  14. Has anyone opened LX3 files with the upgrade. This would make my life a lot easier.

     

    Thanks.

  15. I can't even install the darn trial on my computer. Keeps hanging after I click install. Sheesh!

  16. I'm hopeful that Aperture 3 will fulfill my needs for a while. As long as it's fast and stable, everything else is secondary for me. I do not want to continuously change programs, just want to settle in and have something that works.

    Nice features that I think will incorporate into my workflow are the synchronous backup to a second drive on import. geotagging, easier transfer of libraries from laptop to desktop and more non-destructive editing / brushes. After selects are complete etc, any special images for printing I will reexport the masters for Nikon RAW conversion and NX2 manipulation and or Photoshop, then resave back to Aperture as TIFFS in the original stack.

    Edited by loftus
  17. MAN! I havnt been this excited since I was 12 and the nintendo 64 came out!

  18. Reading through the features; I've looked at the Faces and Places feature. I know it's been on iPhoto for a while as has geotagging in general, and I've just assumed it was kind of hokey.

    But taking a look at it, have to admit it's pretty cool with very slick interface for geotagging integration with great applications for what we do as underwater photographers traveling the world. Faces on the other hand may not be so much part of my workflow, unless it can recognize fish. Now auto integrated species identification, wouldn't that be awesome.........

    http://www.apple.com/aperture/action/richardson/

    Edited by loftus
  19. According to some folks at macrumors.com who have been to the Apple Store and asked, physical copies of Aperture will not be on the shelves until tomorrow. It looks like I'll need to endure a 500+ Meg download tonight. Remember the days when DSL seemed fast enough?

     

    -Brad

     

    Haha, that would take me a week or more to download that :drink:

  20. I pick up an upgrade copy of Aperture 3 at the Apple Store last night.

    Installation was a greater chore than I anticipated. Aperture crashed consistently on startup. A little googling revealed that this problem is widespread amongst upgraders. The solution was to delete the Aperture ProID file from Library/Application Support. After restart I needed to enter the serial of my previous Aperture install (Aperture v2).

    After start-up, Aperture 3 took 2+ hours to update 70,000 thumbnails in my referenced photo library.

    Once I had Aperture 3 up and running I had one additional crash that took down the whole computer, requiring a reboot. Fortunately I did not loose any work. In fact Aperture opened up to the same window with the same images selected prior to the crash

    So far I’m happy with the features. I geotagged an entire Bali/Wakatobi trip very quickly. I just hope we see a stability update soon.

    I'm learning not to be such an early adopter. I waited until this week to update the OS from 10.5.8 to 10.6.2. I was too anxious to wait for Aperture 3.1.

     

    -Brad

    Edited by BradDB
Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.