Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New PC - in search for

Started by Scubysnaps ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

New PC - in search for

23 posts
  1. Hi,

    I'm in the middle of buying a new PC, would absolutely love to get an iMac to go wityh my Macbook Air but not sure if I can justify the huge price difference.

    What would be the "minimal" factors to look for, to make sure Lightroom acheived generation of the image quicker between the 1000's of phtos I plough thru.

     

    I just bought one but its now being returned as it had problems restarting, it had 6GB RAM, and an Intel core2Quad Q8300 2.5Ghz 4MB L2 cache? (I cant relate to processors any more!?) and a ATI Radeon HD4350 graphics card........Generation of images was faster in LR but still not fast enough...what factors here are still not good enough to get LR nice and smooth?

     

    Thanks in advance

    Paul

  2. Hi,

    I'm in the middle of buying a new PC, would absolutely love to get an iMac to go wityh my Macbook Air but not sure if I can justify the huge price difference.

    What would be the "minimal" factors to look for, to make sure Lightroom acheived generation of the image quicker between the 1000's of phtos I plough thru.

     

    I just bought one but its now being returned as it had problems restarting, it had 6GB RAM, and an Intel core2Quad Q8300 2.5Ghz 4MB L2 cache? (I cant relate to processors any more!?) and a ATI Radeon HD4350 graphics card........Generation of images was faster in LR but still not fast enough...what factors here are still not good enough to get LR nice and smooth?

     

    Thanks in advance

    Paul

     

    I assume you are using it in 64bit mode? As windows 32bit cannot recognise more than 4gb RAM.

     

    The best thing I did was fit a faster hard drive for OS and programs. My LR database also reside here, with it's previews. The actual images are on a second HDD (Internal).

     

    It's a 10,000RPM 150GB Western Digital Velociraptor.

     

    Also, when I have some downtime (as in go and do something else) I make sure LR creates full sized previews for everything

     

    Sean

  3. Get a solid state drive for your boot drive :) Too bad those drives are still so expensive.

  4. Paul, intelligent people to talk to are at DA Computers ( http://www.dacomputers.com/ ). Andy Morley has built a number of bespoke PCs for me over the years. Their customer service and support are second to none too. No waiting in telephone queues, no 'limited lifetime support' bo!!ox, no offshoring... just good old free hardware and OSservice and support for as long as you own the kit.

  5. Thanks for the replies, sorry not sure of my answers at the minute!

    Tim, we have Novatech near us who do the same, I was thinking of paying them a visit

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  6. I assume you are using it in 64bit mode? As windows 32bit cannot recognise more than 4gb RAM.

     

    The best thing I did was fit a faster hard drive for OS and programs. My LR database also reside here, with it's previews. The actual images are on a second HDD (Internal).

     

    It's a 10,000RPM 150GB Western Digital Velociraptor.

     

    Also, when I have some downtime (as in go and do something else) I make sure LR creates full sized previews for everything

     

    Sean

    I store my images on a Buffalo 500GB external portable hard drive so I can work on them on my macbook air too, will this mean the images will only develop the same speed as what the hard drive will handle no matter what machine I use? The software is on the hard drive of the PC and the macbook. Not sure if I completely understand what is stored where and why?

     

    PS you won the YD photo comp!

     

    Get a solid state drive for your boot drive :) Too bad those drives are still so expensive.

    I'll take note of that, are macs solid state? what makes them so better?

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  7. It has nothing to do with a brand of computer. Solid state drives are much faster than any normal drive, especially for applications where you have a lot of file access like Lightroom

  8. It has nothing to do with a brand of computer. Solid state drives are much faster than any normal drive, especially for applications where you have a lot of file access like Lightroom

    ok thanks, Is solid state whats in my iPhone and memory stick etc? ie not a disc?

  9. Ok cheers, is there any other best specs required, like the RAM, graphics card, processor, cache? and does it matter that my images are on a normal external hard drive?

  10. The specs you mentioned sound like more than enough.

  11. The specs you mentioned sound like more than enough.

    I thought they would be too, but the photos within the lightroom thumbnails didnt "focus" quick enough, quicker, but not in an instant. Is it something else I am missing?

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  12. Yes, the fact that Lightroom is slow. This is not something you can fix with computer specs. The LR forums are full of people with problems, and some suggestions on how to mitigate the problem. Ive learned to live with it, and dont see it as a problem anymore. Make sure you always create thumbnails that your screen can show by default on import.

  13. oh ok thanks Cor, I'll look into your suggestion about thumbnails, not sure if am at the moment

  14. I assume you are using it in 64bit mode? As windows 32bit cannot recognise more than 4gb RAM.

     

    Ah? I that why it may have crashed on me becasue I installed 32 bit software? its a 64 bit version of Windows & on the one I am about to return

  15. In light of my recent events I'm sick to the teeth for now with couriers and have cancelled the return of the above and decided to give it a 2nd chance, I did a system restore on it the other night, and it worked ok, so I've got another 21 days to try it out anyway.

     

    Can anyone tell me what NOT to do with a 64 bit PC? I've read that 32 bit software will maybe just run slower, so should be ok with the assumption I made before

  16. The way I have my LR set up is as follows;

     

    Database and Previews on 10k drive

    Actual Images on 'normal' rive

     

    I create full size previews on import (just leave it cranking).

     

    LR runs fairly fast for me like this, as all the files it needs are on a high speed drive.

     

    LR can do a lot of work without needing the actual image files, it just references the previews. You can, in fact, take you entire database with you, and leave ALL of the actual images at home. Certain options become unavailable, but a lot of functionality is still there.

     

    I intend to use downtime at airports etc. to keep keywording and organising, while my images are safe and sound back home.

     

    Sean

  17. In light of my recent events I'm sick to the teeth for now with couriers and have cancelled the return of the above and decided to give it a 2nd chance, I did a system restore on it the other night, and it worked ok, so I've got another 21 days to try it out anyway.

     

    Can anyone tell me what NOT to do with a 64 bit PC? I've read that 32 bit software will maybe just run slower, so should be ok with the assumption I made before

     

    You should be able to run 32bits software on a 64bit OS, however there are some times when it will not work. That mostly relates to driver issues the 32-bit program wants to use. Those problems are rare though.

     

    The difference between 64 and 32 bit are almost exclusively the ability to address more memory. 32bit caps out at about 3,5gb, with drivers and such eating up some, and you usually end up with about 3gb RAM available to the programs. So if you have more the 3gb RAM in your system you should go for a 64bit OS, or you will be missing out on your RAM.

     

    Running a 32bit program in a 64bit OS just limits the maximum amount of memory this application can use to ~3gb. I have looked at how much my Lightroom application uses, and it very rarely goes above 1gb. However, my catalog is about 700mb, and I'm not sure how this is cached. If the OS has available RAM it should use this for caching HD access, which in turn would speed up reading (and possible writing) to your HD. Then again, there is really nothing that should stop you from using the 64bit version if you do have a 64bit OS.

     

    As for generating the image quick, I've found that there are several factors that affects this. I'm running on a machine with 12gig RAM, and a i7core 920 overclocked to 2.8GHz. If I compare this with my notebook, which have a slightly slower HD (7200 vs 5400), only 4gig RAM, but a measly 1.6Ghz CLUV processor. The netbook takes almost 30 seconds to render a 5dmkII rawfile when opening to anything except the preview. This takes less then a second on my i7 machine.

     

    There is also the setting to adjust how much HD-space you want to use for caching camera-raw data (not sure if this is only used during final rendering or not). And a setting for how long to keep the preview before it being discarded.

     

    Graphic card only affects the LR performance when doing localized editing. If you don't do that, then it would not make any difference if you have a whizbang 3D superexpensive card or a $50 one.

     

    Looking at your spec, I would guess a SSD HD with the OS and the database/catalog on, and a normal for storing the disc. From my own experience, I dont think adding more RAM would help you much right now, but getting a faster processor (i5 or i7 would be my recomendation) might speed up your first initial preview.

     

    One thing you could do, if your running Windows7 (guessing since new computer and 64bit OS). Fire up the task manager, and then in the 3:rd tab click on Performace monitor (running swedish Vista right now, might be called something else ). Or simply run perfmon.exe . With this util you can see CPU utlization, memory consumtion, HD access and network access. Fire up this program, then you can easily see if its the CPU that spikes and goes to 100% when you open Lightroom and see the "slowness", or if its HD access thats the bottleneck (you can see in % how much of the HD bandwith is used, and how many read/writes are queued up).

     

    Best of luck!

     

    /Björn

  18. It might not be the pc, but all the crapware running on startup. Do you use a clean windows install or install from the vendor. Vendors like dell, hp and others put so much crap to slow down the pc and is not really needed. Plus, adobe starter, itunes and other programs that start up in the back ground is not needed. Last remove your anitvirus and use microsoft security essentials, free and the fastest virus scanner. You pc is plenty fast.

  19. I second the recommendation for an SSD for your boot disk. You can get an Intel X-25m 160gig at Newegg for around $300 right now. This will make your computer feel lightning quick compared to anything else you've tried so far.

     

    Cheers

    James

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.