Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Photographer captures amazing images of lions after

Started by jeremypayne ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Photographer captures amazing images of lions after

23 posts
  1. Truly amazing.

  2. Wonder what housing he used! ;)

    Only kidding; pretty amazing dedication to the craft.

  3. No split shots?

  4. Fantastic images and dedication.

     

    Someone - send that man a drysuit

  5. Someone - send that man a drysuit

     

    That's exactly what I was thinking! Perhaps he wanted the "full" experience with worms and all...

  6. Fantastic shots but he is an igit ...

  7. Simply awesome

     

    Personally I would like too avoid the worms...

  8. Great pictures - but a seemingly dumb photographer.

     

    Maybe he had a good reason not to be using some form of protection from the nasty things in the water ?

     

    Fair comment you may not be able to avoid the malaria but the rest?

     

    Wonder if he was even using a camera housing.

     

    Paul C

    Edited by PRC
  9. No split shots?

     

    It looks like they were split (over under) shots, but he cropped away the bottom portion, since it would just have been distracting (you can see a little of the uw part in the second one).

     

    As for the drysuit, that's exactly what I was thinking, too!

     

    All in all, a pretty amazing - albeit inadvisable - bit of photography! Makes me feel pretty wimply for complaining about ANYTHING on a liveaboard dive boat... :)

    Edited by bmyates
  10. There are powered waterproof pan/tilt systems available plus full remote capabilities for dSLRs (even if you sat in a covered boat). Given that I'm pretty sure that bilharzia can lead to damaged vision, I think that a remote operated camera might have been a far better route! Cracking image but were they worth the cost?

  11. Amazing shots. But when you can get military surplus drysuits for $300 or less on eBay (no valves, but not needed for these purposes), he definitely chose the BF&I* method of getting the shots.

     

     

     

     

     

    *brute force and ignorance

  12. That is fantastic. I am always amazed at the dedication and patience those nature photographers have all to get that one picture or video. I just hope he was keeping an eye out for the most dangerous animal: hippos. Great work.

     

    -Daniel

     

    -----------

    Daniel Herrington

    Broadreach and Academic Treks

    www.gobroadreach.com

  13. "He began a long-term waiting game where he sat semi-submerged for 270 hours "

     

    Now i've never worn a dry suit, But im assuming that if it keeps water out then its not going to let water escape. Im sure that sitting in your own urine for 270 ( what is that like 12 days) is going to mess up your skin pretty bad. When I was really young I had a ginnie pig that I just left in dirty bedding when my family whent on a five day vacation. When we got back from the trip Mr. Fuzzy had lost most of his hair and had HORRIBLE sores all over his body. The vet said that it was from the acids in his urine. I would take worms over those kind of sores that I saw.

    Pluss isnt a drysuit hot as hell? In africa?

  14. Hi Derek,

     

    I don't think he was in the water for 270 hours in a row - I think that was cumulative.

     

    A "pee valve" is almost standard equipment on a drysuit nowadays - do a google search for all the gruesome details. :-) Hint: it's definitely better than getting a parasite.

     

    Cheers

    James

  15. "He began a long-term waiting game where he sat semi-submerged for 270 hours "

     

    Now i've never worn a dry suit, But im assuming that if it keeps water out then its not going to let water escape. Im sure that sitting in your own urine for 270 ( what is that like 12 days) is going to mess up your skin pretty bad. When I was really young I had a ginnie pig that I just left in dirty bedding when my family whent on a five day vacation. When we got back from the trip Mr. Fuzzy had lost most of his hair and had HORRIBLE sores all over his body. The vet said that it was from the acids in his urine. I would take worms over those kind of sores that I saw.

    Pluss isnt a drysuit hot as hell? In africa?

     

     

    That's funny, I'm sure his sandwiches would have got damp too! I bet he was stinking afterwards each time too. Amazing images though!

  16. Hi Derek,

     

    I don't think he was in the water for 270 hours in a row - I think that was cumulative.

     

    A "pee valve" is almost standard equipment on a drysuit nowadays - do a google search for all the gruesome details. :-) Hint: it's definitely better than getting a parasite.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    Pee out - snails in. Not good for your Johnson!

    Bob

  17. IMO. nice shots, poor judgments and field preparation, there are gears out there to assist you for theses kind of shoots, what pisses me off is that this guy has the luxury to be sick and treated while other around where he was shooting have no choice but to live (and die) with the parasite, disease and what not, I'm being moral here, but there is something wrong with this picture, its being spoiled by false bravado and fake heroism, good human behavior generally does not make for good pictures but at one point, the brain has got to come out of the Fruit of the Loom.

     

    Again spetacular images, I would have preffered to see them without the behind the scene episode.

  18. "He began a long-term waiting game where he sat semi-submerged for 270 hours "

     

    Now i've never worn a dry suit, But im assuming that if it keeps water out then its not going to let water escape. Im sure that sitting in your own urine for 270 ( what is that like 12 days) is going to mess up your skin pretty bad. When I was really young I had a ginnie pig that I just left in dirty bedding when my family whent on a five day vacation. When we got back from the trip Mr. Fuzzy had lost most of his hair and had HORRIBLE sores all over his body. The vet said that it was from the acids in his urine. I would take worms over those kind of sores that I saw.

    Pluss isnt a drysuit hot as hell? In africa?

     

    In the text of the article .... 3 hrs a day for 90 days = 270 hours.

     

    I wonder if he used a bag type of "housing" such as the EWA type of "'housing" as it sure does look like there was some "dipping" of the lower part on one of the images...

     

    Regardless, the images are really spectacular!

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.