Thanks guys, good info, I appreciate it.
Drew thanks, after a little digging I see that Canon has a new version of the Zoombrowser software available. release date 4-13-2010, but it's on the website. (back to the future) That may help the playback on my PC, seems to have improved video support. I'll have to try it out.
Mr Wohl, thats cool, fucky website though, I can't find where it says it supports Movie files. I'm not sure of the mechanics of how I'd use it to back up to multiple drives . I'm assuming that one of the versions would support a PC?
Guys, Photo Mechanic definitely deserves some study and the Lightroom plugin is very cool Jeremy, maybe all I need to make sense of the work flow. Wonder if LR3 will support video files when it's finally released?
Cheers,
Steve
The website got switched up a bit, but supported Raw Formats are here and User Manual is here Note that it is basically copying things and I think it relates more to previewing than anything (as opposed to not copying). I have used the units with the Canon 5D Mark II files and all images can be read and viewed, the movies get copied but are not viewable on the unit. If you want to send me your 7D, I would be happy to test it out to see if everything copies okay. 
As to the format, it will work with Mac and PCs - put a hard drive in, format the hard drive via the Colorspace Menu and you are ready to go. The UDMA is extremely quick in copying and has nice features like verfication, data recovery etc. I am sure other units do the same thing, but these were recommended to me around here awhile ago and I have been happy with them. I buy the empty ones and put my own drives in. Quick and easy. Still getting used to the UDMA version (different general controls), but it is very very fast to download off of cards, though it only can be attached to a computer via USB, but even then it is not too bad. Just ran a quick test and copied 6.5 gigs from the unit to my tower, took under 4 minutes. One thing I need to play with some more is just using it to copy files by itself, but you can do that. In other words, you can move files from the unit back out to a compact flash or SD card.
As to LR3, I would hope the support video files to some degree (even just to organize things), but who knows.. On the Mac side of things, Aperture and iPhoto both support movies a bit, though to view them they open in other windows. Just in case you ever go to the Mac 