Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam NA-7D, Dome Port and Inon Z-240

Started by vkire ·

  • 29Posts
  • 29Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam NA-7D, Dome Port and Inon Z-240

29 posts
  1. Howdy,

     

    My Nauticam housing for my Canon 7D arrived on Friday and tomorrow morning I am doing my first dive with it. I am new to DSLR housings, so, it took me a while to figure out how to put everything together (arms, fiber optics, strobes, etc.). Despite the lack of (some) manuals, I've found the process pretty straightforward and the Nauticam + Inon Z-240 combo is looking stellar (more on my impressions after I actually go diving with it :-).

     

    However, I am finally stumped. When I install my compact port (+base) for my Canon EF-S 60 mm macro, I have no problem attaching the Inon Z240 strobes. When I install the dome port for my Tokina 10-17 mm, though, the port is hitting the fiber optics jacks that are plugged into the bullkheads. I can have either the dome port or the fiber optics connectors, but not both.

     

    Do I need an extension ring? The Nauticam port chart (http://nauticamusa.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Nauticam-Canon-port-system.pdf) says "Port base = not required" for the Tokina 10-17 mm, so, I am confused what's going on.

     

    post-8543-1269166576.jpg

     

    I know that there are only a handful of people with Nauticam housings, but I am hoping someone can give me an advice. My dive is in 6 hours!

     

    Thanks!

    Kiril

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  2. Kiril,

     

    I think you have two options:

     

    a) use your current cables - install cables first then FE-port. Cables will slightly curved by port but works well

    b) wait for a new optical cables with L-shaped connectors - Nauticam now working on them

     

    One week ago I faced with same issue

    Edited by elDiamante
  3. Kiril,

     

    I think you have two options:

     

    a) use your current cables - install cables first then FE-port. Cables will slightly curved by port but works well

    b) wait for a new optical cables with L-shaped connectors - Nauticam now working on them

     

    One week ago I faced with same issue

     

    Hmm... two things:

     

    1) I tried that, but the port would not go all the way in and I could not lock it. And in fact the connectors started getting a bit bent, so, I immediately removed the port so that they don't get damaged.

     

    2) My (Inon) connectors are already L-shaped.

  4. Hmm... two things:

     

    1) I tried that, but the port would not go all the way in and I could not lock it. And in fact the connectors started getting a bit bent, so, I immediately removed the port so that they don't get damaged.

     

    2) My (Inon) connectors are already L-shaped.

     

    1) Just push slightly harder - you don't damage connectors - trust me. It's abnormal usage but you can do it without of any fear

     

    2) I'm talking about housing-side connectors - Nauticam will replace it in next version of cables soon.

  5. 1) Just push slightly harder - you don't damage connectors - trust me. It's abnormal usage but you can do it without of any fear

     

    Erm... I'll try again. :-)

     

    2) I'm talking about housing-side connectors - Nauticam will replace it in next version of cables soon.

     

    Interesting. Are they easily user-replacable/installable? Will I be able to replace them by myself?

     

    Thanks!

    Kiril

  6. Could you post photo with FE-port and optical connectors installed together? Which part of connectors pushes FE-port?

     

    I have different housing - for Nikon D90 ...

  7. Could you post photo with FE-port and optical connectors installed together? Which part of connectors pushes FE-port?

     

    I have different housing - for Nikon D90 ...

     

    Will do after my dives. Meanwhile, I tried again and I definitely cannot push the port in once the connector are screwed in; if I apply too much pressure, I am pretty sure that either the port or the connectors will get damaged (most likely the port from my pushing it too hard; the connectors seem pretty sturdy).

     

    However, I realized that I can install the connectors after the port is in place simply by doing a single turn/twist into the bulkhead. It's not fully screwed in, but hey, it's fiber optics - it just needs to get a bit of light, and I tested it with one of the strobes and it fired just fine! So, it's not really fully screwed in (since it's at an angle), but it gets sufficient lighting from the flash and it's firing just fine.

     

    KV

  8. Hmm... two things:

     

    1) I tried that, but the port would not go all the way in and I could not lock it. And in fact the connectors started getting a bit bent, so, I immediately removed the port so that they don't get damaged.

     

    2) My (Inon) connectors are already L-shaped.

     

     

    Have you tried the Inon L type connectors to see how they fit ?

  9. For the time being, Inon Optical Cable M need to be used with the 8.5" Nauticam Domes and the 200mm (and soon 230mm) Zen domes. Nauticam are revising their optical cable tooling to put an L- shaped connector at the housing solving this problem, but replacements/upgrades are a few weeks away.

  10. My Nauticam housing for my Canon 7D arrived on Friday and tomorrow morning I am doing my first dive with it. I am new to DSLR housings, so, it took me a while to figure out how to put everything together (arms, fiber optics, strobes, etc.). Despite the lack of (some) manuals, I've found the process pretty straightforward and the Nauticam + Inon Z-240 combo is looking stellar (more on my impressions after I actually go diving with it :-).

     

    However, I am finally stumped. When I install my compact port (+base) for my Canon EF-S 60 mm macro, I have no problem attaching the Inon Z240 strobes. When I install the dome port for my Tokina 10-17 mm, though, the port is hitting the fiber optics jacks that are plugged into the bullkheads. I can have either the dome port or the fiber optics connectors, but not both.

     

    Hi Kiril,

     

    Yes, this is a (temporary) problem in the specific situation of a large dome with no extension ring (doesn't affect other setups). We are making a change to the fiber optic cables so that they have an immediate 90 degree bend on the housing side that will eliminate the problem. We'll fix or replace the cables for folks who have this problem. Sounds like you might have found a workaround for today. The Inon Optical Cable M (L Type) cables do have the 90º bend so those are another option.

     

    In regard to the users manual, the first few Nauticam 7D housings are shipping without the manual (all the other housings currently ship with manuals). The manual is nearly ready and will be shipping with new housings very soon. For those that do not get a manual with their NA-7D, email me and I will get you a PDF copy of the manual as soon as I get it.

     

     

    Interesting. Are they easily user-replacable/installable? Will I be able to replace them by myself?

     

    We'll either make it easy for you to do or just replace the whole cable, not sure which, yet, but we definitely won't make it a pain.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Chris

  11. Hi Kiril,

     

    Yes, this is a (temporary) problem in the specific situation of a large dome with no extension ring (doesn't affect other setups). We are making a change to the fiber optic cables so that they have an immediate 90 degree bend on the housing side that will eliminate the problem. We'll fix or replace the cables for folks who have this problem. Sounds like you might have found a workaround for today. The Inon Optical Cable M (L Type) cables do have the 90º bend so those are another option.

     

    In regard to the users manual, the first few Nauticam 7D housings are shipping without the manual (all the other housings currently ship with manuals). The manual is nearly ready and will be shipping with new housings very soon. For those that do not get a manual with their NA-7D, email me and I will get you a PDF copy of the manual as soon as I get it.

     

    We'll either make it easy for you to do or just replace the whole cable, not sure which, yet, but we definitely won't make it a pain.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Chris

     

    Thanks Ryan and Chris for your responses. I do have the Inon L-shape connectors but the oval part of the (cable side) connector is hitting the port, so, unless Nauticam comes up with connectors that have a lower profile, I think the bulkhead itself would need to be modified. The workaround I have is ok for now, but I am worried that even with a single twist I can damage the grooves on the Inon connector, so, it would definitely help to get a real solution for this. Here are a couple of photos to illustrate the problem better:

     

    post-8543-1269292087.jpg

     

    post-8543-1269292093.jpg

     

    Thanks!

    KV

  12. Nauticam will have new OF connector in 2 weeks.

    Probably they will replace connector for free.

  13. Is this going to delay the shipping of 7D housings at all?

  14. ND90 have this issue????

  15. ND90 have this issue????

     

    Yes, same issue

  16. I was really ready to invest in this exact setup...

     

    does this worry anyone else that a company can miss something like this during the design stage for possibly the most widely selling WA lens - Tok 10-17, with the dome they suggest, and possibly the widest selling strobe for this level of camera the inon 240? Did no-one setup this exact setup during the design stages or at least pre-shipping to customers?

     

    Can i clarify are these inon cables to fit nauticam housings OR nauticam cables for inon strobes?

     

    What about other strobes? Sea & Sea? Ike?

     

    a little concerned...

     

    Olly

  17. The port charts are currently being updated to reflect a recommendation for #21520 Extension Ring 20 with the 8.5" Acrylic Dome Port for Tokina 10-17 on both Nikon and Canon mounts. This is not in response to this issue, but is as a result of field testing indicating much sharper corners. It just so happens to solve this issue as well.

     

    Neither the current Nauticam -> Inon Optical Cable or Inon Optical Cable M are compatible with a large dome attached directly to the 7D, D300, or D300s Nauticam housings (I apologize for the misinformation above). The upcoming Nauticam right angle optical connector should be fine. There is no interference with a dome attached directly to the D90 or D700 housings with the Inon Optical Cable M and upcoming Nauticam right angle connector.

     

    Electrical Nikonos connections for Sea & Sea and Ikelite don't interfere in any way.

  18. I was really ready to invest in this exact setup...

    I'm in a similar spot - I've paid a significant deposit on a Nauticam 7D to secure my spot on the waiting list with my dealer - obviously none of this is his fault though - it's going to be just as frustrating for him I expect.

     

    does this worry anyone else that a company can miss something like this during the design stage for possibly the most widely selling WA lens - Tok 10-17, with the dome they suggest, and possibly the widest selling strobe for this level of camera the inon 240?

    It is a concern that something that should have been part of the design criteria has been allowed to happen - I was a little concerned that Edward from Nauticam went to Lembeh when the initial shipments of the Nauticam 7D housing were running behind schedule. I'm flying 3 legs/9.5 hours in the air to my dealer next Monday to pick up my housing however I'm now almost resigned to the fact that my housing won't be there when I arrive.

     

    Did no-one setup this exact setup during the design stages or at least pre-shipping to customers?

    Strange as it may seem I guess nobody did - certainly when they went to Lembeh they probably didn't setup for wide angle as Lembeh is known for it's macro.

     

    Can i clarify are these inon cables to fit nauticam housings OR nauticam cables for inon strobes?

    They don't look like my Inon cables but I wasn't aware that we needed to buy Nauticam cables for Inon strobes - can someone clarify this please?

     

    What about other strobes? Sea & Sea? Ike?

    Not sure - not even sure if Ike strobes work with optic fibre with a Nauticam - I haven't used Ike strobes since about 1995.

     

    Edited to better reflect what I wanted to say - my boss has great timing - she told me this morning that she was becoming increasingly concerned about my high stress levels and that perhaps I should use some of the leave that I have owing to me to have a holiday - I replied that I was just waiting for my goddamn $%@%$ camera housing and that as soon as it arrived I would apply for lots of leave :) :) :)

    Edited by RedSeaDiver
  19. Hey partner, I understand your concern and frustration. With any new hardware there are bound to be some teething pains. I'm looking at it positively, the good news is they found a problem with one setup configuration (which isn't recommended now) and they are fixing it. I'm comfortable that the guys behind the equipment will stand behind it. I ordered mine today after talking to some folks I trust in California and Florida. I think it will be a great piece of gear. Really looking forward to getting my hands on it.

     

    Good luck,

    Steve

  20. RedSeaDiver,

     

    Sounds like you and i are in the same boat, except i havent put my deposit down yet and my dealer is a 40min drive away!

     

    Cant blame Edward (whoever he is) for going to Lembeh, im sure he was product testing and stuff, BUT just feel that this setup with a 10-17 and z240s is the dream WA setup and maybe this should of been spotted in the office? during initial setups and testings, lookin at the photos, im sure there was a lot of high 5's and whooping in the factory when the first products came off the belt, but its pretty obvious that the bulkhead is quite close to the dome shade and some connectors might of had problems???

     

    Be aware that the Aquatica housing is the same price but their domes and ports are much more expensive, like for instance the 8" aq dome does not include a glare shade, which costs and extra $129, and the neoprene cover? ... add $30... it works out much more, thats why i chose Nauticam.

     

    Steve,

    Im with you on standing behind them to sort their problems, especially a young company that is making truly innvotive ideas and we should look at this positively that this has come to light early, but for those that have paid the bucks already, im sure it would of been nicer if it came to light a little earlier?

    Is there nothing worse than spending big bucks to find a component missing or not working! The excitement build up on the drive home, the initial set up (While of course the bathtub is running - for the initial test) to find that the smallest bit does fit! Anyone that has ever shopped in Ikea will know the basic feeling.

     

    Im glad that the 20mm ext ring seems to solve the problems, but id be p*ssed if i had to catch 3 flights to go back to my dealer.

     

    Olly

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.