Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Need sympathy...

Started by tdpriest ·

  • 41Posts
  • 41Replies

Read-only discussion

Need sympathy...

41 posts
  1. Sympathy is hereby extended to you!

     

    Your support group is right here on Wetpixel and we are indeed a very supportive group as many of us have "been there, done that, worn the t-shirt".

     

    I flooded my Subal housing when in Indonesia. My camera, 105mm lens and 1.4x teleconverter were all toast. I can understand some of what you are experiencing. Shock, denial and eventual acceptance were processes I had to go through.

     

    As others have said, if you can learn why the flood happened and take steps to make sure it never happens again, you will have gained an important piece of knowledge that should serve you well in the future. In the meantime, I offer you my heartfelt sympathies.

     

    Ellen

    Edited by ornate_wrasse
  2. Be a good lesson to hear how all your floods have happened?

     

    I did a minor flood of a D300, the flood alarm saved me in the pre-dive rinse bucket. But I still poured water out, due to a misplaced main o-ring.

     

    Jack

  3. Well as I told I have never flooded mysel any camers, but my girlfriend flooded her camera (THAT I BOUGHT HER) :goodpost:

    She rushed to set it up just before entering the water and a small piece of rope (i think it was a small piece of wrist strap) was stuck between the O-Ring. Flooding happened instantly and the camera was destroyed. Luckly it was Olympus C5060 P&S, so not a very big loss.

    So moral of the story - set up You gear carefully and take You'r time.

     

    Cheers

    Karel

  4. My latest housing is a Hugy. I chose it over alternatives for one reason and one reason alone. Hugycheck. That little green LED means so much.

  5. I flooded my 50D just before my holiday in Feb. Its an Ikelite housing, I've been happy with it and the 3 previous leakwise generally but have complained about the 2 port lock system before now as a weakness I have worried about since I watched a port drop off right before I jumped in the water.

     

    As far as I can tell it happened because I rotated the dome as you have to when using the 10-17mm 8 inch port and the rotational pressure on the clip caused one port clip to pop either while it was in the boat or when I was putting it on - the port stayed on but the seal went at some point. This is mainly an issue with the 10-17mm as you cant easily check the port locks visually, unlike with other ports, but peace of mindwise, 4 port locks beats the heck out of 2 for any port.

     

    Needless to say the 4 port clip change they made for new models is very welcome, if only they'd done it a while back given the feedback they've had on the issue.

     

    So now I have to suffer with my new 7D instead. My partner is semi convinced I did it on purpose.

     

    Otara

    Edited by Otara
  6. Sorry to hear this Tim :goodpost:

  7. ;) Been there; done that.

     

    XXX & :goodpost:

     

    Bob

  8. My sympathies, Tim. The F-word is our worst fear. I wish you every success with your next set of kit.

     

    I recall a piece of advice from a veteran of this monkey business, one Warren Williams.

     

    "When you're setting up your kit, don't let anyone distract you. Doesn't matter who they are, or what they've got to say, you tell 'em to f*** off!"

     

    One from the old school...

  9. I have been lucky so far (although I know it is just a matter of time). Keep up the good spirit and jump back in the water ASAP!

     

    P.D: The only players who miss penalty kicks are ones that throw them.

  10. Out here they call it Sakara......

     

     

    Ummmnnn...

     

    Doing o-rings after dinner and Margaritas might be a contributory factor, I guess...

     

    :goodpost:

     

    Tim

     

    ;)

  11. I know this sounds a bit mercenary at your time of need but I have a very little used D200 doing nothing in my workshop.

     

    Thanks, but I've already Amazoned a new body. Now, if anyone has a 10.5mm that they're no longer using because they have a D700... :goodpost:

     

    Progress: I have disassembled my waterlogged Inon 45-degree angle viewer and cleaned out the soggy prism - it's drying on my desk as I write. The housing is sitting in the bath and has been dry for 18 hours. I'll try it in the pool tonight, and somewhere horrible at the weekend (Gildenburgh... yeuggh!) if it's not raining.

     

    Luckily, I had shot most of what was around before the flood - posted in trip reports and galleries below about Solmar V and La Paz.

     

    Tim

     

    ;)

    Edited by tdpriest
  12. My latest housing is a Hugy. I chose it over alternatives for one reason and one reason alone. Hugycheck. That little green LED means so much.

     

    ... but I thought that the Hugycheck was just because Hugy's have such a peculiar locking mechanism... :goodpost:

     

    Tim

     

    ;)

  13. Tim, you have my sympathy . . . very much. I share your pain cos I have just flooded my D300 + 17-35mm lens in a MDX-D300 3 days ago!!! After 6 dives in two days, I murdered my cam on the 1st dive on the 3rd day. Both cam + lens are dead . . . Nikon service centre cannot revive them. :beer:

  14. No leaks at 4m....

     

    Tim

     

    :beer:

  15. . I'll try it in the pool tonight, and somewhere horrible at the weekend (Gildenburgh... yeuggh!) if it's not raining.

     

    Tim, Gordon and I are diving Gildy on Sunday if you want to join us.

     

    Let me know.

     

    Daniel

  16. Thanks, but I've already Amazoned a new body. Now, if anyone has a 10.5mm that they're no longer using because they have a D700... :beer:

     

    I have. I don't want to sell it, but happy to lend it until after the Wetpixel Bahamas July trip.

     

    Alex

  17. ... but I thought that the Hugycheck was just because Hugy's have such a peculiar locking mechanism... :beer:

     

    Tim

     

    :D

     

    You are right. The hexagonal bolts are a complete pain especially when some Airport Security plonker wants the housing opened yet one cannot carry a hexagonal wrench in one's carry-on 'cos it's a security threat! However, once depressurized by the Hugycheck pump you can undo the bolts and completely remove them but you will not get the seal to break. Neither do the hexagonal bolts accidentally get unclipped in a rinse tank.

     

    I never put my D2x in a housing because I was too poor to risk it and I only contemplated the D700 underwater once I'd tested Hugycheck for the mag.

    I use a Sea & Sea housing for my D200 DX cameras and have never flooded them. Don't ask about times before that!

  18. Sincere sympathy indeed. That all sounds just all too depressing. If you find out what caused the flood.. many of us fellow Nexus owners would be interested to know. I have been fortunate so far...but only had my rig since last summer.

     

    Pickled O-rings are not good for operators and Pickled operators are good for O-rings.

     

    its rather like the old saying...

    Kids in the back seat cause accidents.

    Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

  19. Ouch! I've got the answer for you Tim :beer:

  20. Ouch! I've got the answer for you Tim :D

    Yeah...

     

    ... and you let me play with it.

     

    That's a mean sales technique!

     

    Tim

     

    :beer:

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.