Alex - I only had a 16-35 zoom, and both the lens and the camera was on loan from Canon Professional Services.
I own the Seacam housing for the EOS1Ds because we have so many high-end topside pros wanting to rent it for fashion shoots in the pool and over/unders, more so than hard core underwater photography. So, I saw this as a good opportunity to learn more about the camera.
I didn't really expect to be quite as impressed with both the resolution and color on the EOS1Ds, but when you look at the detail at "Actual Pixels" in Photoshop you'll realize this is a big step forward. There is a learning curve to Canon coming from Nikon, but actually once you learn the navigation of the dial functions it is very straightforward. The monitor is big/bright, and the AF fast and accurate.
I know Eric and others have been concerned with the * buttom for autofocus via custom function 4-1, and my housing is enabled with the extended lever to facilitate this control. But I found it easier to use conventional AF via the shutter release lever because that's what I'm used to. I can see where the * is a useful option though.
I did find I had to dial at least 1.5 stops underexposure into the exposure comp to get good available light exposures though, but once done, they were consistent. Speaking ofavailable light, I did not get my strobes to work on the Canon housing but that was my own stupidity. I tried my normal E-O connectors and a synch cord modified for a D1X and nothing would fire the strobe. So, I used the EOS1Ds for available light shots and my housed D1X for strobe fill. But, a normal TTL synch cord from Ikelite on my SS200 worked fine once I got home. Too many cords in my travel kit and I never tried the right one :angryfire:
So, while I wouldn't feel bad about my D100 if I were you, for I really believe that is a wonderful tool for underwater photography, none of us can ignore the technological advantages of the 11.1 megapixel capture and CMOS color space. As for the full frame, that is kind of irrelevant to me now that Nikon has made lenses to accommodate the wide angle with their chips. A 1.5 sensor and 12 megapixel capture would satisfy me quite well thank you. We'll see what the near future brings.