Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Golden Girl - NWS

Started by loftus ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Golden Girl - NWS

24 posts
  1. FWIW, shot with the new Nikon 16-35. :lol:

     

    Elizabeth%202010-05-15604%20-%20Version%202.jpg

    Edited by loftus
  2. Exquisite Jeff, just stunning light. :lol::)

     

    Steve

  3. Thanks Steve; here's one more, and again FWIW shot at the 35 end. I really like this lens seems to be sharp all the way through from 16-35 with no diopter. First image was at 24mm.

     

    Elizabeth%202010-05-15763%20-%20Version%202.jpg

    And then to be complete, here's one at 16mm, with minimal left and right crop.

     

    Elizabeth%202010-05-15526.jpg

    Edited by loftus
  4. Very nice!

  5. Kudos ! Very well done in all aspects. Hat's off to both you and the model ... these shots are not easy to do.

     

    Cheers

    Ben

     

    ps. Any lighting tips from the first image?

  6. Lovely!!

     

    lighting is spot on.

     

    what setup did you use? did you use a gel ?

  7. Thanks guys.

    Lights are getting more complex; did add a small gelled Inon slave below and to the right.

    Edited by loftus
  8. Excellent as I would expect from you! Kudos.

     

    ...Just wondering what the model was hanging from for the 2nd photo. Feet out of the water, suspended from a diving board? Very nice effect.

     

     

    All the best, James

  9. Excellent as I would expect from you! Kudos.

     

    ...Just wondering what the model was hanging from for the 2nd photo. Feet out of the water, suspended from a diving board? Very nice effect.

     

     

    All the best, James

    Thanks James, this image is completely underwater right side up as you see it, I use an acrylic platform that I can raise and lower.

    Gets me to wondering, does the mystery go out of the images if one explains how they are done? :lol:

    Edited by loftus
  10. Thanks James, this image is completely underwater right side up as you see it, I use an acrylic platform that I can raise and lower.

    Gets me to wondering, does the mystery go out of the images if one explains how they are done? :lol:

     

    Your images are incredible, and having you explain them does not detract from the awe.

  11. Exceptional as always - thanks for continuing to post them.

     

    Paul C

  12. A friend pointed out that the version of the first image I posted was a little too cooked. I pulled the Recovery slider back and definitely got a technically better image, but lost the golden glow I liked.

    I'd like to know which one folks prefer.

     

    Elizabeth%202010-05-15604%20-%20Version%202.jpg

    Edited by loftus
  13. A friend pointed out that the version of the first image I posted was a little too cooked. I pulled the Recovery slider back and definitely got a technically better image, but lost the golden glow I liked.

    I'd like to know which one folks prefer.

     

    Personally I would vote for the cooked image. Your subject has more pop, the colours may be a little excessive but they match the name of the photo ... so in my mind it works.

    Edited by bcliffe
  14. Another vote for image #1.

     

    "Technically better" isn't necessarily better art.

     

     

     

    All the best, James

  15. Really nice images, Jeff!

  16. Jeff - these are superb! I am of course very jealous that you're back in the water for the summer when it's still pretty chilly here. But our first baby-swimming lesson of the year is this weekend so we'll have to just suck it up :-)

     

    I too like the first image more than the re-worked one. Just something about the glow - that I like - even if it's a bit processed.

     

    Cheers

    James

  17. Hi Jeff,

     

    Nice pictures. I actually prefer the second rendition of image #1. To me it isn't so contrasty. More finesse and subtle toning.

     

    As a demonstration of the16-35mm lens quality, I'm not sure these pictures really do the job as the peripheral edges and corners of the pictures are black with no detail. So the viewer gets no information about the lens performance behind the dome in these parts of the picture.

     

    And as an aesthetic comment, I would say, "Why were these shots taken underwater?" There is little to distinguish that fact. And little to distinguish them from shots any photographer might take in a topside studio with a seamless black backdrop. I would rather have seen something in the pictures that makes it clear that the shots are underwater. Maybe a trickle of bubbles somewhere.

     

    But in any case, a very nice set of pictures. Thank you for sharing them with us.

     

    Fred

  18. Hi Jeff,

     

    Nice pictures. I actually prefer the second rendition of image #1. To me it isn't so contrasty. More finesse and subtle toning.

     

    As a demonstration of the16-35mm lens quality, I'm not sure these pictures really do the job as the peripheral edges and corners of the pictures are black with no detail. So the viewer gets no information about the lens performance behind the dome in these parts of the picture.

     

    And as an aesthetic comment, I would say, "Why were these shots taken underwater?" There is little to distinguish that fact. And little to distinguish them from shots any photographer might take in a topside studio with a seamless black backdrop. I would rather have seen something in the pictures that makes it clear that the shots are underwater. Maybe a trickle of bubbles somewhere.

     

    But in any case, a very nice set of pictures. Thank you for sharing them with us.

     

    Fred

    Hey Fred,

    Thanks.

    A couple of comments. I agree these are not comprehensive with regard to the peripheral quality of the 16-35, but from my perspective for pool use I am pleased with the performance. The last image of the reclining nude shows pretty good edge to edge sharpness of the model's feet and hands without any smearing(uncropped from left to right), and more importantly I was happy that there seems to be less peripheral distortion than I saw with my 17-35 setup.

    As to the aesthetic issues, I don't think there's a right and wrong. Some images have bubbles or other clues that they are underwater, other's don't. I think it would actually be quite difficult to duplicate some of the poses where the model is so relaxed, without the effects of gravity etc in the studio, things like the floating hair etc. Anyway, all that really matters to me is that the images are interesting whether they are topside or in the pool.

    Edited by loftus
  19. HI again Jeff,

     

    Please don't misunderstand what I was saying. I was not trying to infer any "right" or "wrong" at all. Simply saying that the underwater fashion shots that I have seen and like the best were very clearly taken in the underwater environment - usually a pool. And its something I would love to try, but just haven't made it happen. I'm still in the middle of that transition from film to digital. And having fun with that, but spending a lot of time trying to get my new D700 housings modified to the level of convenience of operation that I had with the F5 housings I used for the last ten years. I'm finally getting close. And since we live within reasonable distance of each other, I hope that we might get the chance to meet this winter when I'm back in Florida. Right now I'm in South Australia. I also really appreciate your comments on the lenses as I have just finished having gears made for the 16-35mm lens (now added to the 17-34 and 14-24). I used and liked the 17-35 almost from its introduction. The other two lenses I haven't really gotten to use yet as my last big dive trip was to Lembeh.

     

    Again, my compliments on the pictures and my thanks on your analysis of the lenses.

     

    Fred

  20. HI again Jeff,

     

    Please don't misunderstand what I was saying. I was not trying to infer any "right" or "wrong" at all. Simply saying that the underwater fashion shots that I have seen and like the best were very clearly taken in the underwater environment - usually a pool. And its something I would love to try, but just haven't made it happen. I'm still in the middle of that transition from film to digital. And having fun with that, but spending a lot of time trying to get my new D700 housings modified to the level of convenience of operation that I had with the F5 housings I used for the last ten years. I'm finally getting close. And since we live within reasonable distance of each other, I hope that we might get the chance to meet this winter when I'm back in Florida. Right now I'm in South Australia. I also really appreciate your comments on the lenses as I have just finished having gears made for the 16-35mm lens (now added to the 17-34 and 14-24). I used and liked the 17-35 almost from its introduction. The other two lenses I haven't really gotten to use yet as my last big dive trip was to Lembeh.

     

    Again, my compliments on the pictures and my thanks on your analysis of the lenses.

     

    Fred

    No worries Fred; hope we can get together. I understand your preference. I simply try to approach the pool as if it were a studio, without preconceptions as to whether it should look like it's underwater or not. Often the ambiguities that are introduced are what makes the photograph interesting. In fact just in this thread, James (fdog) asked how the model was suspended in the second image, I think he thought she was hanging upside down in the water, whereas she was right side up in this case.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.