Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

HD Macro in Lembeh

Started by liquidguru ·

  • 123Posts
  • 123Replies

Read-only discussion

HD Macro in Lembeh

123 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I've been a lurker here for a while and thought I would now share some short videos from Lembeh. I'm lucky enough to have just started working in the Straits, so i'll hopefully get some pretty interesting stuff :)

     

    [vimeohd]11963507[/vimeohd]

     

    [vimeohd]11805041[/vimeohd]

     

    [vimeohd]11797016[/vimeohd]

     

    Hope you enjoy,

     

    Kaj

  2. Hello Kaj

    Nice one.

    Yes you should end up getting lots of cool shots alright.

    Its a place for easy relaxed diving and shooting that's for sure.

    What are you shooting with?

     

    I just got back from there myself.

  3. Hi Wagsy,

     

    I use a Sony XR500. I'm very happy with it, especially with the new G2+ L&M housing.

     

    Lembeh is amazing. I keep telling myself that I should take the macro lens off the housing, but haven't managed to yet... :)

  4. Anyone got direct links to these videos? All I'm seeing is 3 empty white rectangles (maybe because I'm in Thailand?)

    Edited by Nick Hope
  5. A short Flamboyant Cuttlefish piece.

     

    [vimeohd]12165989[/vimeohd]

  6. Nice Work, I can't wait to see more!

     

    Mark

  7. Nice Work, I can't wait to see more!

     

    Mark

     

    Thanks Mark.

     

    Kaj

  8. Just added some great footage of two male Robust Ghost Pipefish (the two smaller Pipefish) fighting over a female (the lager one with the lager pelvic fins). It was fascinating to watch but I ran out of bottom time before I could see who won. Enjoy :B):

     

    [vimeohd]12310912[/vimeohd]

  9. I uploaded, last week, a video of Robust Ghost Pipefish males fighting over a female.

     

    This week I have some great video of three more different type of Ghost Pipefish that I didn't even know existed until 1 amazing dive in Lembeh.

     

    The video starts by showing Ornate (Harlequin) Ghost Pipefish, the most well known of the Ghost Pipefish family. The many different colours of these Pipefish are beautiful.

     

    The three Ghost Pipefish after the Ornate's are very rare and to find all three on one dive site was an incredible experience. I had not seen any of these three before :-

     

    Velvet Ghost Pipefish

    Roughsnout Ghost Pipefish

    Halimeda Ghost Pipefish

     

    [vimeohd]12540415[/vimeohd]

  10. Wow! Very nice videos!

    Those 2 male ghost pipefish look like they are doing the tango... Thanks for that video, all the pipefish I have seen were just "hanging" around... :D

  11. This weeks clip was a very lucky find, a baby Tiger (Horned Bumblebee) shrimp out for a trip with his dad. The baby was so small I could only be sure it was a juvenile when looking through the monitor on my housing.

     

    [vimeohd]12709588[/vimeohd]

  12. All cool stuff. I will never get bored of watching or looking at anything from Lembeh ( well apart from Mike and Simon ). What dive site was the Harlequin Shrimp at. We only found one and it was tiny, that was at Serena.

     

    Stew

    Edited by stewsmith
  13. no one gets tired of looking at Mike!

    No one!

    Kaj, you can show me the videos in person.. not downloading :notworthy:

  14. Not another bleeding lembeh macro film ... I've seen more Lembeh videos than Stoney cove Pike sequences and THATS saying something ... :notworthy:

     

    Nice though :)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  15. All cool stuff. I will never get bored of watching or looking at anything from Lembeh ( well apart from Mike and Simon ). What dive site was the Harlequin Shrimp at. We only found one and it was tiny, that was at Serena.

     

    Stew

     

    Thanks Stew. The Harlequin was at Serena. A month or so back there were two adult there, with the tiny one, for a while. I think that 'someone' may have taken the two adults out to show divers, then not put them back, as the two adults were there one day, gone the next...

     

     

    Kaj, you can show me the videos in person.. not downloading :)

     

    As soon as the mountain behind you stops sliding into NAD, come over :) Got a couple of other lovely things to show you too..

     

    Not another bleeding lembeh macro film ... I've seen more Lembeh videos than Stoney cove Pike sequences and THATS saying something ... :notworthy:

     

    Nice though ;)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

     

    Thanks Dave. I didn't know Stoney Cove's vis was ever good enough to shoot video :)

  16. Hi there,

     

    Very nice stuff.

     

    Can anyone give a recommondation on which lense to use when you go filming in Lembeh, is it only macrolenses or ??

     

    Thanks,

     

    Søren

    Thanks Stew. The Harlequin was at Serena. A month or so back there were two adult there, with the tiny one, for a while. I think that 'someone' may have taken the two adults out to show divers, then not put them back, as the two adults were there one day, gone the next...

     

     

     

     

    As soon as the mountain behind you stops sliding into NAD, come over :) Got a couple of other lovely things to show you too..

     

     

     

    Thanks Dave. I didn't know Stoney Cove's vis was ever good enough to shoot video :notworthy:

  17. Thanks Dave. I didn't know Stoney Cove's vis was ever good enough to shoot video :)

     

    Dave??? :notworthy: Oh I beg to differ... You can get an awesome 5M in the middle of winter ;)

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(call me daddy)B

  18. Hi there,

     

    Very nice stuff.

     

    Can anyone give a recommondation on which lense to use when you go filming in Lembeh, is it only macrolenses or ??

     

    Thanks,

     

    Søren

    Hi Søren,

     

    Many people come here with their normal setup and don't film macro at all. You can still get fantastic results. However, there's a reason for coming to Lembeh and the macro stuff here is on every dive. I have a dry mount macro lens on my housing, so I have to choose before I'm diving what lens I put on. I have found it very difficult to ever take the macro off. There is bigger stuff (huge giant Frogfish, a couple of WWII wrecks etc), so I do occasionally go with my normal lens, as there is plenty to see. The vis here isn't fantastic, so wide angle shots, or scenic reefs scenes don't usually exist. Having said that, there are some very beautiful and extremely colourful soft coral and sponge sites, but they too are filled with macro stuff (nudis, PSH, etc). If you have a macro option you should bring it, then you can choose on a dive-by-dive basis and dive both when in Lembeh.

     

    Dave??? :) Oh I beg to differ... You can get an awesome 5M in the middle of winter ;)

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(call me daddy)B

     

    Sorry Dean, have no idea where the Dave slipped out from...must be all this warm water diving I do, makes my head go soft....5m would be good here some of the time...maybe I need to go critter hunting in Stoney Cove :notworthy:

  19. Dave is close enough for that guy :notworthy:

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.