Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

HELP: Do I need a DSLR?

Started by malley1717 ·

  • 48Posts
  • 48Replies

Read-only discussion

HELP: Do I need a DSLR?

48 posts
  1. ahhh I just got back from best buy again and one of the sales reps was kinda talking me into the canon T2i or the canon XSI. Granted, everyone has their own preconceived notions and this may have just been a "canon guy." It did get me thinking about the two options. The associate told me that the canon has better (sharper) image quality and at half the price it is borderline appealing. The only thing i had against the canon right off the bat was it just felt cheaper and more "plasticy" (if you know what i mean) in my hands and i definitely prefer the layout and user controls of the nikon. Thoughts anyone?

     

    Thanks!

     

    Max

  2. Get the D90, you won't regret!

     

    Chris

  3. Well, I would stick w/ the camera that feels right in your hand. The Canon T2i is a much newer camera than the D90 so naturally has better features and image quality, but it only has one command dial so is a bit trickier to use.

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. ahhh I just got back from best buy again and one of the sales reps was kinda talking me into the canon T2i or the canon XSI. Granted, everyone has their own preconceived notions and this may have just been a "canon guy." It did get me thinking about the two options. The associate told me that the canon has better (sharper) image quality and at half the price it is borderline appealing. The only thing i had against the canon right off the bat was it just felt cheaper and more "plasticy" (if you know what i mean) in my hands and i definitely prefer the layout and user controls of the nikon. Thoughts anyone?

     

    Thanks!

     

    Max

    Looking through this thread; I'm exhausted. One rule though, NEVER listen to a camera sales rep at a regular store when choosing a camera for underwater use - they know NOTHING about underwater photography. Choose a camera, Nikon or Canon that when placed in your housing of choice will provide you with maximum ergonomic control of all the cameras controls. This should be your primary consideration in my opinion when moving from P&S to DSLR, otherwise you are wasting the advantages of a DSLR and may as well stick with P&S.

    As for image quality, it is so overrated in the context of today's available cameras particularly at the non-pro level. Every camera on the market today under most shooting conditions will not only provide fantastic quality, but I challenge anyone to tell one camera from the other for any standard image size displayed on the web, or for average size prints. Hell I just enlarged my paltry 12MP camera prints to 40x60 and at the normal viewing distance they look phenomenal. (Interpolated of course). Despite pixel count which is always a big Canon selling point, 'old' Nikon cameras still rate way high on sensor quality ratings that look more comprehensively at sensor quality and not just at pixel count. The D90 in fact is still way up there, way higher on the DXO sensor evaluations than any Canon equivalent sized sensor camera including the 7D. http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/DxOMark-Sensor

    So get the DSLR that gives you access to as many, or all controls if possible, in the housings available.

    Edited by loftus
  5. Well, I would stick w/ the camera that feels right in your hand. The Canon T2i is a much newer camera than the D90 so naturally has better features and image quality, but it only has one command dial so is a bit trickier to use.

     

    Hi James,

     

    Re: the single command dial. Not sure that I agree that it is trickier to use. For Av or Tv modes, the single command dial controls the aperture and shutter respectively. For M mode, by default it is the shutter, and then by holding down the Av button, its the aperture. I've been playing with this camera a lot and think it is pretty easy to use. Since there is only one dial, it's easy for your fingers to remember where to go to change something.

     

    On the Nauticam housing (and from the looks of it from the photos that Jean posted, the Aquatica as well), there is a switch that will hold down this button for you so you don't have to hold anything down to change aperture in M mode.

     

    Since I already have Canon glass, it'd be a no brainer for me to go with T2i, though I do the the D90 is an excellent choice too.

     

    I'm going to get to take T2i diving next week, and I'll probably write a blog post about how it goes.

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

  6. Update: I am the proud new owner of a nikon d90. Te the lens/acessory/uw equipment buying begin!

  7. Update: I am the proud new owner of a nikon d90. Te the lens/acessory/uw equipment buying begin!

     

    I need to change my vote. :)

     

    I just made the plunge from a G10/FIX system into the deep pit of financial despair known as UW SLR systems on Saturday when I ordered a Nauticam 550D housing, 60 macro port, and Zen 100mm dome for the Tokina 10-17 from Reef Photo. All hope is now lost.

  8. All hope is now lost.

     

    A new dawn breaks, sharp and clear. :)

     

    Congrats on the new rig.

     

    Have fun,

    Steve

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.