Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

3D 240 Frames Per Second Flip Test

Started by shawnh ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

3D 240 Frames Per Second Flip Test

26 posts
  1. I thought this was pretty cool. 240fps played back at 30fps.

     

    [vimeohd]14223354[/vimeohd]

  2. I thought this was pretty cool. 240fps played back at 30fps.

     

    I'd agree!

  3. I've got to go buy some 3D Goggles! Shawn what set up are you using for your 3D experiments?

     

    Cheers, Simon

  4. Hi Simon,

    I am using the same set up as Eric Cheng. Dual Sony 550v's on a rig with wide conversion lenses and dual lanc controller. It's a whole new world out there and its coming on. Hard to be left behind. Here are some pics:

    post-2224-1282145190.jpg

     

    post-2224-1282145207.jpg

     

    post-2224-1282145218.jpg

  5. Hi Shawn

     

    Thanks for posting the pics and that sure is a nice and compact set up. Are you just playing around with this for fun, to get your knowledge up to scratch on 3D shooting and workflows, or do you actually see a commercial application using those camcorders?

     

    Hmmmm where can I buy some googles from, or does everyone just take their Avatar glasses home with them?? I have not dipped my toe into the 3D pool yet, but it sure is exciting wondering where it will lead! :crazy:

     

    Cheers, Simon

    Edited by SimonSpear
  6. Still not sold on 3D ... Just new toys/expense in my humble. Best to wait for a while :-)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  7. I like how your face hits the water at the same time as your feet! :crazy:

     

    Still not sold on 3D ... Just new toys/expense in my humble. Best to wait for a while :-)

    Meanwhile, we'll have hundreds of hours of footage and an established, proven workflow. I just want to be out there early, learning the workflow and becoming an expert in the field!

  8. Meanwhile, we'll have hundreds of hours of footage and an established, proven workflow. I just want to be out there early, learning the workflow and becoming an expert in the field!

     

    Good luck with that... Like the hype with RED I will wait and see... I'm sure it will not be that difficult to work out, just let the 'beta testers' jump first then join the band wagon later :crazy:

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  9. How are you shooting at 240 fps? twixtor???

  10. Simon, you can buy glasses online at places like Amazon for a few dollars each. Purchase anaglyph (red/cyan). This is 1080 footage so certainly broadcast usable for certain levels of productions. Eric clearly stated the reason for this investment. 3D is coming and by the time it is mainstream, most shooters will be far behind. This is NOT like the step from SD to HD. It is far more complicated from both a shooting and post-production standpoint. The learning curve is challenging to say the least and the tolerances painfully tight.

     

    Jonny, the Sony 550V can shoot 240 fps for bursts of 3 seconds. These are buffered and captured at 30 frames, creating 24 second super slow-mo clips. Quite handy! Unfortunately their is additional compression so reasonable for web but not HD broadcast.

     

    Dean, I recall you saying the same thing about the Sony EX platform when you had the A1? What are you shooting with now :crazy: Hang in there brother!

  11. Shawn

     

    Great demonstration of the 240fps feature.

     

    Have you got your 3D rig housed or are you just playing around topside ?

     

    Peter

  12. Dean, I recall you saying the same thing about the Sony EX platform when you had the A1? What are you shooting with now :o Hang in there brother!

     

    You're memories a lot better than mine :)Although I did wait a year to see how well the EX1 cameras were excepted however I really think it's a different subject matter altogether. HD is a format for all types of broadcast I cannot imagine watching something like the news in 3D... However Natural world spectacles in 3D world be cool. As I said its still early days and the cams you are all talking about are pretty much like the A1's of their time, entry level, I'll wait for the Ex3D ... :crazy: Just being cautious.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  13. Cool thanks for the info Shawn. I'm excited about where 3D will end up. I may even start playing around with it if I can find the time.

     

    Dean, I recall you saying the same thing about the Sony EX platform when you had the A1? What are you shooting with now ;) Hang in there brother!

     

    I bet he ends up shooting a 5D or 7D next week!! :o:):crazy:

    Edited by SimonSpear
  14. 3D television sales are accelerating. 3D cinema is popping up all over. As Dean says, Natural History (and Sports) are some of the best subjects for 3D. Considering there is still a shortage of HD content for certain subjects, can you imagine the shortage of 3D content. Where are they going to get that content in a pinch? :crazy: Who are they going to turn to when they need to shoot it. Given the learning curve, waiting is ok but the catch up time is going to lengthly. The systems Eric and I are using enable us to experiment with all kinds of shots and scenarios without lugging huge rigs around. They also let us modify and work lens options. Certainly experimental phase but lots of promise.

     

    I am shooting the same rig as Eric underwater...simple carbon housing with dual cams and dual lanc controllers. We are experimenting with lenses now as well.

     

    More to come!

    Edited by shawnh
  15. I may even start playing around with it if I can find the time.

     

    Another one :)

     

    I bet he ends up shooting a 5D or 7D next week!! ;):D:crazy:

     

    I will shoot anything the production company sends me :D ... I'm still waiting for all you excited RED and then ViDSLR enthusiasts (now how many were there???) to retire on the fortunes from these streets of gold formats. My Ex1 is an excellent paper weight ... :o I will wait for 4D or even 44DD

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  16. Here's another one. Still tweaking optimal convergence points...comes down to screen size, viewing distance, preference and even individual eyes (everyone sees 3D differently).

     

    (if you are playing full screen, back up from your computer a bit...much better effect)

     

    [vimeohd]14272410[/vimeohd]

    Edited by shawnh
  17. Here's another one. Still tweaking optimal convergence points...comes down to screen size, viewing distance, preference and even individual eyes (everyone sees 3D differently).

     

    (if you are playing full screen, back up from your computer a bit...much better effect)

     

    [vimeohd]14272410[/vimeohd]

     

    I also need to get some 3D glasses ...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  18. Shawn, I think you did a great job on these little videos. While the flimsy 3D glasses give me a headache, the convergence plain was spot on, especially the two videos of the kids jumping. I saw no framing violations in the foreground at all. Do you have a housing for your 550 setup yet?

    Steve

    Edited by steve
  19. Thanks Steve! I am still working on how to manage dynamic shooting situations but getting closer. We are now trying wider conversion lenses and though they aren't perfect, they are creating some interesting opportunities. And yes, we have the cams underwater in a modified BS Kenetics rig. Posting more on that as well.

    shawn

     

    BTW: Eric, that was my brother not me flipping!

  20. Looks like a you are all being 'left behind' a friend of mine watched some 3D underwater footage at a sony centre yesterday Whalesharks, Manta's, sharks etc etc he said he was blown away by it :D . Someone out there is shooting all the fishes while you lot test your camera's topside...

     

    Come on 3D wetpixel peeps GET A MOVE ON!!!

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.