Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam NEX-5 housing

Started by shchae ·

  • 72Posts
  • 72Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam NEX-5 housing

72 posts
  1. You know, the remarkable thing about the nex5? It is NOT m4/3rds! It is exactly the same sensor size as a nikon dslr, other than the 'full frame' slrs like the d700.

  2. You know, the remarkable thing about the nex5? It is NOT m4/3rds! It is exactly the same sensor size as a nikon dslr, other than the 'full frame' slrs like the d700.

     

    hahaha

    ok

    you got me there

     

    my point is if u can afford dslr and its big size, go with it.

    i even consider myself a canon 550D once. same price as the nex.

    then again i travel a lot and i really want a "cute" camera with a "cute" housing and i like to travel light.

    besides that i have a budget.

    that is the main reason why i go with the nex.

     

    thats all

    thankies

  3. For now, I'm planning to get a Nauticam NEX-5 + 16mm + fisheye converter + dome port in the near future because the size and weight of the whole system is perfect for all types of water sports beside scuba like kayaking, white-water rafting... etc. A dSLR system is way too bulky and a P&S system cannot fully meet my family's travel need.

     

    I'm mainly waiting to see if Olympus will introduce early 2011 a EPL-2 with OEM housing that can do 1080 30p or 60p HD. I won't get an EPL-1 because it only has 720 HD, but the price of the UW system is very good.

  4. Sony Fisheye converter is only like U$149.00 each but, in big shortage & backordered in B&H and many other shops in US. Ryan/Reef photo

    got few & need to be in hurry if anybody want one.

     

    Sam

  5. If recently released ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) converter (model : VCL-ECU1) can be used with Nauticam housing, it will be great addition :)

  6. If recently released ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) converter (model : VCL-ECU1) can be used with Nauticam housing, it will be great addition :)

     

    Yes, the VCL-ECU1 can be used with the 4.33" dome port.

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

  7. Anyone with any new experience or insight on the NEX-5 system? I am SERIOUSLY considering going with one. Actually, planning on getting rid of my full 7D/Nauticam set-up, which while fantastic, I am very interested in the NEX for its good image quality and of course the size/weight difference. That plus the fact that I do not use the 7D on land very often.

     

    Any new lens/ports/etc., support coming from Nauticam?

     

     

    Cheers,

    Chris

  8. Anyone with any new experience or insight on the NEX-5 system? I am SERIOUSLY considering going with one. Actually, planning on getting rid of my full 7D/Nauticam set-up, which while fantastic, I am very interested in the NEX for its good image quality and of course the size/weight difference. That plus the fact that I do not use the 7D on land very often.

     

    Any new lens/ports/etc., support coming from Nauticam?

     

     

    Cheers,

    Chris

     

    Hi Chris,

     

    I recently posted a new little video on NEX-5 on our website (scroll down past the glass versus aluminum post...). NEX-5 makes a great little sidekick to 7D. Personally, I'd get one with no handles, just a hand strap, 16mm+FE, and no strobes... just have it handy as my "hey... is that a whale shark swimming by" camera setup... :-)

     

    Sony is supposed to come out with some new e mount lenses soon. While I am not holding my breath, there are some reports that the macro lens is on it's way soon. Plus Sony recently released the e mount specification to 3rd party lens makers, so maybe we'll see Sigma/Tokina/Tamron/etc lenses soon.

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

    Edited by Cp
  9. Not sure that this was the best thread to resurrect to discuss NEX 5/5N, but anyway:

     

     

    I've found some used NEX-5N kits locally for a good price including the kit lens and the 16mm and the FE add-on lens.

    There are also some nauticam housing for the NEX-5 around.

     

    * The conversion kit for a NEX5 housing is 220 GBP. What work does it involve to make the conversion and what functions does it cover?

     

    * I'm mainly aiming at a WA set-up and intend to get also the rectilinear add-on UWA-lens and the 4,33" dome that should fit both option. So what are your experiences with the quality UWA anf FE lenses with this dome? Are they usable all the way up to f2.8

     

    * I'm a bit concerned on focusing performance in low-light. How do you work with this limitation in practice? Is it possible to easily lock focus and use that together with the focus peaking?

     

    I realize that the oympus OM-D is the current mirrorless a la mode, but a used NEX-5N is quite a lot cheaper at the moment.

     

    Cheers

    /O

  10. The NEX5 to NEX5N upgrade kit has four components and full instructions on how to replace. I’m not sure about other dealers but we fit for free is customers prefer this.

  11. That involves replacing the back door and some controls, right? If not too risky i think it would be better to do DIY and save some shipping back and forth.

     

    The NEX5 to NEX5N upgrade kit has four components and full instructions on how to replace. I’m not sure about other dealers but we fit for free is customers prefer this.

  12. Yes, it is ok to do yourself, you don’t actually replace any parts which could result in flooding and you get full instructions with the conversion kit.

     

    There is a bargain one here

     

    http://www.uwpmag.com/?p=sell

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.