Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam NEX-5 housing

Started by shchae ·

  • 72Posts
  • 72Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam NEX-5 housing

72 posts
  1. One of the coolest things about mirrorless systems in my opinion is that they allow unique combinations like this. Utility is in the eye of the utilizer ^_^. I'm hoping to house a Voigtlaender 12mm /5.6 on NEX-5. It might rock, it might not, but for me trying these things out is fun, and occasionally you stumble on something that fills a need.

     

    Nikonos 15mm projects a 72 degree diagonal aov on NEX-5. If you have a subject in mind that is well suited for that aov I don't think any lens behind a dome can be sharper.

     

    Nikonos 28 with extension tubes outresolves slr macro lenses behind a flat port. Less flexible, but I'm sure that will be an attractive option for some.

     

    Some will use Nikonos 15 because they feel it is one of the sharpest lenses ever produced for shooting underwater. I'm sure someone will eventually post comparison images from Sony E- 18-55 at 20mm v. UW-Nikkor 15mm, and it will be interesting to see what is gained from the water contact optics.

     

    Here is another option;

    Nikkor 10.5mm/2.8 DX(1.5 crop) Fisheye through Nikon G/Nex adapter (U$40.- in e-bay). Camera in 'Release w/o Lens' mode, A-mode(shutter speed automatically changes), manual focusing (or fix at 0.5m to cover 3-10m in UW).

    Lens almost same size as 18-55 bundle lens. Need dome + extension to house this lens but, should be a simple one.

     

    Sam

    post-815-1285756737.jpg

    post-815-1285756757.jpg

    post-815-1285756792.jpg

    Edited by shchae
  2. Here is another option;

    Nikor 10.5mm/2.8 Fisheye through Nikon G/Nex adapter (U$40.- in e-bay). Camera in 'Release w/o Lens' mode, A-mode, manual focusing (or fix at 0.5m to cover 3-10m in UW).

    Lens almost same size as 18-55 bundle lens. Need dome + extension to house this lens but, should be a simple one.

     

    Sam

     

    Picture with Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye Zoom through Nikon G/Nex adapter(U$40 for Nikon G adpter/U$26 for Canon adapter). Camera in 'Release w/o Lens' mode, A-mode, manual focusing (or fix at 0.4m to cover 3-10m in UW).

    Lens little bigger than 18-55mm bundle Sony lens. Zoom gear is needed or use at fixed.

     

    Sam

    post-815-1285757240.jpg

    post-815-1285757254.jpg

  3. Of course, it'll be nice if Nauticam makes ports and focus gears for Tokina 10-17 or Nikon 10.5.

     

    By the way, I think it might be possible to use wet mount Fisheye conversion lenses from Inon or Fisheye, if there's an adaptor for 16mm pancake port.

  4. Mr.Woo,

    I see your name here & DEPC but, I think I never met you even though we live in same country. I will be in my US home this week

    & going to pickup the housing & bring it with me. pls, PM me if you are interested to see the housing & discuss it.

     

    I am going to have 18-55 port with 67mm wet lens adapter mainly for Macro but, not sure about 16mm pancake port. I am going to

    test & use Nikonos 15mm for wide + 35mm with x2 Nikonos wet diopter and/or 80mm Macro with/without diopter as it is VERY sensitive

    lens. I think I need a small dome port for 10.5mm or Tokina 10-17 lens & hope Nauticam develop it soon.

     

    Sam

  5. It is much more likely that Nauticam will be building new ports for additional compact lenses made to fit on the cameras and provide all auto functions. Sony already has a fisheye attachment which bayonets to the front of the 16 mm pancake lens and Nauticam already released a 110mm (4.33 inch) dome port for that 16 mm lens and fisheye adapter combination which works very well for most applications other than split images (over/unders). Regarding wet mounted conversion lenses, if they don't work with DSLR lenses then it is not likley they will work with the zoom lenses made for mirrorless cameras. Nauticam does however make a 67mm close-up lens mount which will work with the 18 to 55 mm zoom in the NA-NEX-5 housing with the flat port for that lens.

     

    Phil Rudin

  6. I have no doubt there'll be ports for Tokina and other common UW glasses sooner or later.

     

    However, for who want upgrade from compact cameras w/ wet mount lens, it would be very nice if those wet mount lenses are also availabe for NEX-5. Buying a new lens and a dome port will cost much more than buying an adaptor, I guess. I just hope Inon or Fisheye will test their wet mount lenses and provide adoptors. :-)

     

    BTW, thank you very much for kind offer, Mr. Chae. Will PM you later.

  7. Yes, of course this is a gimmick, but it is a very cool one. And this doesn't take away from the fact the NEX looks a great UW, just probably not with Nikonos lenses.

     

    The 15mm is not wide enough (considering Stephen says it is a 20mm equivalent and then you have to consider the crop factor, that is not wide at all). However, when there is a FF sensor NEX, this solution might start getting very interesting.

     

    Alex

     

     

    Sony has upgraded the user interface after the criticisms (http://www.dpreview.com/news/1010/10101405nexfirmwareavailable.asp)

     

    So what do you experienced DSLR UW photographers see as the pros and cons for NEX5 as the basis for a UW system.

     

    I'm a bit into the Canon system already with a 500D and some lenses for surface use, but this system seems appealing with it's compactness. Is it worth a system-switch?

     

    Cheers

    /O

  8. Sony has upgraded the user interface after the criticisms (http://www.dpreview.com/news/1010/10101405nexfirmwareavailable.asp)

     

    So what do you experienced DSLR UW photographers see as the pros and cons for NEX5 as the basis for a UW system.

     

    I'm a bit into the Canon system already with a 500D and some lenses for surface use, but this system seems appealing with it's compactness. Is it worth a system-switch?

     

    Cheers

    /O

     

    I just got housing delivered & is very very impressive housing. It is compact (is just little bigger than

    Nikonos V & same size as Canon G10 p&s housing) & has all controls & built with quality.I am going

    to test it with various lenses in UW,this week & post the result here.

     

    Sam

    Edited by shchae
  9. I just got housing delivered & is very very impressive housing. It is compact (is just little bigger than

    Nikonos V & same size as Canon G10 p&s housing) & has all controls & built with quality.I am going

    to test it with various lenses in UW,this week & post the result here.

     

    Sam

     

     

    I`m really looking forward to see your results :drink:

    Especially from Nikkor lens + adapter,

    since one of NEX system`s strongest side is ability to use most lens available via adapter.

  10. I thought this camera system was the upgrade I had been waiting out for, but with a flash sync speed of only 1/160, it is not for me.

  11. What are the limitations in the controlls (button, dials and menues) of the NEX5 as compared with "ordinary" DSLS of the entry or mid segments?

     

    There has been comments about the NEX that they are more advanced compacts that system cameras with that respect, how would that influence usability for UW usage?

     

     

    Cheers

    /O

  12. What are the limitations in the controlls (button, dials and menues) of the NEX5 as compared with "ordinary" DSLS of the entry or mid segments?

     

    There has been comments about the NEX that they are more advanced compacts that system cameras with that respect, how would that influence usability for UW usage?

     

     

    Cheers

    /O

     

    I am diving in philippine this week & find everything is working as advertised. I will post few sample pics from Nikonos lenses

    later today.

     

    Re limitations, I cannot think of anything is not there when it compare with dslrs. O.K. View finder is not there. but, has very clear/wide

    LCD finder. Has all controls I can think of. Re controls on housing, Nauticam has all controls including lens release & internal flash up/down.

     

    I have one comment for battery though. Battery is small due to small size of camera & fully charged battery allowed me 330 pics + 2 min. video

    which was good enough for 2 dives & I run out of battery in 3rd diving. Spare battery is strongly recommanded on dive boat.

     

    Sam

  13. I am diving in philippine this week & find everything is working as advertised. I will post few sample pics from Nikonos lenses

    later today.

     

    Re limitations, I cannot think of anything is not there when it compare with dslrs. O.K. View finder is not there. but, has very clear/wide

    LCD finder. Has all controls I can think of. Re controls on housing, Nauticam has all controls including lens release & internal flash up/down.

     

    I have one comment for battery though. Battery is small due to small size of camera & fully charged battery allowed me 330 pics + 2 min. video

    which was good enough for 2 dives & I run out of battery in 3rd diving. Spare battery is strongly recommanded on dive boat.

     

    Sam

     

    Sample pics posted here;

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...mp;#entry264791

  14. Good to see first NEX underwater photo in real life use.

     

    Thank you for providing good pictures.

     

    Did you test Nikkor 10.5mm/2.8 Fisheye with adapter as well? I am hunger to see more picture with NEX :)

     

    And wonder RAW image quality is any good or bad compared to other cropped sensor camera.

     

    Cheers.

    Edited by yupaso
  15. Good to see first NEX underwater photo in real life use.

     

    Thank you for providing good pictures.

     

    Did you test Nikkor 10.5mm/2.8 Fisheye with adapter as well? I am hunger to see more picture with NEX :)

     

    And wonder RAW image quality is any good or bad compared to other cropped sensor camera.

     

    Cheers.

    Hi,

     

    Due to limited time I had, I could not test any other lenses. All my pictures were taken in jpg as I was not

    sure I can convert Sony RAW file yet. I will do more test in 1-2 weeks.

     

    Sam

  16. Thank you for an interesting review Phil.

    Could you comment some more on optical quality of that fisheye converter and dome combination?

    How does it compare to fisheyes like 10.5mm, tokina 10-17, sigma 15mm?

     

     

    Andrzej

  17. Hi Andrze,

     

    I would expect any prime lens to be a bit higher in image quality over a cconverter lens be it behind the dome as in this case or a wet lens placed on the outside of the housing. It is a bit like adding a Close-up converter lens on the front of a prime macro lens. You can get great images but image quality is going to fall off a bit. With the Olympus 4/3 8 mm fisheye, Pany m4/3 8 mm fisheye for EVIL cameras and the 10.5, 15 mm, 16 mm fisheyes for 35 and sub 35 mm sensors dome selection will also to a degree determan image quality with those lenses.

     

    I thought the Sony 16 mm pancake lens with the fisheye adapter and the 100 mm (4.33 inch) Nauticam dome did a great job for the cost of the equipment involved.

     

    Phil Rudin

  18. Hi Andrze,

     

    I would expect any prime lens to be a bit higher in image quality over a cconverter lens be it behind the dome as in this case or a wet lens placed on the outside of the housing. It is a bit like adding a Close-up converter lens on the front of a prime macro lens. You can get great images but image quality is going to fall off a bit. With the Olympus 4/3 8 mm fisheye, Pany m4/3 8 mm fisheye for EVIL cameras and the 10.5, 15 mm, 16 mm fisheyes for 35 and sub 35 mm sensors dome selection will also to a degree determan image quality with those lenses.

     

    I thought the Sony 16 mm pancake lens with the fisheye adapter and the 100 mm (4.33 inch) Nauticam dome did a great job for the cost of the equipment involved.

     

    Phil Rudin

     

     

    How did you find the sharpness of the rectilinear 20mm equivalent add-on lens? How do you find the control ergonomics of this setup as compared to a traditional DSLR setup?

     

    Cheers

  19. I like add one more thing here. My 2 regular DSLR setup,d700 & d3, weights 44Kg in Perican 1650 case & I pay over charges

    almost every time I travel for diving. NEX-5 set was so small that I put complete housing(w/handle) & 3 nikonos lenses & one

    strobe+arms+clamps into my carry-on. I know which one I am going to carry if I am going to dive for just a day or two in the future,

    still not sacrificing the quality of picture. Housing was well balanced & has the best handle I ever had.

     

     

    Sam

    Edited by shchae
WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.