Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

55kgs! This is getting silly...

Started by Timmoranuk ·

  • 32Posts
  • 32Replies

Read-only discussion

55kgs! This is getting silly...

32 posts
  1. I have upcoming back to back liveaboard safaris and needed to pre-book an additional luggage allowance. The whole caboodle is now weighing in at 55kgs! When I say 'whole caboodle' I'm referring to ultra-lightweight dive kit where the only concession to extravagence is a pair of regulator sets and a set of twinning straps in case I need to push the boundaries a nad and 5kg of clothes. Otherwise its all photogs kit!

     

    Note to self: NO MORE TOYS!!!

  2. You are lucky man Tim, having so many toys ;)

  3. Wish I had your problems

  4. Its just hit 60kgs gross and thats with putting three first stages in my pockets...

  5. Crikey Tim you have been packing since the 21st of September I am surprised it hasn't hit a ton!!!

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  6. Yup - you must be doing it wrong.

     

    If Alex M can get inside half of this amount you have to question what of yours needs to go 'overboard' during this next trip - and Alex has always seemed to have had spares of the bits that I forgot !

     

    Paul C

    Edited by PRC
  7. Just keeping saying to yourself: "these are NOT toys". You'll feel tons better.....

     

    :drink:

  8. If Alex M can get inside half of this amount you have to question what of yours needs to go 'overboard' during this next trip - and Alex has always seemed to have had spares of the bits that I forgot !

     

    I've just checked in 55+kg and have another 20kg as hand luggage! And I am not even bringing a BC and reg to Canada (thanks Todd for the loan). Although that is all within my allowances.

     

    The trick is to know your allowances and pack to them (maxing them out). But ultimately, if you really need something you have to take it, even if it means being over weight and paying. There is no point compromising your trip. I guess the difficulty is knowing what you really need. Most people whose bags are over weight don't use half the stuff in them.

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  9. Most people whose bags are over weight don't use half the stuff in them.

     

    Clothing is so overrated. :drink:

     

    It has gotten to the point where I will skimp on things that I know I can just pick up. Still cannot believe I used to think my Nikonos, small ULCS tray and arms and one small Ike strobe was alot :)

  10. When I say 'whole caboodle' I'm referring to ultra-lightweight dive kit where the only concession to extravagence is a pair of regulator sets and a set of twinning straps in case I need to push the boundaries a nad and 5kg of clothes.

    5kg of clothes? Dive trips aren't fashion shows ya know? 1 pair speedos, 1 t-shirt and the clothes on your back is all you need :drink:

     

     

    The trick is to know your allowances and pack to them (maxing them out). But ultimately, if you really need something you have to take it, even if it means being over weight and paying. There is no point compromising your trip. I guess the difficulty is knowing what you really need. Most people whose bags are over weight don't use half the stuff in them.

    I sometimes go one further and arrange for the group I'm travelling with to bring bits and pieces of spare equipment. I carry spare strobes or housing, someone else carries the arms, someone else the extra ports (+ adapter for different housings), lenses, camera bodies etc. Of course, the person who drowned his own camera managed to drown my strobe in the spare housing. But the system still works sometimes :)

  11. 5kg of clothes? Dive trips aren't fashion shows ya know? 1 pair speedos, 1 t-shirt and the clothes on your back is all you need :drink:

     

    Speedos .. or perhaps something a little less disturbing! And NO not lycra shorts italian style.

     

    You want quick dry and stylish .. get some Birdwells!

  12. Yup - you must be doing it wrong.

     

    If Alex M can get inside half of this amount you have to question what of yours needs to go 'overboard' during this next trip - and Alex has always seemed to have had spares of the bits that I forgot !

     

    Paul C

     

    Well, this is my selfish big trip this year, all the others have been with CJ. So I'm making sure there's nothing left to chance. Back-ups of almost everything including housings, camera bodies and strobes (I've pinched his new NA-7D rig...). That'll pay dividends though as I can setup one w/a rig and the another for macro (though maybe I'm not going to shoot much macro at The Brothers, Elphinstone, Daedalus, Rocky and Zabargad...)

     

    As an aside, I've been using Samsonite upright roller cases rather than heavy and 'obvious' Pelis. Initially I stacked them with packing foam and cut out bespoke 'nests'. Now, I pack my stuff into medium sized lunch coolers made by Polar Gear. Chosen carefully they fit perfectly into the Samsonites, maximising the available space and providing adequate padding and protection and flexibility too. These coolers also offer a good storage solution on-board as hard cases tend to be packed away for the duration.

  13. Well, this is my selfish big trip this year, all the others have been with CJ. So I'm making sure there's nothing left to chance. Back-ups of almost everything including housings, camera bodies and strobes (I've pinched his new NA-7D rig...). That'll pay dividends though as I can setup one w/a rig and the another for macro (though maybe I'm not going to shoot much macro at The Brothers, Elphinstone, Daedalus, Rocky and Zabargad...)

     

    As an aside, I've been using Samsonite upright roller cases rather than heavy and 'obvious' Pelis. Initially I stacked them with packing foam and cut out bespoke 'nests'. Now, I pack my stuff into medium sized lunch coolers made by Polar Gear. Chosen carefully they fit perfectly into the Samsonites, maximising the available space and providing adequate padding and protection and flexibility too. These coolers also offer a good storage solution on-board as hard cases tend to be packed away for the duration.

     

     

    All seems a bit excessive to me. Or is it a case of CJ is really just a means of usually transporting all of your gear with his luggage allowance. I must speak to my wife about adopting a child or two.

     

    Have a good trip

     

    Stew

  14. Or is it a case of CJ is really just a means of usually transporting all of your gear with his luggage allowance. I must speak to my wife about adopting a child or two.

     

    LOL :drink:

     

    Have a great trip! And be sure to share some images soon!!

     

    Cheers

    Karel

  15. All seems a bit excessive to me. Or is it a case of CJ is really just a means of usually transporting all of your gear with his luggage allowance. I must speak to my wife about adopting a child or two.

     

    Don't adopt one for their baggage allowance, borrow one. Come to think of it, I could rent out CJ... :drink:

    Edited by Timmoranuk
  16. Don't adopt one for their baggage allowance, borrow one. Come to think of it, I could rent out CJ... :drink:

     

    I was actually hoping that you would adopt me Tim. I need a few more lenses and dome ports and christmas is coming up. lol

     

    Stew

  17. I actually did a liveaboard a couple of years ago with 1 T-Shirt and 1 pair of board shorts as my clothes 'allowance'. I'd also planned to buy my toiletries at the airport duty free (to save checked in allowance) but as I was late for the flight I didn't have time. Once I landed I was rushed onto the boat and we'd set sail within minutes of arriving. No one said anything while I was aboard, but I had to go buy some new clothes to wear once I hit shore as I had lots of stray dogs following me around for some reason....

    Edited by SimonSpear
  18. I just got shafted yesterday by Qatar Airways, for £120, and that was after negotiating them down from £200 after pointing out my pics in their current inflight magazine. I didn't even have dive kit apart from wetsuit, fins etc, minimal clothing. Just the camera gear came to 30kg + 11 in hand luggage. The problem is I do need it all I REALLY do......

  19. 5kg of clothes? Dive trips aren't fashion shows ya know? 1 pair speedos, 1 t-shirt and the clothes on your back is all you need :drink:

     

    Nothing worse than a full grown man walking around a boat in Speedos Drew. Boardshorts don't weigh much at all, I'm sure you could fit some in :)

  20. As an aside, I've been using Samsonite upright roller cases rather than heavy and 'obvious' Pelis.

    I just started traveling with these for my last two or three trips and found them to be excellent for my needs and are easily maneuvered .

     

    Furniture polish works really well at taking the luggage handling system marks and scuff off the luggage after the trip.

     

    Now all I have to do is cut back on what I put into them to stay under the airline weight allowances. :drink:

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.