Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

The worlds best dive destinations

Started by volkerbassen ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

The worlds best dive destinations

23 posts
  1. Hi All,

     

    I've been working on this project together with my wife for about 3 years now. This is the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfpwRLBAEMg filmed at the following locations; Raja Ampat, Sipadan, Komodo, Similand islands, French Polynesia (Fakarava & Rangiroa) Tonga (Ha'apai, Vava'u & Eua) Pemba Island, Kenya, South Africa (Gansbaai & Aliwal) Mexio (Holbox, Cozumel & Cenotes) The eventual DVD/BD will be sort of a 'visual guide' for divers. Since it's my first I would like to get some feedback & suggestions from you guys regarding my editing, choice of music, transitions, colors, choice of dive destinations (I plan to include Galapagos & Norway, Orcas next year) etc etc. Anything would be highly appreciated.

     

    Keep wet

     

    Volker

  2. Video embedded below!

     

     

    Adam

  3. Hi Volker!

     

    I think this clip is amazing. I haven't been to most of these locations and it's just wonderful to see them all in one video.

    What I would like is to know on each clip is that where is it filmed, rather than reading in the end from what locations is it gathered. Now I still can't be sure where are those places that I liked the most in You'r video.

     

    p.s. Music is spot on for me!

     

    Cheers

    Karel

  4. Excellent work Volker well done! I wish my wife would help me film rather than destroying hours of my footage with her strobes going off!! :D

     

    Out of interest what cameras were you filming with?

     

    Cheers, Simon

  5. Excellent work Volker well done! I wish my wife would help me film rather than destroying hours of my footage with her strobes going off!! :D

     

    Out of interest what cameras were you filming with?

     

    Cheers, Simon

    Hi Simon,

     

    Thank you for your kind remark, glad you like it, means a lot to me/us!

    I use a Z1 with a phenom housing, my wife is using a HC 9 with a L&M stingray housing.

    Kind regards

     

    Volker + Nimu

  6. Hi Karel,

     

    Thank you for your input!

    Yes, you are right, I'll add some text regarding the locations direct on the clips. The final DVD/BD will have 5-8 minutes footage from each of these locations, wetpixel has kindly offered me a press release once the DVD/BD is ready (in about 2-3 weeks) The proceeds from the sales of this DVD/BD will go to the East African Whale Shark Trust in order to conserve and spread awareness about these gentle giants in Kenya (where I live) I started the trust 6 years ago, if these things interests you (or anyone else) see our web site at www.giantsharks.org we also have a whale shark update on www.wildlifedirect.org which will give you more information regarding tagging expeditions that we've made and research in general.

     

    Kind regards

     

    Volker

     

    Hi Volker!

     

    I think this clip is amazing. I haven't been to most of these locations and it's just wonderful to see them all in one video.

    What I would like is to know on each clip is that where is it filmed, rather than reading in the end from what locations is it gathered. Now I still can't be sure where are those places that I liked the most in You'r video.

     

    p.s. Music is spot on for me!

     

    Cheers

    Karel

  7. I wish my wife would help me film rather than destroying hours of my footage with her strobes going off!! :lol:

    Cheers, Simon

     

    More trips on your own will help... Don't tell Zoe I said that :D

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  8. More trips on your own will help... Don't tell Zoe I said that :D

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

     

    LOL look what happens when I plan a trip on my own! You don't think these broken Metatarsals were an accident do you??? :lol:

  9. LOL look what happens when I plan a trip on my own! You don't think these broken Metatarsals were an accident do you??? :lol:

     

     

    LOL !!! Mate that thought never even passed my mind :D ... Tell her to shoot with natural/ ambient light any serious shooters will laugh at strobes, there sooooo last decade darling.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  10. Outstanding! I really enjoyed watching. You're taking on a massive responsibility though with your title. I would suggest that you might want to add some kelp diving, and/or maybe Cocos next year.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  11. Outstanding! I really enjoyed watching. You're taking on a massive responsibility though with your title. I would suggest that you might want to add some kelp diving, and/or maybe Cocos next year.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

    Hello Steve,

     

    Noted, am actually planning to shoot kelps off ZA, Regarding Cocos, my wife and I are actually arguing (which only happens the few moments we are above water :D) wether to go to Norway and film Orcas (my choice) while she wants to go to Cocos!

    (she'll probably win, she ALWAYS DOES!)

    At least we both agree on Galapagos, so that's up next.

     

    Kind regards

     

    Volker

  12. trying to watch it here but net it too slow :D

  13. The trouble with any 'best dive' list is that you could keep diving forever and someone would always still say, 'but what about xyz??'. I've got to admit that for me any list would not be complete without Palau in there.... not to mention Lembeh and ..... bah see what I mean?? :D

     

    Cheers, Simon

  14. Finally manged to have a look at it.

    Yep I'm jealous, all those different locations.

     

    Hey where was that Whale Shark tagging going on?

    Great job.

  15. Hi,

     

    I am planning to continue with this project until iv'e covered most top dive destinations, I know it will take time and it's a "tuff" job :lol: But somebody's got to do it :D

    Regarding the whale sharks you see being tagged, one is tagged with a acustic tag in Holbox/Mexico, while the other one is beeing tagged by me with a pop-off satelite archival tag off the coast of Kenya.

     

    Kind regards

     

    Volker

  16. I know it will take time and it's a "tuff" job :) But somebody's got to do it :D

     

     

    :lol:

  17. Outstanding! I really enjoyed watching. You're taking on a massive responsibility though with your title. I would suggest that you might want to add some kelp diving, and/or maybe Cocos next year.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

     

    Hey Steve,

    Waiting here in Roatan for the transport to the airport and tried to PM you here but I got shut out because I pm'd someone an hour ago. Strange. At any rate, good seeing you at the San Diego UnderSea Film Fest on the 17th. Hope you'll join us next summer. I wish I could have been there for Sat's show but we left very early that morning.

    Catch you later,

    Steve

    ps. I hate the humidity here.

  18. Noted, am actually planning to shoot kelps off ZA, Regarding Cocos, my wife and I are actually arguing (which only happens the few moments we are above water :D) wether to go to Norway and film Orcas (my choice) while she wants to go to Cocos!

    (she'll probably win, she ALWAYS DOES!)

    At least we both agree on Galapagos, so that's up next.

    Well she's wise then because it's only snorkeling and the visibility in Tysfjord is VERY iffy. Compound that with the fact that with the operators, you are not allowed to have fins or strobes without "special clearance." You'd do better elsewhere.

     

    As for your video, I suggest you upload a 720p version when you have a more complete project. 360 is just too small for a trailer, especially one where you want people to pay for a product.

  19. Well she's wise then because it's only snorkeling and the visibility in Tysfjord is VERY iffy. Compound that with the fact that with the operators, you are not allowed to have fins or strobes without "special clearance." You'd do better elsewhere.

     

    I think You can actually dive with them (if You are lucky enough to encounter them) on a safary organized by stromsholmen dive center.

     

    Cheers

    Karel

  20. Karel, thanks for getting me to clear up that hastily typed reply.

    Yes, one can use scuba with the orca and you'll get a pass or 2. But when the herring are around, regulator noise just turned them off, which is why snorkel/freediving is the best way to do it. One of our regular members, Espen has been many more times than I have and can probably chime in. I've been to both locations and had better encounters in Tysfjord up north. I also remember that whole fins thing after I went to Stromsholmen, which is why it was the first thing that I remembered about orcas in norway. :D

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.