Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

D7000 noise performance

Started by cor ·

  • 45Posts
  • 45Replies

Read-only discussion

D7000 noise performance

45 posts
  1. Well AF is a blessing and a curse for video, Jeff. If you use full time AF, you run the risk of the dreaded "search for subject" that video users hate. Fish swims across the plane while you're focused on a sperm whale, opps focus is on fish now. Or a salp or particulate floats at you while you're chasing sperm whales mating... $@##!!! the focus is on the floating crap.

    Old eyes may be a bitch, but electronic eyes can only be bitched at but not save that shot. Focus at 1-2m away and let DOF handle the rest.

    You may well be right; I think the AF needs to be tested underwater. Having said that, it seems like there is more flexibility in using AF than I have with my Sony HR12 L&M set-up. On the D7000 AF can be turned on and off easily using the normal AF lever, the type of AF to include face tracking, wide and normal area AF, and subject tracking can be set while in Live View mode, and then using the multiselector the focus point can be changed on the fly. So effectively one could use the AF to set and focus on a focus point if needed and then turned off if desired. This should work similarly to the way I set my menus to use my AF lock button on my D700 to fix a point of focus and then have no AF when I let go of the AF lock button. Having that amount of control (if it works underwater) could make AF more useful than I am used to with a regular videocam. I hope housing manufacturers take note of this because changing AF-area mode requires depressing an AF-mode button set within the normal AF on/off lever.

     

    Update:

    Played with the AF this morning; seems that the AF does allow you to move the focus point on the fly during live view and video shooting. Do other videocams or VDSLR's allow this?

    Edited by loftus
  2. No Jeff and so the subject tracking AF mode is an interesting function. However, with lower contrast subjects and other intruding subjects jumping into frame, I'd be impressed if Nikon managed to design an AF system that 3 big video companies couldn't do in over 20 years. Underwater is just a beast designers haven't tackled. But with Nikon's underwater history and Canon's attention with the 8-15L, maybe all is not lost for us UW shooters. ;)

  3. No Jeff and so the subject tracking AF mode is an interesting function. However, with lower contrast subjects and other intruding subjects jumping into frame, I'd be impressed if Nikon managed to design an AF system that 3 big video companies couldn't do in over 20 years. Underwater is just a beast designers haven't tackled. But with Nikon's underwater history and Canon's attention with the 8-15L, maybe all is not lost for us UW shooters. ;)

     

    With the 7d and stills theres a setting where you can decide how sensitive the constant AF tracking is if something closer suddenly comes into frame, dunno if Nikon has something similar. If you have constant AF and something like that, maybe things would work out OK?

     

    Sounds like things are getting there, just might need a few more iterations.

     

    Otara

  4. Quick Question: I understand from reading some early reports that the focus points on the D7000 can only be changed via Menu.

     

    This is pretty bogus for me, if its true. I've been shooting a D200 forever, and I use the thumb wheel to select focus points - often changing them several times on a single subject as it moves, or as I move in the surge, or for different artistic effects.

     

    Is it true - with the D7000 I need to take my face off the VF, hit a button a few times, go to a menu to move the focus point?

     

     

    Thanks

     

    -K

  5. Quick Question: I understand from reading some early reports that the focus points on the D7000 can only be changed via Menu.

     

    This is pretty bogus for me, if its true. I've been shooting a D200 forever, and I use the thumb wheel to select focus points - often changing them several times on a single subject as it moves, or as I move in the surge, or for different artistic effects.

     

    Is it true - with the D7000 I need to take my face off the VF, hit a button a few times, go to a menu to move the focus point?

     

     

    Thanks

     

    -K

    K,

    You will need another reason not to spend your money on a D7000. You can go to the nikonusa.com site and download the D7000 user manual. Check p.51. You can use the multi-selctor just like on your D200.

    Bob

  6. Quick Question: I understand from reading some early reports that the focus points on the D7000 can only be changed via Menu.

     

    This is pretty bogus for me, if its true. I've been shooting a D200 forever, and I use the thumb wheel to select focus points - often changing them several times on a single subject as it moves, or as I move in the surge, or for different artistic effects.

     

    Is it true - with the D7000 I need to take my face off the VF, hit a button a few times, go to a menu to move the focus point?

     

     

    Thanks

     

    -K

    I can confirm that the thumb wheel works as described in the manual; appears to work with Live View video shooting as well.

  7. Ele's arrived on Friday, although I have not been to the shop to collect it yet (she's away, so I didn't want the temptation to play).

     

    A little bird told me that housings might be sooner than we think...

     

    Alex

  8. Ele's arrived on Friday, although I have not been to the shop to collect it yet (she's away, so I didn't want the temptation to play).

     

    Your reserve and mature action is highly disappointing :)

  9. OK, my resolve weakened. It is now sitting on my desk in its box. But I am determined not to open it.

     

    But I will be doing an underwater review as soon as poss.

     

    Alex

  10. But I am determined not to open it.

     

    5-4-3-2-1 Bet it is opened now....

  11. Nope. I am a patient person. Also it is Ele's camera, so I want her to have the fun of opening it. Although I will own the housing and if I like the setup I'll buy a body for me too. Although may wait until after the expect spring D800 announcement (to see the specs of that).

     

    I had to collect it because they would only hold until today (there are quite a few people chasing them).

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. Update - just opened the box - to show to Ele on Skype (didn't put a battery in). Now put away again and on top shelf!

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  12. Camerus interruptus!

  13. Hey gang -- new member here, but I thought I'd share some of my experiences with the D7000 so far...

     

    I migrated to the D7000 from a D90, and so far the difference is night and day. The autofocus is better, the high iso performance is epic, the dynamic range is higher, the overall feel is better, and the video is absolutely spectacular! I am extremely excited to get this bad boy underwater, and like Alex, I shouldn't be waiting too much longer :)

     

    Otara -- the AF tracking speed can be adjusted and works quite well

  14. Ah, I am in desperate need of downsizing my D2x and the reviews of the D7000 are so good! To wait for a fictitious D800 or not to wait, that is the question. Have any manufacturers announced release dates for D7000 housings?

    Edited by Rocha
  15. Ah, I am in desperate need of downsizing my D2x and the reviews of the D7000 are so good! To wait for a fictitious D800 or not to wait, that is the question. Have any manufacturers announced release dates for D7000 housings?

    I think there are only two possible reasons to wait for anything;

    Do you want to go full frame? Owning both, the only reason I am staying with full frame at the moment is my eyes prefer the larger viewfinder; in every other way, at least for underwater photography, I think this camera is as good or even better than my D700. And of course it's smaller, with a smaller housing than the D800 will be.

    And the second question is do you think you want expanded video specs that are likely to be in a D800, or whatever model replaces the D300s?

    A little birdie tells me there will be housings within the next couple of months.

    Edited by loftus
  16. p.s. Update - just opened the box - to show to Ele on Skype (didn't put a battery in). Now put away again and on top shelf!

     

    :) Slippery slope Alex.....

  17. It's still in the box.

     

    Alex

  18. I think there are only two possible reasons to wait for anything;

    Do you want to go full frame? Owning both, the only reason I am staying with full frame at the moment is my eyes prefer the larger viewfinder; in every other way, at least for underwater photography, I think this camera is as good or even better than my D700. And of course it's smaller, with a smaller housing than the D800 will be.

    And the second question is do you think you want expanded video specs that are likely to be in a D800, or whatever model replaces the D300s?

    A little birdie tells me there will be housings within the next couple of months.

     

    Video is not a consideration for me, nice to have it but not a deal breaker. Neither is full frame. I do want a camera with AF at least as good as the D2x though, how does the D7000 compare to the D2x in focus speed and accuracy? Also, how is it's viewfinder (again compared to the D2x)?

  19. My D2X is out on loan at the moment. But Ele is back on Monday - so I will be able to get my mitts on the D7000 then - and I still use the D2X enough to have a good pretty feel for a comparison.

     

    Of course UW AF can be very different. There are many cameras that have excellent AF in bright white light and fall apart in darker green/blue conditions. The D2X was particularly good for low-light, low-contrast AF. It is something I will look for in detail when I get the D7000 underwater. When that will be, is still not clear.

     

    Alex

  20. I'll also have a D7000 next week, and currently shoot a D2xs so I'll also be able to do some comparisons.

     

    I aim to get it underwater (by hook or by crook!) soon too!

     

    Adam

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.