Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Just purchased a Canon 7D am I heading in the right direction?

Started by miniman ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Just purchased a Canon 7D am I heading in the right direction?

23 posts
  1. Would anyone recommend shooting two Ikelite DS-161 movie strobes with a dual sync cord with the 7D in a housing that could provide an Ike or Nikonos bulkhead? Would they provide enough light with two 15W/90 degree video lights for 7D video? Or would you recommend a separate set of video lights?

     

    Mike

     

    Hi Mermaidabouttown,

     

    Steve is correct, sync cord bulkheads are definitely available for Nauticam, in Nikonos, Ikelite and Canon S6 styles. I shoot 7D with sync cords and Z-240 all the time, but also have the option to switch back to fiber if I want TTL.

     

    And, something new, we are also about to release a dual (splitter) fiber optic cable as well. Since the Nauticam has two fiber bulkheads, you wouldn't really need it; but if the mood struck you could use it to shoot up to 4 strobes via fiber.

     

    Cheers,

    Chris

  2. Would anyone recommend shooting two Ikelite DS-161 movie strobes with a dual sync cord with the 7D in a housing that could provide an Ike or Nikonos bulkhead? Would they provide enough light with two 15W/90 degree video lights for 7D video? Or would you recommend a separate set of video lights?

     

    Mike

    Hi Mike,

     

    DS-161 is a terrific strobe, but imo you need more light to be worthwhile for video. New LED video lights are springing up like mushrooms after a rain these days, so there are lots of good choices out there.

     

    With a Nauticam housing (as with others too) you have the option of either an Ikelite or Nikonos style bulkhead.

     

    Also... very interestingly, Ikelite was showing a new product at DEMA that will let you shoot their strobes via fiber. I actually have a couple of them in my possession and intend to test it as soon as I can get offshore....

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

  3. Hi Mike,

     

    DS-161 is a terrific strobe, but imo you need more light to be worthwhile for video. New LED video lights are springing up like mushrooms after a rain these days, so there are lots of good choices out there.

     

    With a Nauticam housing (as with others too) you have the option of either an Ikelite or Nikonos style bulkhead.

     

    Also... very interestingly, Ikelite was showing a new product at DEMA that will let you shoot their strobes via fiber. I actually have a couple of them in my possession and intend to test it as soon as I can get offshore....

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

     

     

    Thanks Chris!

     

    Hi Mike,

     

    DS-161 is a terrific strobe, but imo you need more light to be worthwhile for video. New LED video lights are springing up like mushrooms after a rain these days, so there are lots of good choices out there.

     

    With a Nauticam housing (as with others too) you have the option of either an Ikelite or Nikonos style bulkhead.

     

    Also... very interestingly, Ikelite was showing a new product at DEMA that will let you shoot their strobes via fiber. I actually have a couple of them in my possession and intend to test it as soon as I can get offshore....

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

     

     

    Thank you Chris!

    Edited by Scuba307
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.