Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon D7000 Underwater

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 140Posts
  • 140Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon D7000 Underwater

140 posts
  1. I have been using d7000 for a while now but never had a chance to take it for a dip, i guess need to learn swimming for that first :) . But yes this is great camera and looks really comfortable in that Housing. I still believe that Nikon builds one of the best cameras in the world.

    Great pics buddy, keep them coming.

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  2. If anyone is interested, I posted a sample underwater video taken with the D7000 to the video forum.

     

    D7000 Footage

  3. Hi there,

     

    Any news on Wetpixel's comparison of the various D7000 housings?

     

    I'm looking forward to read :(

  4. If, like me, you look at those 8 tiny screws under the latches of the Nauticam D7000 housing and think, " When I come to remove these in ... years, those heads will shear off even with the slightest bit of corrosion in the screw holes..." Here's the fix.

    They are star drive or Torx head screws, so you need a T6 Torx drive to fit them. (Any good tool store should have them. Mine look like Allen keys but star shaped.) I filled the hole with silicone grease and replaced the screws.

    I don't think you need any space for seawater around screws like that.

  5. Hi Nicool,

     

    The Wetpixel D7000 housing review has started!

     

    We have had one housing supplied already and it is being tested as we speak.

     

    We will keep testing housings as they become available. I think the full review is likely to be about a month away.

     

    Adam

  6. Hi Nicool,

     

    The Wetpixel D7000 housing review has started!

     

    We have had one housing supplied already and it is being tested as we speak.

     

    We will keep testing housings as they become available. I think the full review is likely to be about a month away.

     

    Adam

    thanks Adam! It'll help me to wait :)

  7. I finally had the chance to try the Nauticam D7000 last week and I am impressed with its quality. The gear ratio used in the autofocus/shutter is very smartly designed, giving an excellent autofocus feeling before releasing the shutter.

    In general, controling this housing gives me the closest feeling to what it feels like using a bare SLR on land. The precision of the internal controls is outstanding.

    These are some shots of the testing day.

     

    PHOTO_13067292_86514_5156261_main.jpg

     

    _CVB6678.jpg

     

    _CVB6669.jpg

     

    1p.jpg

  8. A couple of shots taken with the Nauticam and the D7000 last week in Egypt. Very very quiet there right now, we didn't see a single other diver on the reefs, wonderful for us but quite concerning for the welfare of the local people.

     

    Anyway, I enjoyed the D7000 so much, my Canon 7D is now going up for sale !

     

    NA-D7000, Tokina 10-17mm with +1.4x teleconvertor and minidome.

     

    5474298672_f5cc1fcae1_o.jpg

    5474298382_6bea986ca2_b.jpg

     

    NA-D7000, 60mm macro

     

    5474297840_5d9a0209b9_b.jpg

  9. Anyway, I enjoyed the D7000 so much, my Canon 7D is now going up for sale !

     

    Nice shots. Interested to hear why you would prefer the D7000 over a 7D

    Edited by loftus
  10. I REALLY liked the 3d focusing mode that Alex M discusses in his commentary. So simple to track a moving subject in the frame and maintain focus on it. Makes shooting moving subjects so much more simple. This anemonefish for example, the camera just followed it around keeping focus. Amazing.

     

    5474299146_9b2829d94e_b.jpg

  11. I REALLY liked the 3d focusing mode that Alex M discusses in his commentary. So simple to track a moving subject in the frame and maintain focus on it. Makes shooting moving subjects so much more simple. This anemonefish for example, the camera just followed it around keeping focus. Amazing.

     

    That is interesting to hear, Alex - cause most of us don't get to try both Canons and Nikons.

     

    Alex

  12. That is interesting to hear, Alex - cause most of us don't get to try both Canons and Nikons.

     

    Alex

     

     

     

    Hi Alex. I really like your reviews.

     

    You should try a canon system (7D) for a week and tell us your opinion.

  13. I have shot the 7D for a dive (Alex T's one, actually) and it is very nice. And I did two dives with the 5D in the Cayman Islands in January. So I can make a Canon work now!

     

    But I wouldn't want to review Canon cameras. I am just not familiar enough with them - others would produce more beneficial reviews.

     

    Alex

  14. I meant to post this last month when we shot it, but some sample video footage from the D7000. These are just raw clips (no post, other than uploaded to Youtube and whatever that does the footage).

     

     

    Mainly filmed by Elly Wray - with a small contribution by me. Shot with D7000 + 10-17mm + Magic filter, Nauticam housing and Nauticam 4.5" dome.

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  15. Hi,

     

     

    I am planning to buy a housing for my D7000. Dont know what manufacturer yet.

     

    I am sitting on a tight budget.

    Is it a good alternative to buy a 18-55 mm lens, so I can shoot both macro and WA.

    Instead of buying a macro and WA lens imediality.

     

    Or is another lens better to have a litte bit of both worlds ?

     

     

    Ps. Is there more news about when the review of all the housings will be available ?

  16. Is it a good alternative to buy a 18-55 mm lens, so I can shoot both macro and WA.

    Instead of buying a macro and WA lens imediality.

    Or is another lens better to have a litte bit of both worlds ?

     

    Sigma 17-70mm!

     

    Ps. Is there more news about when the review of all the housings will be available ?

     

    I think the limiting factor is housings not being available yet - more than anything else.

     

    Alex

  17. Great bit of video there Alex. Can I ask what general settings did you use?

     

    Regards Mark

  18. Great bit of video there Alex. Can I ask what general settings did you use?

    Regards Mark

     

    I love to have some fancy answer for you, Mark. But I simply put the filter on, white balanced on the wreck and then hit record on the camera. I am pretty use we used manual focus and possibly manual exposure? If I had posted it at the time it would have been easier to remember. I then gave the camera to Elly and she just continued using the same settings (as this was her first chance trying the camera).

     

    I take shooting photos seriously, but video is just for fun for me.

     

    Alex

  19. Thanks Alex.

     

    I am the same regarding shooting stills and video for fun. But looking at the video that comes out of the current range of DSLR maybe I can make something more out of it that for fun.

     

    Regards Mark

  20. Hi,

    This topic has started a while ago.

    But i red some interesting things about the live view of the D7000.

    I have a few questions where it would be nice to have an answer...., Especially from Alex :-)

    But everyone feel free.

     

    I had to converge to a full face mask; because i need to stand in communication with my buddy.(i have a visual handicap)

     

    I have an inon 45 viewfinder, but with a full face mask it is not easy to see the viewfinder.

     

    Takes the D7000 the same quality of pictures in live view and non live view, autofocus evenly good ?

     

    Is this with an external monitor the same ? Can there be mounted an external monitor to the D7000 ?

    Is it a good camera for video especially macro ?

    Edited by PhotographingBlind
Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.