Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Are video people smarter than stills people?

Started by loftus ·

  • 80Posts
  • 80Replies

Read-only discussion

Are video people smarter than stills people?

80 posts
  1. And they speak multiple languages as well... :D

     

     

    Google translate... "Une grande aide pour tout cinéaste"

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  2. ;)

     

    After buying a book by Scubazoo productions entitled 'Reef' (which comes with a gorgeous little DVD), I have come to the conclusion that they go hand in hand. Both have their place and both make art. Both are equal IMHO.

     

    A great picture or a great dvd- just wants you to get in there - and do it for yourself.

    Peter Scoones, Ron Taylor, Mike deGruy, Martha Holmes etc.

    They got me in the water.

     

    Martin Edge, Alex Mustard, Dave Doubilet, E Cheng, Nigel Motyer etc etc and all the other fantastic picture makers too numerous to mention on wetpixel.....you guys give me the reasons to take a camera underwater.

     

    So....

     

    to all the talented videographers and the still picture takers out there- I salute you - you are both magic makers.

     

    Continue to inspire and enlighten this mere mortal through your eyes.

    The underwater world needs you both.

     

    :D

  3. Making images underwater is about as self-indulgent as you can get - unless they have a purpose beyond pure personal gratification. I think we are all pretty stupid to spend so much of our resources on such an activity to produce results that few other people will ever see. That said, I just bought a smaller Macbook Pro so that it fits more easily in my bag!

    So are videographers smarter than stills photographers? Is one rich chimp smarter than another?

     

    Remember, man thought he was more intelligent than dolphins because he built the pyramids and our fine banking system while the dolphin simply messed about in the sea. The dolphin thought they were more intelligent for precisely the same reason!

    Edited by John Bantin
  4. I thiought I was the one who put silly threads up!? Nice of you to help out Loftus!

  5. If man thinks he is more intelligent than any other living creature on earth, then heaven only knows what woman thinks? Hey wait... ;)

     

    Speaking of chimps, wiith high res video cameras coming out like the Epic-X, stills only will be going the way of the Bonobo chimps...population in rapid decline!

     

    And now that JB is in da house, it must be said that video now owns porn! :D

  6. And now that JB is in da house, it must be said that video now owns porn! :D

    I'd like to take this opportunity to tell everyone that at the time I contributed my art to Penthouse Magazine, other contributors included The Marquis of Bath and Kingsly Amis. It was not porn in the modern sense - and where do we find this video porn? Can you tell me the URL?

    Edited by John Bantin
  7. :D Soon this thread will be NWS...........

    Marquis of Bath, Marquis de Sade...all the same to me

    Nothing is more fun than irreverent banter

    Edited by loftus
  8. :D Soon this thread will be NWS...........

    Marquis of Bath, Marquis de Sade...all the same to me

    Nothing is more fun than irreverent banter

     

     

    It's difficult to explain about the aristocracy of the Old World. Are you in America? I thought so! I noticed that news reports on American television (seen whilst in Las Vegas for DEMA) mention THE Queen. I should like to point out that it's OUR Queen. You've got that terrorist (sorry - I meant revolutionary) Paul Revere and his mates to thank for that.

    Edited by John Bantin
  9. Oh man from a bad start this thread is going downhill so fast.

     

    Keep it up lads - soon be down at a level where I can contribute.

     

    Marquis of Bath - is that the old bloke we see on the telly now and again with very strange (LSD inspired?) taste in clothing ?

     

    Paul C

  10. Well, if you can demonstrate that shooting video is better (in all aspect, sharing, selling, having fun, keeping time for other things, be happy, etc..) than shooting photos, then video people have to be smarter :D

  11. It's difficult to explain about the aristocracy of the Old World. Are you in America? I thought so! I noticed that news reports on American television (seen whilst in Las Vegas for DEMA) mention THE Queen. I should like to point out that it's OUR Queen. You've got that terrorist (sorry - I meant revolutionary) Paul Revere and his mates to thank for that.

    John...just to clear up any confusion; I am a Souf Efriken, schooled in the ways of the British empire (met Charlie once actually when he was opening the new Queens Park Subway station), also a Cherman passport carrying LEGAL American alien. Oh.. and I forgot also a Jewish atheist.

    No wonder I cannot follow this video stuff. :D

  12. John...just to clear up any confusion; I am a Souf Efriken, schooled in the ways of the British empire (met Charlie once actually when he was opening the new Queens Park Subway station), also a Cherman passport carrying LEGAL American alien. Oh.. and I forgot also a Jewish atheist.

    No wonder I cannot follow this video stuff. :D

     

     

    You sound OK to me - but not a Dutchman Souf Efriken?

  13. ...just to clear up any confusion

     

     

    Clear as mud :D

  14. You sound OK to me - but not a Dutchman Souf Efriken?

    I grew up being called a 'rooinek'

    :D

  15. I'd like to take this opportunity to tell everyone that at the time I contributed my art to Penthouse Magazine, other contributors included The Marquis of Bath and Kingsly Amis. It was not porn in the modern sense - and where do we find this video porn? Can you tell me the URL?

     

     

    Yes of course John. Everyone reads Penthouse and Playboy for the articles only. I never meant to insinuate anything else but that. :D Nothing in those mags were erotic at all.

     

    But I do have to ask this... and I can start another thread if you think this off topic... what is porn in the modern sense? ;)

     

    It's difficult to explain about the aristocracy of the Old World. Are you in America? I thought so! I noticed that news reports on American television (seen whilst in Las Vegas for DEMA) mention THE Queen. I should like to point out that it's OUR Queen. You've got that terrorist (sorry - I meant revolutionary) Paul Revere and his mates to thank for that.

     

    But we gave you our queen, Madonna and look what you brits did with her? Screwed up accent and some ancient mystic stuff. But feel free to keep our queen as well.

     

    No wonder I cannot follow this video stuff. :P

     

    Oh shame, Chyna! (in my best ahfreekahns accent)

    Edited by Drew
  16. Getting this discussion back on track!!!!

     

    I think the issue is competence not intelligence. These days it is relatively to get an inexpensive P&S rig and take some snaps underwater. Frankly, even those poorly composed, poorly focused bule-green images will wow the non diver. The same really can't be said for video yet......but it is on its way.

     

    What I think is that a still photographer needs an eye and a video photographer needs a muse.......and both are limited by their equipment and their technique.

     

    In my less than humble view it is easier to develop an eye for a great still because one can simply snap off hunderds of shots these days, evaluate the results and learn from your mistake. Ultimate your eye outperforms your equipment and you begin the never ending journey to get better......better eye, better technique, better equipment. This process is relatively easy to enter into as we all know.

     

    For video you need to tell a story. True, a swimming frogfish needs no story but most great videos tell a story. A story requires a muse. I have had only one muse so far. My wife shot a relatively poor sequence of a manta ray. I found a 2:30 clip and set it to music. I timed it so theat the Manta apeared to be dancing to the music. No talent, no technique but beople who got it loved it. Unfortunately i don't have another muse so I am not grinding away, taking clips and trying to get better like I do with stills.

     

    OTOH, I have a cheap Sanyo DVD-HD2000 video camera and I just purchased a Patima housing. Maybe I'll join the darkside yet.

     

    Regards.

     

    PS: I apologize for a rational post in this wonderful thread.

  17. Getting this discussion back on track!!!!

     

    I think the issue is competence not intelligence.

     

    Tell that to some on the video forums :D

    Frankly, even those poorly composed, poorly focused bule-green images will wow the non diver. The same really can't be said for video yet.

     

    Have you been to Antibes/Marseille/Dolphin prison??? you should see some of the entries :P

     

    What I think is that a still photographer needs an eye and a video photographer needs a muse.......and both are limited by their equipment and their technique.

     

    In my less than humble view it is easier to develop an eye for a great still because one can simply snap off hunderds of shots these days, evaluate the results and learn from your mistake.

     

    We both need both! and I have seen images from people with amazing camera's(video/stills) that have just about developed Gills through their time in the water and still cannot get basic buoyancy/composition right ... ;)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  18. Getting this discussion back on track!!!!

     

    PS: I apologize for a rational post in this wonderful thread.

     

    DO NOT LET THAT HAPPEN AGAIN.

  19. It's difficult to explain about the aristocracy of the Old World. Are you in America? I thought so! I noticed that news reports on American television (seen whilst in Las Vegas for DEMA) mention THE Queen. I should like to point out that it's OUR Queen. You've got that terrorist (sorry - I meant revolutionary) Paul Revere and his mates to thank for that.

     

    Whoa there big guy! :D

     

    She's not all yours! ;)

     

    She's still known as "Queen of Canada" in the most parts of the northern half of this continent! :P:D

  20. Canada - which state is that in again ?

     

    Paul C

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.