Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Pelagos

Started by Rafa Herrero ·

  • 31Posts
  • 31Replies

Read-only discussion

Pelagos

31 posts
  1. thats really amazing, I really slipped out a spontanous "wow" at the first shot of 15+ dolphins together, only to realise later in the video the same thing happened with a pod of pilot whales. Really great.

     

    just like some others commented. What is the chance you will see some of this if you go to the Canary Islands?

  2. The open waters are that: a day is a desert and another day are full of life. The Pilots whales are resident groups and you can see all year. For me the secret is to be patient and try to arouse their curiosity. Sure many of you have not appreciated the image of the ziphio of Blanville , it is not very good, they are very shy animals that spend less than 10 percent of his life on the surface.

     

    Thank all of you for so many nice words!

    Edited by Rafa Herrero
  3. Well sorry Rafa, but the Blainville beaked whale can be sighted in the Hawaii and a couple of other places :P. May be if you color corrected that one shot, it'd be more noticeable :D I couldn't tell from the coloration or jawline.

    For me it's the behavior of the pilots that impressed me. The shots of them looking into the camera isn't something I like but the touch play of that long shot... even though it's short, it is still a nice catch. The mother and calf clip was also nice, but would've been awesome if you had a wider shot of them swimming past for a closeup.

  4. Hi Drew,

    but the Blainville beaked whale can be sighted in the Hawaii and a couple of other places

     

    But is it possible to film them underwater?. In the Canary Islands is really hard.

     

    I appreciate your words, an interesting point of view. :D

  5. Don't worry about Drew Rafa - he's like the grumpy school teacher who always has to find some fault in his pupils work!

     

    I think the overwhelming opinion is that your film was outstanding. I actually don't think I've ever seen so much acclaim for a video posted here - well done :D

     

    Cheers, Simon

  6. Don't worry about Drew Rafa - he's like the grumpy school teacher who always has to find some fault in his pupils work!

     

    Cheers, Simon

     

     

    :D Calm down Spear or you will be made to stay behind after class :P

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  7. But is it possible to film them underwater?. In the Canary Islands is really hard.

    As far as I know, most of the beaked whale stuff (nat geo's critter cam wild chronicles show for eg.) were pole camed in the Bahamas. I know marine biologists have stuff with Blainvilles out in the big island of Hawaii and I think Nan Hauser of the CCRC is still working with beaked whales in general out of the Cook Islands. I know they have inwater SD shots of beaked whales, but if they don't who would? :D

     

    Don't worry about Drew Rafa - he's like the grumpy school teacher who always has to find some fault in his pupils work!

    Well, Rafa wanted extra recognition of the Blainville shot, which I'm sure he spent a lot of time trying. It was a tongue in cheek comment to do a bit of color correction to highlight the whale. The thing is that Rafa knows he has good stuff and isn't too worried about comments from a guy on the internet.

  8. Lovely, just lovely!!

    Tom

  9. Great work!!!

  10. WOW!

  11. Thank you very much to each of you for your words :)

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.