Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Dilemma - D7000 now or wait for D300s successor

Started by sasdasdaf ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Dilemma - D7000 now or wait for D300s successor

24 posts
  1. I guess the other way to look at it is if you get a D400 with better build, better AF and some better video settings (higher frame rate is full HD) how much longer would you wait for it - if it has the same sensor as the D7000?

     

    Alex

     

    I picked one up at my local camera shop this past weekend. My initial thought is it's too small for me to hold comfortably as a topside camera. It's built like my D200 just smaller. Maybe the MB11 (or whatever it is) battery pack would help. While playing around with live view for the first time, I find it focuses very slowly, even is decent light. That won't be an issue because I like looking through a viewfinder. Holding focus while shooting video in low light? Forget about it! It also records the sound of the lens focusing which sounds like a lot of clicks. Maybe I'll just say it's dolphin sonar...

  2. John,

     

    Not to damped you new camera lust (I suffer from the same), the D300 is a splendid camera. Do you need video? Other than video, what beyond the D300 do you need?

    Bob

     

    It's the video lust, I admit it :) Well, and the high ISO. The D300 is pretty good in that respect, but the D7000 will undoubtedly be much better for those existing light photos of a shipwreck. Actually my big move over this next year is probably switching from electrical sync cord to optical strobes which will necessitate a new housing. Since I'm replacing virtually everything I will want to upgrade to the most current body.

     

    I'm fine with DX myself, so I probably won't upgrade to FX, but can I wait for a D400? We'll see.

    Edited by johnspierce
  3. It's the video lust, I admit it :) Well, and the high ISO. The D300 is pretty good in that respect, but the D7000 will undoubtedly be much better for those existing light photos of a shipwreck. Actually my big move over this next year is probably switching from electrical sync cord to optical strobes which will necessitate a new housing. Since I'm replacing virtually everything I will want to upgrade to the most current body.

     

    I'm fine with DX myself, so I probably won't upgrade to FX, but can I wait for a D400? We'll see.

    NAS!

    NAS

    From Nikonians Wiki - FAQs, Photo Glossary, Good Photo Locations, Help

    Jump to: navigation, search

    N. A. S. or Nikon Acquisition Syndrome. It is manifested by a feverish desire to own everything and anything which has a Nikon logo. Five decades of research have found no cure, not even acute pauperism, a heavy handed spouse, or hypnosis work. Post-hypnotic suggestions such as "Will it make you a better photographer?" get soon discarded as irrelevant when not idiotic, making the victim immune to common vaccines such as logic, harsh home remedies and even witchcraft. Nikonians is considered by many the best NAS support group in the world.

     

    Bob (Don't tell my SWMBO, She Who Must Be Obeyed).

  4. NAS!

    NAS

    From Nikonians Wiki - FAQs, Photo Glossary, Good Photo Locations, Help

    Jump to: navigation, search

    N. A. S. or Nikon Acquisition Syndrome. It is manifested by a feverish desire to own everything and anything which has a Nikon logo. Five decades of research have found no cure, not even acute pauperism, a heavy handed spouse, or hypnosis work. Post-hypnotic suggestions such as "Will it make you a better photographer?" get soon discarded as irrelevant when not idiotic, making the victim immune to common vaccines such as logic, harsh home remedies and even witchcraft. Nikonians is considered by many the best NAS support group in the world.

     

    Bob (Don't tell my SWMBO, She Who Must Be Obeyed).

     

     

    TOTALLY true. Actually, I'm trying to talk the spouse into doing one more week long liveaboard trip than we normally do in 2011, so that may abate any further N.A.S. until 2012. But hey, I'd rather be shootin' than buyin'...

     

    Alex is NOT helping me by filling up his Cayman workshop and Manatee photo trip so fast. Next year I need to be more "proactive" :)

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.