2003 has shown us a pretty amazing tide change in underwater photography. Consumer camera are now the system of choice for uw-photo beginners. DSLR's are fast replacing housed film cameras on the dive boats I have been on.
So what does 2004 have in store from us? I'll leave this thread open to editing up until December 31st and close it at the first of the year.
Here are some of my predictions, and I'd love to hear yours!
1) There will be 4 full-frame cameras on the market by the end of 2004:
Canon 1Ds and its upgrade model
Kodak 14n
Nikon F6
Fuji S3pro
Aquatica, Seacam, Ikelite, and Subal, UK-Germany, and possibly Nexus will all have a housing for one of more of these cameras.
2) Starting with the Olympus 5060, the OEM consumer camera housings will have interchangable ports as an option, allowing the use of Oly, Nikon, Canon wideangle converters.
3) Housed TTL flashes will start off strong, but will fade out by the end of 2004 as digital TTL strobes become available.
4) Underwater photo enthusiasts will be able to purchase a DSLR body for $699 and a starter housing sans ports for $1,000
5) "One Minute" printing will become available at some of the bigger dive shops (Ocean Frontiers, Jacks Dive Locker, etc) and on the better live-aboards.
6) The major underwater photo societies will all add digital photo contests, both for yearly contests, as well as smaller monthly contests. Eric and Herb will keep winning them :-P
7) I'll post more as I think of them.
Cheers
James