Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

2004 UW-Photo Predictions

Started by james ·

  • 33Posts
  • 33Replies

Read-only discussion

2004 UW-Photo Predictions

33 posts
  1. In about 3 years time, just as the ultimate underwater camera system is developed there will be nothing left living in the Sea.......... other than us lot!

     

    We will turn to using robot fish to populate the oceans. We will sit at home controlling our pet ROF (Remote Operated Fish) to roam the Seas to find other ROF users. We shall communicate and compete through our ROF (Fish on-line!) The technology of ROFs will rapidly advance. The most advanced models will fetch a high blackmarket price and will be hunted by too many Fishermen.

    The ROF will progress to self replicate, eventually through the cource of the Cybernetic evolution>revolution we may in our present time be visted by .........

    The Turbot-nator.

     

     

    :D

  2. all you need to get wireless is a smallish window on the housing made of polycarbonate against which you can place a pick-up receiver.

  3. The ROF will progress to self replicate, eventually through the cource of the Cybernetic evolution>revolution we may in our present time be visted by .........

    The Turbot-nator.

     

    ... that will become govenour of california ;-)

  4. Interesting reading on this topic at Pop Photo.

     

    This one is specific to Canon's direction.

     

    Sounds like anything that replaces the 1D would most likely be full frame. If you upsize the 1D CCD to FF, you get 6.8MP, which seems like a reasonable choice for a high-speed camera.

     

    I'd assume from the article that the 300D, 10D would continue to be 1.6x as they are now, and the 1 series would be FF. I wonder if they come out with something in between if it's considered pro or amateur?

  5. Getting power in is a much bigger challenge.

    Maybe they can use Aqualand or Seiko inertia systems. When you need to take a picture just shake the camera!

    More realistically a sea water battery system that can run parallel!

     

    The digital RS would suit me :P a treat.

     

    F6 smells good, but Kodak will have to do for now!

  6. I predict that all my loaned-out photo equipment will be returned, or I'll be making a little nonstop flight from Atlanta to... oh say London for example.

     

    Jim

    :D :D :D:D

  7. As soon as I saw your name on the thread I knew that was coming!

    I promise you'll get a nice present in Wakatobi :D

  8. I've heard that Staffordshire is lovely in the spring... :D

  9. I'm off to Seychelles soon to join my family so divert the plane! :D

  10. Had to add a prediction based on some rumors...

     

    Canon will announce their new photojournalist / sports dSLR (1D replacement) on January 30th rahter than waiting for PMA as every seems to suspect. There will be a number of pros shooting at the Superbowl with the new camera, and it will be available shortly thereafter, maybe early March.

     

    If there's a second camera to be announced, i.e. a 10d replacement as some have speculated, or a 3D (model up from 10d), it will be announced at PMA.

     

    Wishful thinking I'm sure...

  11. Alright then, let's see how we (well I...) did

     

    1) I will buy a dSLR YES

     

    2) An enterprising CAD/CAM/CNC company will realise that, if they use generic control shafts/gland arrangements, stereotactic capture techniques and generic ports, they can make bespoke housings for cameras of ANY make and model with reasonably rapid turnaround. Not really

     

    3) D-TTL/E-TTL protocols will not be cracked, or if they are, the answers will not be cost-effective, and the Ikelite/Sea and Sea/Seacam's of the world will not bring a product to market to allows use of these protocols. We will all learn to bracket macro exposures really really fast, or buy Fuji S3's (assuming they stay with the nikon original TTL protocol). WRONG ON ALL COUNTS. eTTL cracked by Ikelite and M. Heinreichs, Fuji S3 is dTTL

     

    4) Fuji will stay with the nikon TTL protocol in the S3. It will either stay at the same price point and not be full frame, or go full frame and be cost competitive with the 1Ds. Either way, James will buy one... WRONG, WRONG, NOT YET

     

    5) James will win digital underwater photographer of the year in the Houston Underwater Photographic Society competitions. He'll beat me because he already has a dSLR :DI think I got this right ???

     

    6) Ikelite will launch the Ds-200, which will be the most kick-ass strobe you've ever seen. NOPE

     

     

    I agree with Herb that the megapixel race is pretty much over. I doubt we'll see an 8 MP Olympus point+shoot camera, for instance. WRONG

     

    One out of 6, this reminds me of biochemistry :)

  12. Prediction for 2005: Diving industry, resorts and live-aboards in Southeast Asia will take major blow due to destruction and resulting fears from yesterday's Tsunami.

     

    The Caribbean destinations will pick up on the market demand.

  13. The trick with digital camera predictions is to make as many as possible - and don't worry about the ones you get wrong!

     

    You have to focus on the fact that you were right about you buying a DSLR, Craig! Your predictions are spot on.

     

    Alex

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.